Page 1 of 2
Basically I have a Rivera Chubster, an excellent amp but the drive channel lacks gain for me.

I like the sound of it boosted, but the Rocktron Silver Dragon doesnt get the job done.

So should I use a TS9 as a booster for the drive channel?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Yeah I did that with my Dad's Rivera Jake Combo. Sounded sweeet.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
if you **** around with any tube overdrive it should work.
i use a badmonkey and that works fine
but you can use whatever
Quote by chillage656
if you **** around with any tube overdrive it should work.
i use a badmonkey and that works fine
but you can use whatever

Well this doesnt really explains a lot as I was asking an opinion on specific pedal.
Throw a Tubescreamer infront of it and you should be good to go. Sometimes just the level boost alone is enough for most. But to make it fuller and add good bit of a bump up in gain start cranking the gain knob till you see fit.
Quote by Mitchell?
I would get a clean boost for that.

EH LPB-1, BBE Boosta Grande etc. etc.

I need a gain booster not a clean boost.
Quote by Guitar0player
Well this doesnt really explains a lot as I was asking an opinion on specific pedal.

An overdrive is an overdrive is an overdrive. Most OD's ARE Tubescreamer clones. Most do the same thing. It overdrives the amplifier into a nice crunch - you can boost the gain with settings on the amp, and get a nice, smooth distortion, or push it even further and get a chugga chugga sound.

Clean booster takes the same sound and increases the dB.

Gain takes the sound and adds gain to it - i.e, different sound comes out the otherside.

I am disappointed in you, UG.
A clean boost is simply a way to add additional volume to your signal. The end result depends on your amp. If your amp has enough headroom, it'll stay clean. If you run out of headroom, the amp will distort the boosted signal. So yes, a clean boost can indeed add gain to your sound, and it will keep the same tone with very little coloring. An overdrive set for a clean boost will often have some coloration unless you can completely bypass the drive circuit. As stated by Mitchell, the EHX LPB-1 and BBE Boosta Grande are good budget options for this kind of effect, and there are a ton of boutique options as well.

On the other hand, if you don't like the natural tone of your drive channel at all, you'd be better off using an overdrive pedal like a Tube Screamer with the drive knob up on your clean channel. It's up to you.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
An overdrive is an overdrive is an overdrive. Most OD's ARE Tubescreamer clones. Most do the same thing. It overdrives the amplifier into a nice crunch - you can boost the gain with settings on the amp, and get a nice, smooth distortion, or push it even further and get a chugga chugga sound.

Clean booster takes the same sound and increases the dB.

Gain takes the sound and adds gain to it - i.e, different sound comes out the otherside.

I am disappointed in you, UG.

Well, the reason I said gain is because I am too lazy to write "distortion boost" hoping that most people will understand what I am saying.

I am looking for a way to boost my amps distortion, on the first channel and because it's based on a Marshall(or a British amp in general) I hoped that getting a TS will do the job well and fatten up the tone as well as boost my amp into old school metal territory and add more balls to the lead playing.

Also, I love the natural sound of my amp's distortion.
TS: Have you ever used a clean boost before?

It pushes the front end of your amp harder with more transparency than using an OD as a boost. The problem with using something like a tube screamer as a boost is that it's just not that transparent, it adds it's own EQing into your signal and you get these greasy sounding mids. A clean boost boosts your signal, it doesn't just make things louder, you will get more gain, only without the EQ of an overdrive so you hear a more natural signal from your guitar and you're spared the mud.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Just get a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso. All you'll ever need in terms of boostage. Can be a a clean boost, fatten your sound, thin it out, everything. It's awesome.

http://www.catalinbread.com/SuperChiliPicoso.html

Unfortunately these are not sold here, and I cant order from abroad.
Gain = signal strength
Level boost = more gain.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Guitar0player
Unfortunately these are not sold here, and I cant order from abroad.

As in, if they WERE shippable to Israel, you still wouldn't be able to buy one?

I keep hearing about the bombings and Gaza and things happening down there... Hope it gets settled sooner rather than later,!
Quote by Shinozoku
Gain = signal strength
Level boost = more gain.

Read previous thread posts, I am searching for a distortion booster.

Quote by AcousticLesPaul
As in, if they WERE shippable to Israel, you still wouldn't be able to buy one?

I keep hearing about the bombings and Gaza and things happening down there... Hope it gets settled sooner rather than later,!

Even if they were I cant, mom doesnt have Visa or something.

I hope it gets settled too, war sucks.
Distortion pedal + Distorted amp = mud and feedback.

Ever wonder why amps with lots of distortion are called high GAIN amps? Because they have a lot of gain. Add gain, get more distortion (this is not necessarily the same as adding more distortion, because adding a clean boost will enhance the distortion in the amp instead of adding another kind of distortion to it).

Exactly how have you tried dialing in your Silver Dragon?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Guitar0player

Even if they were I can, mom doesnt have Visa or something.

I hope it gets settled too, war sucks.

I was just wondering because I could probably get one over there...
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
I was just wondering because I could probably get one over there...

Over where?
Quote by Shinozoku
Distortion pedal + Distorted amp = mud and feedback.

Ever wonder why amps with lots of distortion are called high GAIN amps? Because they have a lot of gain. Add gain, get more distortion (this is not necessarily the same as adding more distortion, because adding a clean boost will enhance the distortion in the amp instead of adding another kind of distortion to it).

Exactly how have you tried dialing in your Silver Dragon?

Very little drive, shriek on minimum because it gets all sucky after wards, I rarely use the Slayer setting.
Most of you guys don't even know what gain is....why do you think they call it gain? I think Shinozoku is the only one so far that's go it. Gain is not distortion, it is the amount of power that the signal gains as it goes through the circuit. In the tubescreamer, or any other distortion pedal, the gain happens before the clipping circuit. More gain=more clipping=more distortion. You can have gain without distortion.

On the amp, it's the same thing. Preamp gain refers to the increase in power before the signal hits the preamp tubes. Post gain or power amp gain is the gain after the signal comes from the preamp, before it hits the power amp tubes. Increase either and the tubes begin clipping. Again, more gain=more clipping=more distortion.
Nope, no sig here.
Can we get on with the thread please?

All I wanted is to find out if this is a good pedal to use as an OD for my amp.
that's what i do with my blues jr....set it at at small breakup...use the Ts9 for soft distortion or just to boost rhythm , and a crunch box for a classic distortion
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by nemjeff13
that's what i do with my blues jr....set it at at small breakup...use the Ts9 for soft distortion or just to boost rhythm , and a crunch box for a classic distortion

But I want it to boost the natural OD of my amp into classic metal/fusion territory.
Quote by al112987
TS: Have you ever used a clean boost before?

It pushes the front end of your amp harder with more transparency than using an OD as a boost. The problem with using something like a tube screamer as a boost is that it's just not that transparent, it adds it's own EQing into your signal and you get these greasy sounding mids. A clean boost boosts your signal, it doesn't just make things louder, you will get more gain, only without the EQ of an overdrive so you hear a more natural signal from your guitar and you're spared the mud.

Listen to this guy.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Listen to this guy.

Hmm...but clean boosts are for clean channels...
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Um no...

You learn something new everyday.
Quote by Guitar0player
Hmm...but clean boosts are for clean channels...

I don't want to sound mean but before shooting ideas down, you might want to know what these things do first.

I don't think anyone uses a clean boost on a clean channel, nobody would want to pound the front end of their amp with a clean boost if they wanted a clean tone. It's called a clean boost because it's transparent, it doesn't color your tone, all it does is boost your signal so the integrity of your guitar's natural tone is preserved. A bigger signal hitting the preamp gain stages in your amp equals more preamp gain. Add it to an amp where the front end is already overdriven, and you get even more gain, and you add it with limited noise, more clarity and you maintain the tone of your guitar and amp. An overdrive will add their own clipping to the signal as well as their own distinctive voicing. Will you get more gain using an overdrive on your OD channel? Yes, but you add mud, noise and the tone of the pedal to your sound as well.
Quote by al112987
Will you get more gain using an overdrive on your OD channel? Yes, but you add mud, noise and the tone of the pedal to your sound as well.

That's kinda what I want(except the noise)
Quote by al112987
I don't want to sound mean but before shooting ideas down, you might want to know what these things do first.

I don't think anyone uses a clean boost on a clean channel, nobody would want to pound the front end of their amp with a clean boost if they wanted a clean tone. It's called a clean boost because it's transparent, it doesn't color your tone, all it does is boost your signal so the integrity of your guitar's natural tone is preserved. A bigger signal hitting the preamp gain stages in your amp equals more preamp gain. Add it to an amp where the front end is already overdriven, and you get even more gain, and you add it with limited noise, more clarity and you maintain the tone of your guitar and amp. An overdrive will add their own clipping to the signal as well as their own distinctive voicing. Will you get more gain using an overdrive on your OD channel? Yes, but you add mud, noise and the tone of the pedal to your sound as well.

+(the biggest number you could possibly think of here). At least three or four people, including Al TWICE, and myself once before now, have stated that a clean boost would get you what you want. You said yourself:

Quote by Guitar0player
I am looking for a way to boost my amps distortion, on the first channel and because it's based on a Marshall(or a British amp in general) I hoped that getting a TS will do the job well and fatten up the tone as well as boost my amp into old school metal territory and add more balls to the lead playing.

As you originally thought, yes, a TS WILL do what you want to do, but it will also doctor the tone a bit. Tube Screamers have a natural mid-hump in their frequencies. Thus, those frequencies get a bit more of a volume boost than everything else. If you use a clean boost, you would get an even amplification of all the frequencies your guitar hits, and because of the increased signal, you would get more drive out of your amp. Yes, a clean boost gets you more drive. The name is a bit of a misnomer if you think about the word clean, but it makes sense. A number of people have already stated once before why a clean boost would get you more gain, so I will not beat that dead horse again.

TL;DR: 1) The Tube Screamer as a boost works. 2) A clean boost would be better.
Quote by Guitar0player
That's kinda what I want(except the noise)

That's what noise gates are for.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by mikewaz
+(the biggest number you could possibly think of here). At least three or four people, including Al TWICE, and myself once before now, have stated that a clean boost would get you what you want. You said yourself:

As you originally thought, yes, a TS WILL do what you want to do, but it will also doctor the tone a bit. Tube Screamers have a natural mid-hump in their frequencies. Thus, those frequencies get a bit more of a volume boost than everything else. If you use a clean boost, you would get an even amplification of all the frequencies your guitar hits, and because of the increased signal, you would get more drive out of your amp. Yes, a clean boost gets you more drive. The name is a bit of a misnomer if you think about the word clean, but it makes sense. A number of people have already stated once before why a clean boost would get you more gain, so I will not beat that dead horse again.

TL;DR: 1) The Tube Screamer as a boost works. 2) A clean boost would be better.

I am officially confused, is it gain volume? or gain as in amount of distortion?
What gain REALLY means is the size of a signal, so at it's simplest definition, more gain means a larger signal, but when you have a larger signal coming into an amplifier it's going to overdrive the front end of your amp. And the more gain you add, the more the front end of your amp is going to overdrive, so that's where gain as in the amount of distortion comes in.

You will be increasing gain with a clean boost as well, not as much as if you use an overdrive but again, you'd be loosing clarity and you'd be getting a signal that has already been... "processed" so to speak (though that's not really the best term...), by an OD pedal.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 16, 2009,
Well, the mud is important, as the tone is so bright my ears hurt.
Quote by Guitar0player

Which is exactly why you need a clean boost to push your amp harder.

A OD simulates amp overdrive. A boost pushes your amp harder, meaning more overdrive from your amp.
Quote by Mitchell?
Which is exactly why you need a clean boost to push your amp harder.

A OD simulates amp overdrive. A boost pushes your amp harder, meaning more overdrive from your amp.

So it acts like an attenuator?
Page 1 of 2