How many of you have read Shakespeare's masterpiece Othello? I know most of you probably hate Shakespeare, I actually do too, but when I read Othello, it was different. One thing I've been analyzing about this play is how Othello really isn't the tragic hero of the play, despite his name being the title. I feel as though he is too one-dimensional to really be the focal point of the story, even though the plot generally revolves around him. Also, his gullibility to Iago makes it difficult to relate to Othello. Thoughts?
Oh, beware the green-eyed monster that is jealousy
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Reading Measure for Measure at the moment. My other Lit mate reading Othello says it's OK but he's not as keen on it as he is on modern English.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I ****ING HATE MEASURE FOR MEASURE... it was the worst shakespeare ive EVER read.. i had to do a massive oral presentation on it too. it was horrible
Quote by goest
Aye, they be making the beast with two backs.
Best line in the play, ever!

Wasn't Othello modernized in a movie with that girl from "Save the Last Dance"? How is that movie?
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Last edited by americablanco at Jan 15, 2009,
Doing Othello currently for English Lit in college. Better than the Winters Tale, i tell ya!
lolburger
why would we hate shakespeare??

I've never read it though.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

iago was a bitch ass charecter

try reading king lear. its awesome
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
t'was pretty good... far better than lots of other books i had to read for english lit. the worst one (as in most boring for me) was prolly Jane Eyre. Sad times...
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
You should try studying it for English, you'd come to hate it. And yes, there is one interpretation that Othello is a jealous, self-interested, incompetent, and thoroughly preoccupied with his reputation.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
From what I've heard, Othello is a good play. Even for people who dont like Shakespeare.

I dont like Shakespeare, at all. So I may give it a go.
Quote by slappymoe66
Othello is not gullible, he trust Iago, this makes the story even more of a tragedy. And evidently this makes Othello easier to relate to someone who betrayed you when you had trust i them.

It depends entirely on the way you interpret the text, there are plenty of different ways to see Othello's character. That's the thing about Shakespeare, for the most part he avoids giving stage directions, so a director can take a play by him and mould it to completely alter the audience's sympathies.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I haven't read Othello, but I also hated Shakespeare until I read a specific play. For me, that was Macbeth.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Last edited by Liberation at Mar 11, 2009,
^Shut up. Just...argh! But I did chuckle when I read that.

Quote by slappymoe66
Othello is not gullible, he trust Iago, this makes the story even more of a tragedy. And evidently this makes Othello easier to relate to someone who betrayed you when you had trust i them.
I don't recall how Iago earned Othello's trust if it was ever stated how. So...how (if stated)?
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Last edited by americablanco at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by americablanco
^Shut up. Just...argh! But I did chuckle when I read that.

I don't recall how Iago earned Othello's trust if it was ever stated how. So...how (if stated)?

Othello is naive and obsessed with reputation, Iago has a reputation as being honest, and has served under Othello for some time.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Othello is naive and obsessed with reputation,
This is assumed, though, right?
Iago has a reputation as being honest,
I forgot this
and has served under Othello for some time.
I remember now
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
The character I disliked most was Roderigo - a jealous pussy who was completely oblivious to Iago's manipulation. And Iago laid it on pretty thick when fooling Roderigo's stupid ass.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
I like how an author can be terribly vague, but **** out a mass of books then be hailed as the greatest playwriter of all times because his vague ideas can be interpreted many ways.

FYI, authors GENERALLY tend to have one view of the story in their heads. not 1500. Vague =/= genius.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by Theman5
Othello is a really good play.

This.. I love Shakespeare, in fact my senior year high school I took shakespearean english and it was ****ing awesome. We red othello, twelfth night and henry the V pt 2.
Quote by Devopast
I like how an author can be terribly vague, but **** out a mass of books then be hailed as the greatest playwriter of all times because his vague ideas can be interpreted many ways.

FYI, authors GENERALLY tend to have one view of the story in their heads. not 1500. Vague =/= genius.

You're right, in all great works of literature there should be no thought involved on the part of the reader. The author should come out and literally say everything he wishes to convey to the audience without leaving a single detail unspoken for. A great piece of literature should be able to be interpreted in many ways by the audience.
Quote by cash49

Anyone remember Othello the board game?

Yep. It's a generic name for Reversi.

Reality: Haven't read Othello. I'll probably have to eventually (English major, writing emphasis).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

After reading the play I thought that Othello was shallow, immature, vainglorious, violent and terribly gullible. Also very dishonest.

Iago, whilst clearly not pleasant, is a character without a moral centre who never aspires to such and I'm not surprised when he orchestrates violence. Othello is the general, the leader... and he smothers his wife in their wedding bed.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Othello was def. my favourite shakespearean play.
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
Quote by Devopast

You ask somebody what they were trying to say in something they wrote. Nine times out of ten, if they put a large quantity of effort into it, they'll tell you to piss off. Part of the meaning comes from figuring it out.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Shakespeare was a playwrighting 'genius' because a lot of his ideas had so much foresight, even if he never intended them to have such. Take Othello for example - the way Othello treats his wife (before Iago convinces him that she loves Cassio) is such a modern concept. He treats her with not just courtesy, but with respect and almost a sense of equality - this was never true in the Western world until well into the 19th and 20th centuries.

Vagueness is a mere by-product of how large the scopes of his plays are. They touch upon so many ideas and concepts that it's almost impossible to centralize the angles of his plays into one narrow view.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
I don't see how you could call Othello one dimensional
Depending on how you wish to portray him you can have Othello the gullible fool, Othello the noble warrior, Othello who loves too much, Othello who loves too little, etc
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Riddler
the way Othello treats his wife (before Iago convinces him that she loves Cassio) is such a modern concept. He treats her with not just courtesy, but with respect and almost a sense of equality - this was never true in the Western world until well into the 19th and 20th centuries.

Got another example for ya.
Quote by Sonnet 130
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I read one Shakespeare play for class when I was 14 years old. It was Romeo and Juliet, and i absolutely hated it. This year though, my senior year, we are going through Macbeth, and I thought it was just going to be a couple weeks of English class I would just hate. I actually am really enjoying Macbeth, and whenever my class finishes it I will read Othello, and maybe some of his other plays.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Some of the lines were unintentionally hilarious. There was this one

"a black ram tupping his white ewe" that made the whole class crack up.

Also, I like how everyone dies except Iago.
Quote by Stoner0405
How many of you have read Shakespeare's masterpiece Othello? I know most of you probably hate Shakespeare, I actually do too, but when I read Othello, it was different. One thing I've been analyzing about this play is how Othello really isn't the tragic hero of the play, despite his name being the title. I feel as though he is too one-dimensional to really be the focal point of the story, even though the plot generally revolves around him. Also, his gullibility to Iago makes it difficult to relate to Othello. Thoughts?

I thought the most interesting characters were Iago and his wife.
Othello is my favorite Shakespeare play, I think.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!