Does anyone know any songs that would be a good starting poing for a bassist interested in playing jazz? I don't mind if it's just a normal song (eg: no solos and stuff) just as long as it's not ridiculously hard

Thankyou bass forum
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Van Morrisons bassline for Moondance would be a good intro to a walking jazz bassline.
Quote by MorbidBeliever
autumn leaves is pretty awesome... at least for guitar... its also ok for walking bassline

Yeah that's what I was gonna say. It's a pretty good walking bass song for beginning jazz players.
Quote by Casketcreep
Surely the bassis of Jazz is improv, so learning a 'jazz sounding' song is rather pointless.

You should learn the theory behind it, UG has a great article somewhere on it.

Before you learn to improv you need to learn the basics, which is what he wants. So look up songs that have ii-V-I progressions that are popular so you can learn how to walk a proper bassline.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Before you learn to improv you need to learn the basics, which is what he wants. So look up songs that have ii-V-I progressions that are popular so you can learn how to walk a proper bassline.

I wiki'd this..

YES!

srvflood, I owe you a cookie
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Learn Chameleon by Herbie Hancock. That's the first song I learned. I don't know that's probably more funk than jazz.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
This thread contains some of the worst advice ever for someone wanting to start learning jazz.

Jazz, like most genres, is split into several sub genres that are distinct from each other. But as an overall jazz introduction. Before you start playing, get listening.

Go out and buy the classic albums by Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, and many more. And listen to jazz, most of playing jazz is listening to jazz, and know what it IS. Which is vital in trying to play it.

After that, expand your harmonic knowledge, understand how chords are formed. How the bassline fits into that in jazz contexts (i.e. walking etc.) and then transcribe how the greats did it, and apply that into your own playing.

For walking basslines, I also reccomend Todd Johnsons DVDs on walking basslines, he really helps to simplify all of it down.

I'm by far an expert in the subject, but hopefully this helps.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Last edited by Forcemaster at Jan 15, 2009,
Playing jazz bass can feel like boiling the ocean at times, there is so much to know and master. Your knowledge of theory (modes, chord construction, chord progression etc etc) needs to be subconscious and automatic. It can be difficult but it can be incredibly rewarding and you will notice that your overall playing across the board will benefit tremendously as a result.

The DVD Forcemaster has recommended is solid. If you want to get serious about playing jazz bass on electric, Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Bass Book is a good solid instruction book.

For beginning songs--here's a good starter list:

Autumn Leaves
Summertime
Green Dolphin Street
All Blues (Miles Davis)
Cantaloupe Island and Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock)
Song for My Father (Horace Silver )

And give Sinan's thread a read. There's much more info there than any of us can cover in a single post in this thread.
I would look up miles davis for good jazz basslines, he's one of my all time favourite jazz musicians.

Also you should learn about the forms of jazz and stuff for improv' since most of jazz, for me anyway, is improv'.

Do you have a teacher or are you teaching yourself?
WHOA! Thanks for the input guys, i owe you ALL a cookie

Quote by Bass First
Do you have a teacher or are you teaching yourself?

I'm teaching myself, I know it seems a stupid idea, but my last 'teacher' wasn't a bassist at all, he was a classical guitarist, so i'm tired of paying for bollocks all now

Thanks again everyone!
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Jan 16, 2009,