Page 1 of 2
Land of the obese
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

it's like having a cigarette tax. only now we're preventing people getting fat.
Sent from my iPad.
diet sodas worse for your metabolism than normal soda. kinda counterproductive dont ya think?
1/3 of Americans are obese...So its a place to start...

Of course, It wouldn't affect me a bit, I haven't had soda in years...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by paintITblack39

you're not preventing smoking with the tax, you're just making money off of it.
I stopped drinking soda on January 1st, 2007.

Felt better when i stopped.
Maybe NY will too.
Quote by z4twenny
diet sodas worse for your metabolism than normal soda. kinda counterproductive dont ya think?

Taxing soda doesnt make you buy diet soda.

Sodas cheap as dirt anyway.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

I actually really approve of the **** Gov. Patterson has been doing since taking over for that **** Spitzer...

Oh yeah, I'm a NYer by the way...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I would approve of this if it didn't take 3% of the money away from education. Seriously, schools need all the help they can get.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I feel like I should pay you in sexual favors for that truly fapic story.

Quote by esther_mouse
Aww thank you sweetie Made my day a little bit brighter.

^that post and others like it made mine a Lot brighter.
Quote by paintITblack39

Yeah I don't see a problem with it at all actually.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by kaosfire
Taxing soda doesnt make you buy diet soda.

Sodas cheap as dirt anyway.

Carbonated Cans here are about 50 - 80p depending on where you buy it from. It's too expensive.
Quote by TunerAddict
1/3 of Americans are obese...So its a place to start...

Of course, It wouldn't affect me a bit, I haven't had soda in years...

because making soda more expensive makes people lose weight and keeps them from eating a whole bag of potato chips in one sitting

government, gtfo with your social engineering.

EDIT:
Quote by FishCream
I would approve of this if it didn't take 3% of the money away from education. Seriously, schools need all the help they can get.

not only are they cutting education 3%, but they are also increasing my SUNY tuition. make sense? of course not.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Jan 15, 2009,
If I lived in NY, this wouldn't make me stop buying regular sodas, I'd just make me poorer cause I've been dependent on caffeine and hated coffee and diet sodas since I was, like, 7.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
because making soda more expensive makes people lose weight and keeps them from eating a whole bag of potato chips in one sitting

government, gtfo with your social engineering.

This
Last edited by tonedeafidiot at Jan 15, 2009,
Today its sodas, tomorrow its our freedom
If we really are free men, we should be able to do whatever the hell we want within the bounds of the criminal law, and the government shouldnt do ****
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by z4twenny
you're not preventing smoking with the tax, you're just making money off of it.

it serves as an incentive for people to quit smoking.
Sent from my iPad.
Ya cause drinking Pepsi is the reason why so many people are over weight. While we're at it why don't we tax idiocracy and freedom of choice. That should fill the coffers up quite nicely.
Origanally Posted by Rocko Mummble:
A menage a trois means a threesome??

I always thought it meant eating with two other people...
Quote by Siege of Power
Today its sodas, tomorrow its our freedom
If we really are free men, we should be able to do whatever the hell we want within the bounds of the criminal law, and the government shouldnt do ****

Down with taxes! Down with governmental income!
Quote by paintITblack39

so, charging people money is an ethical way to force people into doing what you want?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by paintITblack39

My uncles have been trying to quit smoking for at least a decade. Statistically speaking, it's not going to happen. If anything, all it does is prevent people from smoking in the first place.
Last edited by tonedeafidiot at Jan 15, 2009,
Dumb.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by boreamor
Increase the price on ever non-diet soda?

Oh, the thread title suggested that only obese people had to pay it... misread on my part. I still doubt it will be passed.
Quote by bendystraw
Oh, the thread title suggested that only obese people had to pay it... misread on my part. I still doubt it will be passed.

Lol that'd be hilarious

Cashier: Please stand on the scale.
*Scale goes to 214lbs*
Cashier: You're 214lbs at 5'5"...
You: Yeah
Cashier: That's £5 please.
You: It was 60p a minute ago!
Cashier: That was before you broke my scale, sir.

God, we're fat.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
so, charging people money is an ethical way to force people into doing what you want?

People impose a negative externality on society when they consume unhealthy foods, it's only ethical that they're forced to pay up to subvention activites that counter-act these negative externalities.
I dont know why I tried to have a logical discussion on a board with 14 year olds, musta forgot where I was.

Anything "taken away" is deemed an apocalypse.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by NoLaurelTree000

Welcome to capitalism bitch
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by paintITblack39

The incentive to quit smoking is being healthy. To tax something in an effort to prevent it is not by any means effective. But it's a good way for the government to take advantage of peoples addictions. The tax on fuel is insane as well but we will always need fuel so they will jack the taxes up on it. Now, they want an obesity tax so they can cash in on fat people.

It's quite sickening.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
People impose a negative externality on society when they consume unhealthy foods, it's only ethical that they're forced to pay up to subvention activites that counter-act these negative externalities.

how?

if im fat, how does that effect you?

and why is it the role of the government to PROFIT off it in the name of doing the greater good. too much mixing of interests for my tastes.

Quote by kaosfire
I dont know why I tried to have a logical discussion on a board with 14 year olds, musta forgot where I was.

Anything "taken away" is deemed an apocalypse.

im not saying this legislation is the end of the world, but its just another checkmark on the government's BS list.

Quote by TunerAddict
Welcome to capitalism bitch

i dont think the government falls under the capitalist enterprise.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
how?

and why is it the role of the government to PROFIT off it in the name of doing the greater good. too much mixing of interests for my tastes.

Well in Canada it means more people would take care of free health-care, I guess it isn't really justified in the states though.

The government aren't profiting from this, they don't simply take your money and not give anything back...
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

i dont think the government falls under the capitalist enterprise.

Oh, I didn't mean the gov't..I meant society...In this capitalistic, material driven society, its just that little tax that makes it hurt. People are so overly concerned with money that it becomes an issue.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Dude that's a good idea. Maybe now people will lose weight.

Says the fat guy who loves soda.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Originally posted by NoLaurelTree000

how?

Airlines are a good example as to how overweight people are affecting non overweight people. They are being forced to accommodate to larger people by providing an extra seat at no charge. Did the airline make you fat? I doubt it. Sorry, but I think that they should have to pay for that extra seat and not force others to foot the bill by raising ticket prices to cover for it.
Origanally Posted by Rocko Mummble:
A menage a trois means a threesome??

I always thought it meant eating with two other people...
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Well in Canada it means more people would take care of free health-care, I guess it isn't really justified in the states though.

The government aren't profiting from this, they don't simply take your money and not give anything back...

the reason that they are implementing this is to try to eliminate a 15 billion dollar deficit. i cant help but be bothered when the government spends more money than they have (read mismanage it) and then turn around and expect the american public to foot the bill on top of all the other taxes we already have.

Quote by Smooth_11
Airlines are a good example as to how overweight people are affecting non overweight people. They are being forced to accommodate to larger people by providing an extra seat at no charge. Did the airline make you fat? I doubt it. Sorry, but I think that they should have to pay for that extra seat and not force others to foot the bill by raising ticket prices to cover for it.

thats a private enterprise and they can really charge whatever they want. im not saying i necessarily disagree with you, but it isnt justification for government intervention via social engineering.

quite honestly, i have every right to be as fat or as skinny as i want you really dont have any right to say shit about it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
the reason that they are implementing this is to try to eliminate a 15 billion dollar deficit. i cant help but be bothered when the government spends more money than they have (read mismanage it) and then turn around and expect the american public to foot the bill on top of all the other taxes we already have.

Well it's by far an inefficient method of eliminating that deficit, no economist would have proposed it, especially during a recession.
Page 1 of 2