I'm used to recording on digital 8 or 16 tracks but I've decided to make the switch to laptop recording for unlimited tracks and just a better general handle on the production. Three questions

1) Would I need 1/4" and mic to USB adaptors to plug into my macbook to record?
2) Would I be better off buying some sort of preamp software for guitar and keys or just mic them with a good mic?
3) Any other general tips for someone in my position?
it depends what you want your recording to sound like. if you plug your guitar straight into the computer it will sound really really bad. if i were you i would just buy a a sm 57 and mic your guitar amp
SM 57's, a lot of other people have mentioned them to me. I'm going to do some looking into them right now, are they like the typical recording mic?
Quote by fattyDQ
SM 57's, a lot of other people have mentioned them to me. I'm going to do some looking into them right now, are they like the typical recording mic?

Typical guitar amp mic, same with snare, and sometimes vocals. "Industry standard" guitar amp and snare mic.
Quote by fattyDQ
I'm used to recording on digital 8 or 16 tracks but I've decided to make the switch to laptop recording for unlimited tracks and just a better general handle on the production. Three questions

1) Would I need 1/4" and mic to USB adaptors to plug into my macbook to record?
2) Would I be better off buying some sort of preamp software for guitar and keys or just mic them with a good mic?
3) Any other general tips for someone in my position?

What you should look into is a firewire or USB 2.0 audio interface.
I suggest any of the following:

EMU 0202
EMU 0404
PreSonus Inspire 1394
PreSonus FP10
You can record directly into your laptop with an SM57. And I suggest you give it a try. Many if not most laptops only have a mic interface. You need a mic interface to get the required gain for your mic. The problem with mic interfaces on computers is that they are prone to noise injection. But you can only know how bad or good by trying it.

The SM57 is a dynamic mic, which means it needs no outside power like a condensor mic. You can plug it directly into your mic port with an adapter. There are lower cost alternatives to bring audio into your computer. The Alexis multimix 8 USB mixer is about $160 and will give you 2 distinct channels in your mix. If you are trying to save money I would go for something like that.

On the really cheap, you could get a $30 Art preamp and turn off the 20DB boost on your mic input and get a single channel of input. Turning off the boost will make you sound input more resistance to noise. You could even get a condenser mic as the Art has phantom power.