How hard would it be to make an acoustic guitar? And could I use a neck from an electric guitar? Sorry if this is stupid, I'm a noob at this stuff. I only plays the guitars.
You couldn't really use a neck from an electric, unless you made a non traditional acoustic.

It wouldn't cost THAT much. Maybe 300-500$. But it would be so much labor if you didn't know what you were doing. Trust me, one of my dads friends makes acoustic guitars. It's always fun to try, but if you don't have a bunch of tools, a couple of ones meant for guitar and a hell of a lot of knowledge, just buy one.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Are you talking about building it from scratch? If so its pretty hard. And no you cant use an electric neck.

For a first time I'd recommend getting a kit.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by Artemis Entreri
You couldn't really use a neck from an electric, unless you made a non traditional acoustic.

I was thinking about making an acoustic, but a different type of acoustic. So it would be called a non traditional acoustic? I'm just wondering if it would work.

What woods would I need?
Have you ever built ANYTHING with wood before? A table? Shelf? Anything. And do you have a workshop full of tools or access to one?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Have you ever built ANYTHING with wood before? A table? Shelf? Anything. And do you have a workshop full of tools or access to one?

I wouldn't say a workshop but I'm pretty sure we have all the tools required. I just didn't know if I'm going to need a special type of wood or not.
Quote by TatarSalad2
I wouldn't say a workshop but I'm pretty sure we have all the tools required. I just didn't know if I'm going to need a special type of wood or not.

Well, if you have the tools, it's really more about the sound you want. Mahogany or Rosewood. Some spruce for a top.

Sorry if I'm skeptical. But my father is an excellent craftsman, he's made 16 kentucky rifles and most of the furniture in our house. We had a hell of a time even attempting to make an acoustic.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by TatarSalad2
Ok thank you.

But would the electric neck work?

I'm not going to say no. But I am going to say I have no idea how.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by TatarSalad2
So try it?

Yeah go for it. I'm going to tell you to not be disappointed if it doesn't work because electric and acoustic necks are so different at the heel and require different builds.

But I mean give it a shot, you might come out with something cool.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
for your first acousitc build and first build in general, dont try to something crazy like givng it an electric neck. acoustic guitars usually have more tension on their strings and acoustic necks are usually wider than electric necks. it wouldnt work man. and how would you do that? you have to do a set neck beacuse acoustics dont have bolt-ons or neck thrus. and for a first build you wanna do a set neck? its not that easy to make a guitar ya know. trust me.
Well, there are bolt-on acoustic necks (all taylors and some other brands). They work the same as a regular acoustic neck, but have bolts instead of glue.

An electric neck (unless its from a hollowbody guitar) WILL NOT work for a standard acoustic, you would have to build it with very thick wood, and have a fully supported back and top (to the point that it negates any advantages of having an acoustic). You would essentially have to build a very thick bodied semi-hollowbody electric.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Melvyn Hiscock has released a 'build your own acoustic' book and considering the sucess of his electric guitar book and how well it copes with beginners, I suggest you buy the acoustic book, read it a few times, and then start planning.

I do not suggest you use a bolt on electric neck or you will be designing the acoustic around it to allow you to use the neck. Its not really advantagous to go to that much trouble for a ready made neck.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i dont know about the neck part but i say give it a try. im building my first instrument(a mandolin) and its going very well. im taking it slow and making sure of all my measurements.

so as long as you take your time and double check everything, i dont see any reason why someone will basic knowledge and patience couldn't build something

good luck
Gian
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits.html

Get one of those, if you can do that, then you have a good foundation for building from scratch.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by Absent Mind
Melvyn Hiscock has released a 'build your own acoustic' book and considering the sucess of his electric guitar book and how well it copes with beginners, I suggest you buy the acoustic book, read it a few times, and then start planning.

I do not suggest you use a bolt on electric neck or you will be designing the acoustic around it to allow you to use the neck. Its not really advantagous to go to that much trouble for a ready made neck.

Yeah I pre-ordered that it was supposed to be out 2 weeks ago and it's still on pre-order .
I am about to attempt an acoustic build. I am a good woodworker and have built many electric guitars but the whole thing will be a challenge I am reading every book I can get on acoustic guitar building besides a few classical ones. I'm on my 6th one right now and still have 3 more to go. There's a lot too it not just making one that works but making one that sounds good. You might be able to figure out a way to use an electric neck if you want. Acoustics are much harder than electrics.