Well it turns out some of my favorite **** is metalcore like btbam and all that remains. hah i consider btbam just progressive metal, but progressive metalcore? Bah too long of a word. I like megadeth, testament, and all that other thrash stuff too.

But anyway I like variety in my music. I like the whole Progressive thing going on. Idk what it is but whenever i hear a band like btbam being all heavy as they are. and the next minute jazz scales leading to soft solos. (ex. Mordecai) it just makes me jizz myself. Buutt anyways I just want to discover more bands. If it helps some other stuff i like is Trivium (yeah i know go ahead flame me), As Blood Runs Black, BFMV (again, flame me), Buckethead :].

Thanks if you can help
Learn some Muddy Waters. I'm not kidding! Learning to play slow is crucial to development.
Bloodbath
Cannibal Corpse
Decapitated
Suffocation
Dimmu Borgir
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
try the guitar to some early Replacements, they're probably the best amalgation of Hardcore Punk with Blues, at least on their first couple, not that their later stuff wasn't godlike
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by xxxanarchlxix
whats btbam? i think ive seen that before.

Between The Buried And Me
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
btbam=Between the Buried and Me. A Progessive Metal band that i lovvvee dearly

And thanks guys. Keep em comin'
Recent Mastodon, like Blood Mountain and Leviathan, is really awesome prog metal. John 5's solo stuff is really cool, goes from being very metal to a sort of country vibe to it, and hes a pretty amazing guitar player in either style. Maybe Fall of Troy if you don't mind his screams, im sure some people would. Act One, Scene One has that kind of heavy for the first part, then a lot less heavy part and solo, its an awesome song.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Jan 15, 2009,
Circa Survive is pretty good, not too much instrumental flaunting though
there's always Opeth

Thrice is good, especially Vhiessu and Artist In The Ambulance, I loved Alchemy Index, but only half is really Hardcore
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Drums mostly. I like complicated double bass jazzy metal drums lol. Song structure second. Lead, then bass. and then of course vocals.
Cynic, Atheist, Pestilence, Demilich, Into Eternity, UneXpect, Tesseract, Textures, Quo Vadis, Arsis, Vale of Pnath, Anata, Strapping Young Lad, Sculptured, Lykathea Aflame, Drottnar, and Genghis Tron.
You will love Opeth and Cynic if you like BTBAM. I'd also recommend Dillinger Escape Plan, Protest the Hero and The Arusha Accord.

EDIT: SikTh would be another good band to check out. Their vocals takes some getting used to though.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Last edited by deathnote29 at Jan 17, 2009,
Yes, go listen to The Dillinger Escape Plan ASAP! Ire Works incorporates the widest variety of styles out of their three full-lengths. You have their standard abrasive, dissonant beatdowns, some electronic weirdness and some catchy vocal melodies here and there. And to top it off, the closer of Ire Works could almost fool you into it being a mellow jazz tune before it ends in a crashing avalanche of dissonant riffs. It's an awesome album.

Here are some of their songs.

"Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants" by The Dillinger Escape Plan, Miss Machine

"Fix Your Face" by The Dillinger Escape Plan, Ire Works

"Milk Lizard" by The Dillinger Escape Plan, Ire Works

"Unretrofied" by The Dillinger Escape Plan, Miss Machine

Their first album, Calculating Infinity is a very different beast in comparison to Miss Machine and Ire Works. The overwhelming majority of it is angular, dissonant, metalcore that screws around with your head by constantly shifting time signatures. I love it. Still, I suggest you check outIre Works and Miss Machine first. Calculating Infinity may take a while to get your head around.
TS, this is exactly my situation. practically fukkin' verbatim.

i've already seen TDEP mentioned here, and dminishedthingy's list was complete and comprehensively total. i have nothing left to recommend except Botch. they practically define mathcore, and if there's such a thing as progressive hardcore, they definitely fall into that.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Oh wow. Textures is a really really good band o_o thanks for mentioning them. Hmm that reminds me i should listen to more of The Human Abstract. I found out about them recently and only heard a couple songs. *musicgasms*

TDEP is good also even though ive heard them before. But i guess nows the time to get into them since you gave me some songs :]
Go listen to Lye By Mistake
They got the jazz solos down to a science.
And they fvcking shred.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
If you like different drum patterns check out some screamo bands. City of Caterpillar have a somewhat jazzy influence.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo