Alrighty, I am the lead guitarist for my band right now and I do my best to run the show as best as I can without screwing things up. We have been together for 5 months, our musical tastes are mostly similar. The difference is the drummer and bassist like grunge where I hate it, and I like a few new bands (BFMV, Theory of a Deadman, Nickelback, and Hinder) that they cannot stand. Our covers from the 50's through 80's we have no problem with.

We however have been working on alot of our own stuff but cannot get a single one finished. I own a boss micro br and we record every idea that we have, and surprisingly we have recorded decent like scray good for one mic drums so we have a chance for a decent demo cd. However we cannot get a single song finished. We have 7 un-finished electric projects and 4 un-finished acoustic projects.

Also any helps on getting a gig? Our first one is Jan 30th and our second is March 14th... there both cover gigs for benefiets concerts but once we have our own stuff, what is the most effective way to get a gig?

Thank you in advance, and I have been reading alot around here but I cannot find anything about finishing your first song. So I thought I would ask.

Thank you for your help
~CMV
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Writing and finishing a song is as simple as this: Write three riffs, and arrange them. There is your song! Listen to my music on my page, I follow the same general principle. After that, I should mention that multitracking when you record is the way to go. Overdubs, if you will... set the drums to a click track, erase the click track, then record bass, guitars, then vox. do solos last, imo.
Sounds like you guys just need to focus. I'm also an artist, and there is a famous qoute that I like:

"Art is never finished, it is simply abandoned."

Focus and agree to walk away with what you have.

The gig thing... hit every dive in town and ask if they do live performances, tip the bartender big, and pray to god he puts in a good word. FYI as a general rule of theumb the sad truth is no one gives a **** about you creativity, they just want to hear covers... getting your own material out there is rough. Even Chuck Berry start playing covers
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Alrighty, That would does make sense. We tend to go from one that has roots of Ac/Dc to all of a sudden sounding like Randy Rhoads to our Simon and Garnfunkel acoustics. Our next practice is sunday and I think I am going to put my foot down and intro duce three new riffs, Zach can easlily put drums behind andthing I come up with. So that should not be a problem.

BTW... I listened to your profile music, I have to say that is some pretty good stuff, did you home record?
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Quote by gizmodious

The gig thing... hit every dive in town and ask if they do live performances, tip the bartender big, and pray to god he puts in a good word. FYI as a general rule of theumb the sad truth is no one gives a **** about you creativity, they just want to hear covers... getting your own material out there is rough. Even Chuck Berry start playing covers

Alrighty, this I can agree with you on this and that is why we do so many covers but we do have obne venue. The ModernX that is for local bands to play there music, I just have never gone to the place. Once we have our stuff I guess this is gonna be the first place, till then covers galore it is and maybe throw in one of our own in the middle to see how they re-act.
Bring Back the Music

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
Quote by SoulTrip
Writing and finishing a song is as simple as this: Write three riffs, and arrange them. There is your song! Listen to my music on my page, I follow the same general principle. After that, I should mention that multitracking when you record is the way to go. Overdubs, if you will... set the drums to a click track, erase the click track, then record bass, guitars, then vox. do solos last, imo.

wow dude, that ****'s pretty decent. Keep up the good work.
Just be aware that there isn't really a magic formula, you just have to kind of go with it, and not be overly critical. The more you write the better you'll get. Sometimes keeping things simple is the best option.
you guys need to find common ground, maybe unfamiliar ground to build on. my band all have different musical backgrounds, i hate some of the drummers favorite bands(i call em 70's and 80's cheese rock), and he dosnt like mine(early 90's/late 80's punk,50's and 60's rock). yet we have alot of common ground(funk, grunge) but we mixed it, and we all love what we do. give us a listen if you want.

for organizing a song, the 3 part thing is a good building block, once you get your first few out, you can see how to write transitions/end songs.

and yes, if you can record multipule tracks, do it that way. we usta keep one mic in the room and record our practices, or use a zune mp3 player to record, but once we did a few songs multi tracked, its night and day difference. our myspace has 2 live recordings, and 2 tracked ones. "idiot savant" was mixed and produced by me using adobe audition, raindance was done by a guy at this studio we won free recording time at. both played "live", but recorded on individual tracks. no click tracks etc. we did it cheap, but effective. good enough for a demo.