So, I have a friend that has a lot of pine wood laying around and I want to build a bass. I have all the equipment I need to cut the wood for the body. I just need to know a few things:

1. I want to buy GFS bass pickups for it, does anyone have experience with them?
2. For a neck I am considering a *holds flame shield* SX P-bass neck. I've heard good things about the basses off rondo music.
3. What is the best way to glue 3 pieces of wood together for the body?
4. I want to make it look like a Tele. Where could I find a body template?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I don't want it to look like a 50's Tele P-bass (even though they are sweet) I want it to look like a tele guitar body shape. So far, I've no luck finding a template. Will I just have to draw my own?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Last edited by Sonis3 at Jan 16, 2009,
most people dont use pine, but it could work well for a bass, plus if you've got a lot of it laying around you may as well. the most important advice I have is measure. measure twice, then measure again. then measure your plans, and make sure it measures the same as what you're going to cut. then when you pull out your cutting tool, measure again.
Leo Fender used pine before he moved onto alder and ash.

Go for it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
There will be alot more pressure on the body from the bass string's than there is from guitar string's. maybe you could make the center of the guitar from a strong wood and use the pine for the wings of the guitar, that way, the bridge and neck would be attached to the hard centre wood and there wouldnt be much pressure on the pine.

I haven't had any experience with the pickups or the SX basses, but i have also heard that they are of very good qaulity, you could alway's send it back if you didnt like it, it's the law

for the template there is a thread on these forums, called "ultimate template thread" or something like that, you'll find everything you need in there.

About glueing the wood, you'll need some long clamps so you can clamp the wood together tightly and also you'll need to make sure that it doesnt move in any direction, vertical and horizontal while the glue is drying, so placing a heavy object onto of the wood while the clamps are on would help. I cant remember the name but i think alot of people here use some form of very strong wood glue, perhaps tightbond?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Thanks for the responses! I'll go check that out. What do you guys think of GFS brides and tuners?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Bumpity bump.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Quote by Sonis3
Thanks for the responses! I'll go check that out. What do you guys think of GFS brides and tuners?

I was gonna talk about 50s tele p-bass bodies, then I seen your edit. Have you tried any other companies? (for pups, tuners, bridges) in my opinion the Gotoh 201 bridge and Gotoh tuners are fantastic. I'm currently in the process of purchasing an SX neck at the moment (Maple with white blocks, J neck), I've only heard good things about the necks and the company itself.

In terms of pickups, what kinda sound are you looking for? I wouldnt wanna say Seymour Duncan SB3s if you're looking for an old school, R n B thump tone lol.
This is my first build, so I want to keep it as cheap as possible, at least in the planning stages. I might just get some Fender '62 p bass pickups or go for the SB3's like you were suggesting. My cheapo estimate has come out to $150. I work for my parent's in the summer, and last year I got $250 and bought a digitech RP 350. When I get my money, I'll update my spending plan.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Ba-ba-bump
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22