I recieved a BOSS DS-1 pedal for X-Mas and I think it is a ver ygood pedal, and can be used for almost any style of music. What are your opinions on this pedal?
Piece of crap, way too trebly and harsh. Very muddy/flabby. Needs to be modded. I bought one for 30 bucks and my friend gave me one and they are terrible.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
speaking of this pedal, i would like to sell mine. my tube amp gets a much better distortion than this goofy pedal.

i agree with mmolteratx. way too much treble and just sounds overall annoying.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
I thought it sounded a little bad, but I didn;'t think it was that bad..then again I only use it for practise, and i've never used it live...
its had advantages, i view it as more of an OD pedal due to its treble settings. Personally, i have an ML-2 and acheive many types of rock through heavy metal with it, and find it more capable of simple tasks than the ds-1, but still, the DS-1 isn't horrible, just not hte greatest in my opinion
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Its ok for a first pedal, but its very moddable, which, in the long run, is a good idea if you want a better sound. And most of the mods seem to be just replacing components rather than adding anything too major.
If you know how to use it it's not bad. But it just doesn't work for some people.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
In some of our songs we use a lot of feedback and I find that if you hook this with another metal pedal(not sure of brand), that it get REALLY nice, but not too squeaky feedback that I really like!!! Try it with a DX metal padel..it might b that...
Its pretty good.

I got one as my first pedal but eventually switched to a BOSS OS-2 (and that is much better.)

I crank up the gain all the way on that pedal instead of buying a metal pedal, I saved $80 right there. I am too cheap to buy a metal pedal.

Oh well, I don't play metal anyway. I just want something to get by with.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jan 15, 2009,
Ya...I hook a metal pedal and this up to get really nice feedback!!!
Quote by sa007ak
In some of our songs we use a lot of feedback and I find that if you hook this with another metal pedal(not sure of brand), that it get REALLY nice, but not too squeaky feedback that I really like!!! Try it with a DX metal padel..it might b that...

No, I've tried it with basically everything. It's basically the Spider/MG of distortion pedals.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ya....I also got a Digitech RP50....i lik that too....
Last edited by sa007ak at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by BeerChurch
high-gain tube amp + modded DS1 = Steve Vai

I think you meant to say this. The stock DS-1 will get you nowhere near Steve Vai.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by BeerChurch
The Ds-1 has been a part of Vai's tone since before you were born.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a d-bag. I was just saying that Steve Vai's tone has way more to it than a stock DS-1.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a d-bag. I was just saying that Steve Vai's tone has way more to it than a stock DS-1.

I have one with my tube amp and I get some annoying feedback sometimes with it. How do you mod these things, or is it better to just get and OS-2?
i hate it, treble, harsh, noise....theres a reason its so cheap, it's just a mess and takes away any tone from your guitar...i got a crunch box (yes a $100 more) and revelutionized my thoughts on distortion pedals
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by bigfoamfinger
I have one with my tube amp and I get some annoying feedback sometimes with it. How do you mod these things, or is it better to just get and OS-2?

I believe there are kits to mod it that you can find on the internet, but I'm not sure about those. Or you can send it to Analogman or Keeley and I think they charge 75USD for the mod, or at least Keeley does. Vai used to use the Keeley until the Jemini came out and he probably still uses it, just off to the side where no one can see it. I've tried both and liked the Keeley better. I'm sure you could also find a schematic but those can be unreliable and it's usually hard to find quality parts in small quantities.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT