So I built a computer for my girlfriend out of spare parts ('cos her old one was this horribly old thing, with a Pentium 3 processor)
But it turns out the RAM in her old computer wouldn't fit in her new one.
Which means I could only put half the RAM in (512mb) and the computer runs horribly slow.
So I was online looking for some more RAM, and I think I found what I need, but Crucial.com says the computer only takes PC2700, and the RAM I found is PC2100, and I don't know if it'll work because I have NO idea what the hell those numbers mean.

On top of that, over at her house, the screen glitches, but at my house it doesn't. I couldn't get the other video card working either. I have no idea whats causing it. All I can think of is either the surge protector thats right next to it, or the fact that it's on it's side.

Any ideas?

tl;dr
Anyone know what PC2100 means on RAM? and any idea why the screen glitches?
Quote by walkingminstral
Screen glitch could be either no working video card or no drivers installed for it

Drivers are installed and such.
It worked fine at home, and when I brought it to her house, it stopped working.
The RAM would work, the PC2700 just means that the maximum speed your RAM would run at (not very fast) PC2100 would only be slowing down the system further (not that big a difference though). You may be right in your assumptions on the screen glitches. Line conditioners, some sugre protector, etc can easily cause those glitches if placed to near to the system and some discolouration if to close to the monitor. Try moving it away and see what happens?

What do you mean you couldn't get the video card to work? Was it able to fit in the slot? Were you able to see anything on screen? Did you set it as default in the BIOS?

Hope I was of some assistance...
Quote by WHIZZard
The RAM would work, the PC2700 just means that the maximum speed your RAM would run at (not very fast) PC2100 would only be slowing down the system further (not that big a difference though). You may be right in your assumptions on the screen glitches. Line conditioners, some sugre protector, etc can easily cause those glitches if placed to near to the system and some discolouration if to close to the monitor. Try moving it away and see what happens?

What do you mean you couldn't get the video card to work? Was it able to fit in the slot? Were you able to see anything on screen? Did you set it as default in the BIOS?

Hope I was of some assistance...

So I can use the PC2100 in the system? Awesome, thanks.

The other video card fit in the slot, and I fiddled around in the BIOS, but when plugged in, nothing showed. The power light on the monitor was orange, but there was nothing on the screen.
in that case it either isn't functional or incompatible. Should be easy to find a replacement if onboard video isn't adequate
Your second problem is the RAM make sure its in te motherboard slot all the way push it in very tight do not crank the MOBO, it takes some pressure.