Squire Stratocaster
3 5%
Go try them out.
18 28%
Save up for a MIM Fender
37 57%
Voters: 65.
Hey Guys,

I'm originally an Acoustic player, and have played for two years or so. I have always loved Rock, and now its time I start showing it.

I am looking at Squire guitars, only because its my first Electric and can easily buy some Humbucking pickups if I decided too. With my style, which Guitar would be best for me?

My music inspiration is the god: Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Harrison, Walsh.

Which one fits the style of music I play, and along with the feel of the guitar itself.

Thanks,

LifeLines
Go play them. See what feels better.

From what I know, all of those artists you've listed have played a Tele at one point or another. I prefer the sound and feel, but I can't decide for you. See for yourself and then choose.
I'd go with a strat if those are your influences but look into the MIM standards from fender they're better quality than the squiers.
The best thing to do is go into your local music store and try some out because its hard for us to tell exactly what your looking for.
Strat for you playing style I think. But go try them out, see what you like.
Strats & Seagulls
make sure you are looking at the higher end Squiers, they aren't bad guitars but they get a bad rap because of the cheap ones that come in the box set.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
If your getting a Squier, save some more and get a Fender; Squiers are good beginner guitars, but there's just no comparison even with a low-end MIM Fender.

Anyway, really play both and see which you like; to different people one plays better than the other. With your influences though, I'd go for the strat.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If you've been playing for two years I'd seriously consider an MIM Fender over a Squire. As for Tele versus Strat, that's a discussion that has gone on for as long as the two models have been around, and the basic conclusion is you've got to try both and see what suits you.
i dont know teles have that nice twang for blues and classic rock but a strat has been used for almost everything from metal to country

but im talking about fenders so i dont know what the hell a squire sounds like

and besides why dont you go down to a store and try one yourself
I highly preffer Strats, but lots of people like Tele's too.

Go try some out, kid.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
dont bash squire the Classic vibe and vintage modified's (i didnt try all in the world) that i tried play better then some mims (not all)

EDIT: I prefer teles in just tone and feel.
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Most of you guys say to go into the store, so I will be going in today. Another question though. How much is a Mexico Fender, that all of you have been telling me to get?
Quote by Iceman 420
Go play them. See what feels better.

From what I know, all of those artists you've listed have played a Tele at one point or another. I prefer the sound and feel, but I can't decide for you. See for yourself and then choose.

Most of them have had Strats too *shrug*

I prefer Strats for their Versatility, Teles for their Twang.

It's really a matter of taste at this point.

I'd definitely reccomend a Fender MiM Classic 50's/60's/70's strat, or a Fender MiM Baja Telecaster, if you're going the MiM way. These kick a lot of the MiA stuffs ass.
Tele=Twang

Strats are way more versatile IMO. Squire is cheap and it feels that way, unless you find a good japanese version. Just save for a MIM, you'll be glad you did. It's much higher quality.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Tele=Twang

Strats are way more versatile IMO. Squire is cheap and it feels that way, unless you find a good japanese version. Just save for a MIM, you'll be glad you did. It's much higher quality.

MIMs are the cheapest-feeling, most overpriced guitars ever. Get a similarly priced Squier anyday.
Quote by LifeLines
Most of you guys say to go into the store, so I will be going in today. Another question though. How much is a Mexico Fender, that all of you have been telling me to get?

$450, or $475 if you opt for a burst finish.

Quote by Horlicks
Which plays better?
They both play awful.

Quote by Horlicks
MIMs are the cheapest-feeling, most overpriced guitars ever. Get a similarly priced Squier anyday.

Usually I respect and agree with you, but frankly, with all due respect, your an idiot. I've played MIM Standards, American Standards, Custom-shops, and even a few vintage Fenders over the past couple of months, while their not fit for something like, say, a tour like the type people like Satriani and folks like him go on. Their not good enough for an instrumental world tour. But frankly I can see myself using my own MIM for quite a while, especially if I get off my ass and replace the pickups.

Quote by necrosis1193

Usually I respect and agree with you, but frankly, with all due respect, your an idiot. I've played MIM Standards, American Standards, Custom-shops, and even a few vintage Fenders over the past couple of months, while their not fit for something like, say, a tour like the type people like Satriani and folks like him go on. Their not good enough for an instrumental world tour. But frankly I can see myself using my own MIM for quite a while, especially if I get off my ass and replace the pickups.

Try a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified with your guitar, and ignore the name on the headstock. I bet the Squier will be better, not to mention a little cheaper.
Quote by Horlicks
Try a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified with your guitar, and ignore the name on the headstock. I bet the Squier will be better, not to mention a little cheaper.

I actually did it before I bought the guitar from the guy(bought it used) because I read about how much praised the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series' are here, it may be because it's from 2002 and had different stuffs, but frankly my strat managed to rise to the occasion. The newer Standards with the tinted necks, while possibly comparable tonally, IMO, feel much better than the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series.

Quote by marantz1300
Strat plays better.Tele sounds better.Do this.

Holy crap I want that guitar.

Ok I went to play today, They had some MIM Fenders but were pretty high priced.

So I tried out the higher end Squiers. I find the Strat was awesome to play on, the feel was extremely nice. On the other hand the Tele they had, won the battle for the sound out of the two.

I asked to play a MIM Stratocaster, this one was around 800 CAD$. Out of this world. Finominal unfortunately too pricey for my first electric.

So I will go with a squire and install some better pickups later, Will I look like an idiot if I have Custom Shop Single Coil Pickups in a Highend Squire?

Thanks everyone for helping me out on these questions,

Lifelines
No.The JV Squiers of the early 80's used USA pickups.They were great guitars.So if you like the feel ,upgrade the tone.But if I was you and the MIM was that good .I'd hold out and save for it.
Wow, is the US dollar really worth two Canadian dollars despite the recession? Huh...wait, how much was the Squier?

$800 CDN for a Mexican Strat? Where was this? Thats way way over priced. A Standard Mexi Strat right now shouldn't cost you more then $500 CDN UNLESS you were playing the Classic Series like a 50's or 60's model, as those are roughly in that price range which would make sense.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
That does sound like a bit much. In the UK you can get an MIM standard for £300, which is $550 Canadian according to Expedia.

It might be your first electric, but it's not your first guitar, which is why I'd still recommend holding off for a while and saving up for the MIM. You can upgrade the hardware on a Squire sure, but the MIM is much more deserving of such things, given that its body and neck are of such a high quality.
save up for an MIM strat, they are miles above squiers
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Pac_man0123
The classic vibe and vintage modified series are very good. Go with one of those, seeing as the MIM was insanely expensive...

the vintage modifieds are 100 dollars less and i still think the MIMs are way better, the thing about squiers is their necks, and frets are completely different feeling and the MIM strats just feel better in every way.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
the vintage modifieds are 100 dollars less and i still think the MIMs are way better, the thing about squiers is their necks, and frets are completely different feeling and the MIM strats just feel better in every way.

$280 Squier VM/Classic compared to a $450 MIM? I don't say that's the same price.

EDIT: Damn you and your fast editing haha
Quote by Pac_man0123
$280 Squier VM/Classic compared to a $450 MIM? I don't say that's the same price.

EDIT: Damn you and your fast editing haha

MIms are still 400 i think. and you can get them used for 280. and they are MILES above squiers.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Just wanted to update you all on what I got. I decided to get a Squier Affinity "20th Anniversary Edition" Stratocaster with some Duncan pickups.

Almost near 500$ as much as a MIM, although I don't get the brand name "Fender" which we all love. I found this Strat WAY better then the MIM. In the future I would be happy having this to gig with.

Beautiful Pewter White finish, alhough more of a cream with a rosewood neck neck.

Also, being the retard I am, I bought Light gauge strings and tuned a few octaves higher by accident and broke my high E string, just incase you notice my missing string.

Lifelines,

RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier
Last edited by LifeLines at Jan 22, 2009,