i need help deciding what recording software i should get im new to this and i want to start wrting my own songs and recording them onto my laptop. can someone tell me all the basics. like do i need to hook up an amp and my laptop together or can i just play through the computer?and somthing that gives me a pure tone nothing to digital. Anyways just let me know what i need and whats the best i dont want somthing thats to expensive.

thx for your time.
If you don't want digital, you're going to want to buy a mic and a USB or Firewire interface and mic your amp. Otherwise, you could get something like a TonePort, its tones aren't necessarily non-digital, but they're not bad for the price you pay. Reaper is a very good, free recording software.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by heybabby1
i need help deciding what recording software i should get im new to this and i want to start wrting my own songs and recording them onto my laptop. can someone tell me all the basics. like do i need to hook up an amp and my laptop together or can i just play through the computer?and somthing that gives me a pure tone nothing to digital. Anyways just let me know what i need and whats the best i dont want somthing thats to expensive.

thx for your time.

You can use something like this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-Recording-Modeling-Interface-103373676-i1126366.gc

and record from your guitar through that. You will need a recording program ( I use Garageband on my Mac) to record the sound from the interface into.
Well, Audacity is pretty popular and FREE recording software. But, yea, just buy a mic and set it up in front of your amp.
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Reaper>>>>Audacity
and they're both free.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by heybabby1
hte problem is i have a crappy amp i have a line 6 15 watt so i didnt really want to mic up my amp
could i use this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX2-with-POD-Farm-105148571-i1427098.gc and audcity and record with that and not use my amp and haev a good finished product

Yes, most of the recordings in my profile are with the Line 6 UX2 and Gearbox (the older version of POD Farm). Will sound much better than your Spider imo. Don't use Audacity though, Reaper eats Audacity for breakfast and is free as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com