So in my quest to become a better rhythm guitarist, I have learned barre chords and open chords. Where they are and how to check the circle of fifths to see what ones work together.

However I know next to nothing about power chords. So please teach me about power chords. I can play them perfectly fine (Just got down "3's And 7's" perfectly) I just don't know the theory behind them.

So how do you know what power chords sound good together? Where do you find each power chord? What are they all called?

Thanks, for dealing with a complete idiot like myself.
power chords are named by the root note and 5
so

-
-
-
-
5 would be an A5 power chord. just experiment with what sounds good. you could use chromatissim or follow a scale with the chord root being the scale note
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Or to get a fuller sounding power chord play the root, the 5th and the octave:
Example:

D----9---11
A----9---11
E----7---9 etc.

Hope that helped you out.
power chords are the basis of many rock genres like punk, trash, metalcore, and most other metal genres.

To play with power chords, you take whatever scale or melody, and you add a fifth to it. If you dont know what a fifth is, its basically 7 semitones above the root note.
so its like for example
e-
B-
G-
D-
A-7
E-5

or
e-
B-6
G-3
D-
A-
E-
or
e-
B-
G-2
D-0
A-
E-

Take any simple melody and try playing it using power chords. Or learn punk songs which use power chords. Basically, power chords are used for backign rhythym to play a certain rhythym track because jsut single notes arent beefy enough. hoep that hlped
It's easy really. All have the same form, so once you nail one down, just move it along the fretboard. As for composing, simply take up one scale, and for every note put a powerchord.

As it's already been said, a powerchord consists of a root, perfect fifth and an octave above the root note.
Even though, in music theory, 5th chord and powerchords aren't one the same. 5th chord consists only of a root and a fifth, and powerchord has an octave aswell. Really a small difference in practical use, but just a tip.