I've been thinking about what I'm gonna do after high school, and there's nothing I want to do more than something with music. I'm not sure exactly what, but definitely music. Going to berklee would be great, but I'm sure there have to be other schools that are great for music. Also, What are things to focus on to be accepted to a school like this?

Oh yeah, I'm a sophomore and have been playing for about 2 to 3 years. Thanks in advance.
I've heard Berklee kinda sucks. First off it's in Boston, it's full of jazz-heads and is just a stuffy atmosphere in general. It is a top notch place though.

I'd recommend GIT or MI.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Well, I am in a similar position as you, but only going on my second year playing guitar. I am in senior year, and when I graduate, I will most likely take music courses from Berklee online. You should learn some theory, a lot of scales, and the ability to play extremely clean. Good luck.
Shawn George Noel
It's not just playing. I'm in music and only 2 of 5 courses for me actually depend upon my playing ability. There's still theory, skills (ear training, sight singing, insane rhythms) and history ... and those classes will murder you if you're not up to the challenge.
I'm doing all I can now to improve not just technique, but also my knowledge of theory and such, I'm quitting lacrosse so I can afford lessons.
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm really interested in Tisch School of Music of NYU. Although it's ridiculously hard to get into, studying musc there under Clive Davis would be spectacular
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by fastlanestoner
I've heard Berklee kinda sucks. First off it's in Boston, it's full of jazz-heads and is just a stuffy atmosphere in general. It is a top notch place though.

I'd recommend GIT or MI.

Sorry, with all due respect you are wrong about Berklee sucking. It's not full of jazz heads, in fact there are more rock players there now than jazz players. You're right about it being a top notch school. I graduated from Berklee and it was a great experience for me and I highly recommend the school but only if you have a plan to pay for it without going into huge amounts of debt. Boston is cold in the winter like all northeast schools, it's a beautiful city and the people are OK. There are tons of other colleges so there are many college bars and a lot of young people.

I posted on another thread about how to go to Berklee (or most any music school for that matter) on a budget. Check it out. I couldnt find the thread because its buried now but I'm sure you can find it if you tried enough.

Anyway, I am amazed at how much bad and wrong info is disseminated on message boards not just on this one.

People need to go there for themselves before they say things like " I heard that Berklee......"

Anyway, keep rockin and practicing because in the end whether you go to Berklee or GIT or The New School, you get out of it what you put into it and in the end you become a great musician by dedication, a lot of practicing and confidence in yourself.
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
Considering I'm a freshman majoring in "Music Performance" at UMass, I think I can be of some real help to you.

To be honest, I highly doubt you'll be able to get into Berklee. I don't mean to be mean but it's the truth. You have to be a virtuoso at your instrument to get into that college these days especially if you're applying with guitar because easily more than half of their students play guitar or bass.

I'll go over some of the things my college was looking for when I went to my audition. First things first, you "must" be able to read music atleast somewhat fluently. So for example, and I'm being serious. If they were to put "twinkle twinkle little star" infront of you, you should be able to instantly sight read that. Pretty basic in terms of sight reading. On my exam they gave me chords on a staff and asked me to figure out what the chords were. Really easy stuff. Make sure you know your augmented chords and diminished chords and sevenths as well. Not just how to play them but what the formula is in order to make them. They will put key signatures infront of you and ask you to identify those. Make sure you understand the key signatures it's vital to reading music. Understand some basic music notation lingo, like what "Coda" means or "Fine", "Pianissimo". Basic stuff.

Just make sure you have a good grasp on how to read music and obviously the playing part is important, have your songs down and know how to improvise. If I remember anything else I'll be sure to edit this post.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
"Berklee on a Budget", very nice

Thanks so far for the input.

I'm certainly not a virtuoso and its disheartening to hear i can't do something. But I love proving people wrong. I'm also not dedicated to a single school, I have plenty of options and am taking the time to do some research on schools that have caught my eye, or have been talked about with high regards.

Right now I'm pretty good with what the notes on the sheet music are and other symbols and whatnot, now its just working on getting more fluent at reading the music.

Again, thanks.
You do not need to be a virtuoso to get into Berklee at all. If that were the case than no one would attend because they would be beyond needing instruction. Anyway, the acceptance rate at Berklee is about 33%. This is a lot higher than many other schools. As a sophomore, you have plenty of time to prepare yourself. I recommend if you haven't already, getting a teacher who is an acclaimed musician or a music professor at a college. They will obviously be able to gear you towards being prepared for studying music in college, and it will look much better if you have studied with some one people are familiar with rather than joe down the street who only you know.
12 fret fury