I have to write a persuasive essay for english, and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. I have to respond to this prompt:

"The most important quality a person can have is a sense of humor." Do you agree or disagree? Explain your position in a way so that your reader will desire to adopt your position on this issue.

Well, what do you guys think?

It would be great if only intelligent answers were given.

p.s. heres my stance:

yes i agree because if a person can find humor in anything, even if it is aimed against him, it means he has the ability to look at things objectively and with logic, devoid of bias.

tl;dr
go away
Do NOT look behind you.

so there is no one intelligent in the pit?
Do NOT look behind you.
ha, i was just kidding.

but really, your argument seemes has a valid point...although i'm not sure how they exactly tie together. if you can do a better job of explaining what you mean by having a sense of humor and being unbiased by looking at different sides of an opinion, than it should be good.
yeah btw, try not to say you, or your or try to point out the reader or anyone your talking about. also make it a good not too vague but not too specific debatable question, it also has to answer the first initial question right away.
this is how the Canadian curriculum works so don't get mad at me if its different.
Well, it depends, does the person find themselves humorous? Because I know people with a terrible sense of humour but they think they are ****ing hillarious.

And also, laughing when people make fun of you could be your way of say I don't give a ****. Laughing about yourself is just a defence IMO. It has nothing to do with logic, many funny people are funny for the wrong reasons.
Quote by maggot9779
Well, it depends, does the person find themselves humorous? Because I know people with a terrible sense of humour but they think they are ****ing hillarious.

And also, laughing when people make fun of you could be your way of say I don't give a ****. Laughing about yourself is just a defence IMO. It has nothing to do with logic, many funny people are funny for the wrong reasons.

you provide an interesting argument.

keep them coming pit!!!!! i need this.
Do NOT look behind you.
It's all relative to the person, with having your sense of humour as your most important quality, doesn't that mean if something is intended in one way, they can see it as another? And the truth behind what someone said may not be interpreteted the correct way by the person who has that sense of humour.
say "no, I think having a low tolerance for marijuana is the most important quality in a person."
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by Nafon
It's all relative to the person, with having your sense of humour as your most important quality, doesn't that mean if something is intended in one way, they can see it as another? And the truth behind what someone said may not be interpreteted the correct way by the person who has that sense of humour.

Yup, it's a subjective thing, some people don't like clowns(not literally) and are too serious. Some people also laugh at anything and are difficult to be serious with.
Quote by maggot9779
Yup, it's a subjective thing, some people don't like clowns(not literally) and are too serious. Some people also laugh at anything and are difficult to be serious with.

Sh*t. i have to take a strong stance one way or another, and my argument has to be so solid and persuasive the reader will feel the same way I do.
Do NOT look behind you.
Quote by c_man471

Sh*t. i have to take a strong stance one way or another, and my argument has to be so solid and persuasive the reader will feel the same way I do.

hehe, the Pit isn't as stupid as you think you know, give us the opportunity and we'll poke a hole in ANY argument!
Quote by c_man471

Just say yes, then go on with Laughter is the best medicine and by making someone feel happy is the best thing you can ever do. How do you make someone laugh and smile besides a joke and a material object. Without humour, we'd all die young and miserable.
Quote by Nafon
Just say yes, then go on with Laughter is the best medicine and by making someone feel happy is the best thing you can ever do. How do you make someone laugh and smile besides a joke and a material object. Without humour, we'd all die young and miserable.

may i have your permission to plagiarize those words?
Do NOT look behind you.
Quote by c_man471
may i have your permission to plagiarize those words?

Yes
Quote by Nafon

Again, happiness is subjective. Let's say you made friend A happy with a joke and some flowers. Friend B would be jealous and get angry. And If you said a joke and gave flowers to both of them they would also be jealous. Sure, you'd be happy, but they wouldn't.

I agree though, we NEED humour. The world would be a boring place without it.
Quote by Nafon
Yes

shweeeeeet.

i owe you blowjobs.*
*disclaimer: they might not come from me.
Do NOT look behind you.
The hell do you need help with? You've got the prompt and you've got your response.... Words on the page, man!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by maggot9779
Again, happiness is subjective. Let's say you made friend A happy with a joke and some flowers. Friend B would be jealous and get angry. And If you said a joke and gave flowers to both of them they would also be jealous. Sure, you'd be happy, but they wouldn't.

I agree though, we NEED humour. The world would be a boring place without it.

aaaaaggghhH!!!!! subjectiveness!!!!!!

ahh well. i have some arguments:

1. objectivism 2. happiness (kinda)

thats enough for a 5 paragraph essay!!??

am i right?

any other ideas?
Do NOT look behind you.
Quote by c_man471

am i right?

any other ideas?

Sure drag it out
Quote by c_man471

am i right?

any other ideas?

5 Paragraph Essay... I reckon I could drag this crap on for 2000 words.
Quote by Nafon
5 Paragraph Essay... I reckon I could drag this crap on for 2000 words.

wanna do it for me?
Do NOT look behind you.
It's school holidays, i'm too lazy. If you need to expand on a particular part.. Tell me.
Quote by Nafon
It's school holidays, i'm too lazy. If you need to expand on a particular part.. Tell me.

thanks, i'll ask if i need help.

man i really have to get working.
its an online class and its due at midnight today (two hours from now where I live)
Do NOT look behind you.
I think being a humane person is the most important quality or else no one would like you...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by Nafon

Not to mention laughter is a great stress-reliever.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by kylepianoman
I think being a humane person is the most important quality or else no one would like you...

and hookers. you can't forget aboot the hookers.
Quote by c_man471
I have to write a persuasive essay for english, and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. I have to respond to this prompt:

"The most important quality a person can have is a sense of humor." Do you agree or disagree? Explain your position in a way so that your reader will desire to adopt your position on this issue.

Well, what do you guys think?

It would be great if only intelligent answers were given.

p.s. heres my stance:

yes i agree because if a person can find humor in anything, even if it is aimed against him, it means he has the ability to look at things objectively and with logic, devoid of bias.

tl;dr
go away

One point, you have to keep your perspective, like if you say he you have to keep the subject about he. What you did is go from vague word person to describing a man.

"Humor is one of the best qualities a person can have, because if faced with stress and/or difficult problems the person can turn the problem into something more lighthearted and not cause themself to become stressed out making the problem worse."
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Last edited by The Master Plan at Jan 16, 2009,
Ill outline it for you...my favorite class was english last term in college

Intro-Thesis short quip (half story- finish it off in the conclusion)

P1-Humor in a relationship

P2-Humor in the work world

P3- Humor in a tight situation

Conc- restate thesis (finish story and have some sort of message in it)
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Why does it mean that? If someone looks at everything with humor it means they're trying to distract themselves from serious business because they're afraid of it.

Looking at everything with humor is a bias... because you'd look for humor in something and if you couldn't find it, it would get disregarded.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,