curly maple and paduak
neck-through
Gotoh floyd rose
Seymour duncan whatever pickups

Ridiculous paduak/maple laminated neck
curly maple wing-cores, figured paduak top

twenty seven fret angled fretboard
all gold hardware
gold MOP inlays (havent decided on what yet, i like a fall/autumn theme so i might check into some falling leaves)

I like the idea of a telecaster thin-line, so maybe semi holllow, but only enough for the F-hole so i can still have some carving going on
Inlaid Harper Custom logo in gold MOP
gold fretwire just to be over-the-top
12'' radius, 1 11/16'' nut

literally no neck joint, i dont want my hand to touch anything even on the 27th fret haha

Plus ive got a new original headstock design i am itching to try out, i drew it out and it looks pretty cool, sort of reminds me of the old peavey guitars.

i am basiically doing this guitar as a personal challenge of sorts, im setting my goals really high for it. this wont start for another week or so until i finish this other badboy.
Sounds great. Can't wait to see it started.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Works now.

It's a link to Jizz in My Pants by Incredibad.

Anyways, amazing plans dude....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Sent you a PM LP.
Quote by Invader Jim

sounds cool man, is it going to be a tele shape?
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Angled fretboard?

Would this perhaps have.... more than one scale?

One might describe the amount of scales as... multiple?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Ah I see.

Man, multiscales are for chumps?

From what I've read they are the shizznit...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Ah I see.

They sound really good in theory, I just think it would feel odd playing on a whole multiscaled neck. Would have to try one to be sure though.
Quote by Invader Jim

Holy crap LP, if you pull this off, thou shall be pronounced God of the GB&C
This.
Sounds.
EPIC!

Good luck on the build!
I'll definately be lurking
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Øttər
Ah I see.

Wait... I don't see. Explain the angled fretboard more please?

Ormsby has patented the multiscale design, so obviously he doesn't think its for chumps or n3wbs...

Can't wait to see this one done...
Can you maybe have a carve as deep as a Les Paul but have the f hole in that carve? If you know what i meen... The f hole halfway up the carve...
http://www.guitarshop.net/GuitarImages_i/rand000.jpg

like that, no multi-scale BS, just an angled fretboard. not frets. I dont think ormsby owns the patent on that, i remember him saying someone else did.
Quote by LP Addict
http://www.guitarshop.net/GuitarImages_i/rand000.jpg

like that, no multi-scale BS, just an angled fretboard. not frets. I dont think ormsby owns the patent on that, i remember him saying someone else did.

yeah i think what ormsby owns is the trademark name "multi-scale" or "multiscale". i wouldnt say the idea of multiscale is BS either, apparently a lot of people who have tried ormsbys multiscales were seriously impressed and really liked them.
Please don't leave that ****ty triangle left over piece on the end of the fret board. Other than that...

*subscribed*

I can't wait to see this beauty.
its not BS, its cool, and a marvel of expertise in the craftsmanship, but like most have said, its one of those things that is cool to see, and play once. after that its just "yeah that was cool".
oh i see with the FB

Yeah maybe Perry's trademarked the name, i know hes done something with it
i think he got in trouble for saying multi-scale without the TM or whatever actually, because he mentioned someone else owned it, so we all jokingly came up with new names he could use "poly-scalular model" or some stupid crap hah.
Quote by LP Addict
i think he got in trouble for saying multi-scale without the TM or whatever actually, because he mentioned someone else owned it, so we all jokingly came up with new names he could use "poly-scalular model" or some stupid crap hah.

not quite

Quote by ormsby guitars
Ralph Novak owns the patent on FANNED FRETS, which also covered pretty much anything with angled frets. He went to the trouble of getting these style guitars into the mainstream, despite it being 'prior art' 400 years ago. If it wasn't for Ralph Novak, no one would be building fanned fret, or multiscale guitars.

Ralphs patent ran out last year. He no longer charges for licensing. If someone thought that a once off $150 fee for the rights to use an idea they wouldnt have developed themselves, is too expensive, then, well, I guess thats just too bad.

(for the record, i use a different, more accurate way of laying out the frets, than Ralph's system)

I own the trademark on MULTISCALE MULTI-SCALE and MULTI SCALE (or any other way you want to describe/spell it). This is a BRAND NAME and not a patent. Like COCA COLA is a brand name, but doesn't cover the secret formula for making it, or KFC is the brand name, but doesn't cover the eleven secret spices. I cant stop someone from building fanned frets, or guitars that look like they have Multiscale fretboards, but i can stop people using the NAME. Im so sick of my ideas being copied out there Ive decided to take action to protect MY BUSINESS.

I guess its the same if cord's business name Rock Monkey was used by someone else. Im sure he would be pissed off, and want something done about it after all the hard work he has put in building up that brand. And he deserves that right, but he doesn't have that right without a trademark (registered business or trading names are lower on the pecking order than trademarks).

Im not worried about someone who is making a one off, and using the name to describe it. But my lawyers will be all over someone who sells a guitar, guitar parts, or even guitar merchandise, and refers to the name Multiscale without prior permission.

I don't even get a say, i just get a letter at the end of each month, with a list of people they have taken action against (and if someone has been taken to court, i get a cheque!). Of course, it is then up to that person if they choose to keep using it and face the full force of the court system, stop using it, or agree to the FREE licensing plan. I think that FREE LICENSING is a pretty damn generous offer really, but I'm sure some one is going to want to stand all high and mighty and doesn't realise how much it will cost him when he gets dragged through court... defense lawyers for trademarks tend to be a lot more expensive than your average lawyer, and when they lose the case, they are forced to pay for the winning legal team costs too (plus a sum for 'trademark dilution'). I doubt too many lawyers will take on a defense case against trademark infringement though... its pretty much a no win situation. Of course, some lawyers don't care if they don't have a chance to win, they get paid anyway, right?

There is a heap of stuff on wiki if you want to learn more about trademarks, its pretty interesting stuff.

from this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16337454#post16337454
Quote by LP Addict
yeah it was something like that, ormsby doesnt even come around anymore, i miss his elitist builds.

elitist? considering how good his builds are i'd say he was pretty down to earth IMO. He makes guitars for a living, the only reason he posted them here was for our enjoyment and inspiration, he wasn't fishing for complements.
not just for enjoyment and inspiration, but teasing, he always tells us how perfect its going to be then we all have to wait for the awesomeness to arrive on UG
Quote by guitarcam123
not just for enjoyment and inspiration, but teasing, he always tells us how perfect its going to be then we all have to wait for the awesomeness to arrive on UG

lol, he always used to post all the photos of the guitar from start to finish at once like when the Camo SS and those older builds went up. I preferred that to the teasing
Before this thread get's hijacked...

This sound's like a very good build, be carefull not to make it look OTT though, an OTT guitar can look pretty bad imo. But i've seen your previous build's so no doubt this thing will look extremley good.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
well, you've obviously never had a personal conversation with him, or asked for some sort of help dealing with woodworking from him...

i will admit that the last time i asked his opinion on something he gave it, but the first 5 times or so i asked he was very.... i dont know, not nice about it. he sees every little home-builder as competition i guess, which is a good way to run a business, but not a good way to earn a reputation.
You know whats kind of ironic? Ormsby inpired me to build my own guitars, rather buying custom ones from someone like... oh, say, himself. Lol.

And, yeah LP you'll basically run show at the GB&C if you can make this guitar.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
holy donkey ass(or holy ass's ass) 27 frets that is ridonkulous
Oh Hey look at my signature
27 frets eh?

i cant wait till someone figures out a 3 octave neck. (36 fret)

i have an idea for how it could work, but i doubt i could get strings for it.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
i think i jizzed in my pants. I can't wait for the build pronz.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
When you say 27 frets, do you mean something like this?
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/caligula.htm
Maybe not the body shape and carving, but a similar fretboard, right?

EDIT: That picture you posted is an Ed Roman. Super-nice guitars, but that whole fretboard shape looks more "metal" that Tele Thinline IMO. But its up to you about the body shape really.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by conor1148
27 frets eh?

i cant wait till someone figures out a 3 octave neck. (36 fret)

i have an idea for how it could work, but i doubt i could get strings for it.

with a standard scale guitar that wouldn't make sense, by the time you get past 25 or so frets you're just sliding, not so much actually fretting the strings. the 36th fret would only be twice the fret's width from the 35th fret... not to mention your fretboard would extend abouth as far as the red line on this picture:

27 frets is about as much that could possibly make any sense, and even then, i only agree with it in the way that LP is applying the idea, and that is nobody would ever need 27 frets except on the treble strings.
Quote by rednwhiteblues
with a standard scale guitar that wouldn't make sense, by the time you get past 25 or so frets you're just sliding, not so much actually fretting the strings. the 36th fret would only be twice the fret's width from the 35th fret... not to mention your fretboard would extend abouth as far as the red line on this picture:

27 frets is about as much that could possibly make any sense, and even then, i only agree with it in the way that LP is applying the idea, and that is nobody would ever need 27 frets except on the treble strings.

its just an idea, but if i was going to do it id do it with a larger scale.

being i have strangely long arms this would pose no problem for me. even if i did it it would be more of a "hey look what i did! *school girl giggle*" sorta thing, not really much for playing

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Page 1 of 2