Page 1 of 2
i cant decide between a mesa boogie triple rectifier amp head or a marshall jcm2000 dsl 100 amp head. my playing style is heavier, but i do like to play clean riffs. i need help.
mesaaaa
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
If you've got the money, go with the Marshall JVM series. They're new, but they kick ass. One of my friends bought one with his X-mas money (lucky bastard!) and I've played all kind of music on it. The head sounds amazing.
Mr friend uses a 200w(?) Marshall 2x12 cabinet btw.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Mesa, but get a Dual Rec because you probably don't need 150 watts. Once you get that high you gotta be playing large venues or else you're not using it to its full potential.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Mesa, unless you're looking for a heavier version of Jimi's sound ... then I can see where a Marshall can come in handy.
Mesa, but as above, YOU DON'T NEED a hundred and fifty watts, for any application, ever. The Dual Rec is tonally identical. Also check out the Mark IV (for versatility) and Stiletto (because it's basically a better Marshall).
I would say Mesa...but what about Krank?
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
You may want to even get a Single Rec, I noticed in your profile you play a Spider so I'm assuming you don't play big gigs and 50 watts should definitely be enough and it's a bit cheaper. Like danno said, you may want to check out the Stilleto because it's like a Marshall mixed witha Rectifier series amp. Check out the ACE model.

Quote by Danno13
^Ugh. Krank are awful amps, made by awful people. Stay away.

Typical response I've hear when suggesting this:
But Dimebag and Dethklok use them! How can they be bad? Why would Dimebag design a bad amp?
lol
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 15, 2009,
I'd go with a Mesa, but not a Triple Rec. Look at the Mark series.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Last edited by thsrayas at Jan 15, 2009,
The tone is just bad. I don't care what Dime had to do with them, and besides he never played them (always used his Randalls), they have awful, wet, flabby tone. Furthermore, their marketing department is thoroughly corrupt, posting glowing reviews on harmony-central and pretending they were satisfied customers when, as we later found out, they weren't.
Also, if Kranks were good, how would explain the steadily shrinking artists list everytime they ran a new ad on the back of GuitarWorld last year?
If you're into the whole modern metal thing with really clean cleans and really heavy, gainy, buzzy distortion, go with the Mesa. It does that kind of sound a lot better than Marshall, which really excels more at that "in between" tone and has a completely different high gain voicing.

That being said, Kranks sound like **** and they have questionable marketing practices.
Quote by Danno13
The tone is just bad. I don't care what Dime had to do with them, and besides he never played them (always used his Randalls), they have awful, wet, flabby tone. Furthermore, their marketing department is thoroughly corrupt, posting glowing reviews on harmony-central and pretending they were satisfied customers when, as we later found out, they weren't.
Also, if Kranks were good, how would explain the steadily shrinking artists list everytime they ran a new ad on the back of GuitarWorld last year?

Haha, I can't stand the tone of those things. I still don't understand why people buy them except for the dumbasses who see the Dimebag name on it or that Dethklok endorses them. Also , I don't see why someone would want Dime's tone, it was really shrill.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Marshall JVM
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
mesa but not recto series. those amps sound like ****ing ****.

check out mesa stiletto deuce
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by thsrayas
I'd go with a Mesa, but not a Triple Rec. Look at the Mark series.

^^^ THIS is CORRECT
If you're paying that much for an overrated amp, then just get a Randall RM100 with a Blackface, SL+, and Grail (or Recto, or even Treadplate) modules to get the best of all worlds in the same amp, and sound better because of it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
If you're paying that much for an overrated amp, then just get a Randall RM100 with a Blackface, SL+, and Grail (or Recto, or even Treadplate) modules to get the best of all worlds in the same amp, and sound better because of it.

Better still... Get the REAL Deal and get the Egnater MOD amp, or a Mesa/Boogie MK V
Quote by zachman5150
Better still... Get the REAL Deal and get the Egnater MOD amp, or a Mesa/Boogie MK V

Yea, the real thing isn't that much more. I think it might be a 2-3 hundred more for the real Egnater. I don't see much of a reason to go with the Randall.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, the real thing isn't that much more. I think it might be a 2-3 hundred more for the real Egnater. I don't see much of a reason to go with the Randall.

Bruce Egnater is the man who designed the Randall stuff, and his own line has the MOJO, over the Randall stuff, plus you can use the Randall modules in the Egnater stuff too.
Quote by ibanezshred503
go for the triple rectifier if you can afford it, The extra 50 dosent hurt

it'll just make you look like more of a dumbass by paying so much for such a horrible sounding amp
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by synslash123
i cant decide between a mesa boogie triple rectifier amp head or a marshall jcm2000 dsl 100 amp head. my playing style is heavier, but i do like to play clean riffs. i need help.

I have both. I'm selling the DSL100 because the triple does everything the DSL does better, even low gain strat tones.

Quote by zachman5150
^^^ THIS is CORRECT

Unless you happen to not like the mark voicing at all.
Quote by zachman5150
Bruce Egnater is the man who designed the Randall stuff, and his own line has the MOJO, over the Randall stuff, plus you can use the Randall modules in the Egnater stuff too.

That's very true Anyone for an Egnater M4 with a Randall RT2/50 power amp?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Dime used the Krank stuff for his Damageplan tone mostly...to my knowledge nayways. ANd it sounded great. ****ty business practices aside, those Krank amps sounds killer. Try em before you knock em.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
^ Dime used Warheads for his Damageplan stuff, and didn't get an album recorded with the Kranks before he was killed.

Stupid name.

Quote by Say Ocean
Kranks are alright, but Dime's tone generally blew always.

I liked his Damageplan tone...

In either case, if you can try it, do. It won't hurt to try an amp that you may fall in love with, because good tone is subjective.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Quote by Shinozoku
That's very true Anyone for an Egnater M4 with a Randall RT2/50 power amp?

LOVE the M4, prefer it w/ a VHT 2150 power amp though.
Mesa Boogie Roadking.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
What's with this belief that the triple rectifier has only 1 feature over the single/dual... higher wattage?

Forgetting the third channel it seems guys. Plus. A "mid-sized" venue has taken triple rectifiers by my personal experience. It doesn't require a: "Un-mic'd stadium" in order to utilize a tube amplifier over 60w. Remember... ~10x the wattage to get double the volume.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by captainoid
Your best bet is with the Mesa Dual Rec.

get a mesa mark iv. mesa dual rec sounds so sterile and dreadful. or at least look into the stilleto
I have recently got in to looking at Mesa amps and I'm now so over Marshall it's unreal.
I want a LoneStar baaaaaad!
Page 1 of 2