The spring tension isn't correct for the tuning and string gauge you're using.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Danno13
Strats don't have Floyds, be more specific, champ.

He could have modded it/had it modded/bought it used modded.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Actually the made a limited run MIM I believe that had floyd but its discontinued if you are talking about a standard strat it probably has a vintage trem which tend to go out of tune frequetly buy some locking tuners is my suggestion.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
^That's entirely possible, but if he gives us more details, we can offer better help.
i had it installed. yeah ever since i tuned it to down to open D it wont stay in tune LOL man that was a bad idea. how can i fix it?
Did you tighten the locking nut? Did you even get the locking nut put on because the fretboard has to be routed to put the locking nut in. Give us pictures of your floyd and headstock/start of neck.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Well that changes things you messed it up by changing tunings and not adjusting the springs to compesate for the change in pressure, this would cause the problem. The reason its not staying in tune is most likely that it is not level and parallel with the body. To fix this open up the back and SLOWLY apply or take off spring tension about a quarter to half turn on the screws at a time, retune and repeat until it sits level.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Well that changes things you messed it up by changing tunings and not adjusting the springs to compesate for the change in pressure, this would cause the problem. The reason its not staying in tune is most likely that it is not level and parallel with the body. To fix this open up the back and SLOWLY apply or take off spring tension about a quarter to half turn on the screws at a time, retune and repeat until it sits level.

First piece of good, useful advice in this thread.

And you can buy Strats with Floyds you ignoramuses, it's called the Floyd Rose Fat Strat. Do some research first. =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Read the FR setup sticky
Last edited by macjac at Jan 15, 2009,
If you have a floyd, every time a string changes tension, the rest will react accordingly. Which is why changing strings on a floyd is easy, but tuning the ****er is mind wrecking. Open the locking nut, screw your fine tuners a little sharp. Use your tuners to get it as close to standard as possible. Remember about the string tension though, your gonna have to fool with it. Then lock the nut, since you set your fine tuners sharp, the nut shouldn't mess things up
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by Shinozoku
First piece of good, useful advice in this thread.

And you can buy Strats with Floyds you ignoramuses, it's called the Floyd Rose Fat Strat. Do some research first. =/

yeah i agree i didn't want to say it but everyone one else was no help lol. o yeah and the kid that told me to sell my guitar plays ibanez so look whos talking.
Quote by SHRED.
yeah i agree i didn't want to say it but everyone one else was no help lol. o yeah and the kid that told me to sell my guitar plays ibanez so look whos talking.

Thank you I try to be helpful but yeah thats what you need to do its time consuming but can be done fairly easily.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
how do i know whether to tighten the screws or loosen them? the bridge is floating and it looks parallel to the body.
If it's parallel to the body then you're good. If it's sunk into the body, loosen the screws. If it's raised higher, tighten the screws.
Quote by SHRED.
how do i know whether to tighten the screws or loosen them? the bridge is floating and it looks parallel to the body.

Basically the whole unit should be level like I said pick the guitar up and look at the system from the side the line should be level with no backward or frontward angle to it.

When it leans forward you need more spring tension if it leans back you need less spring tension. Like I said GO SLOWLY cause usually you dont need alot of torqueing on the screws to get it perfect again. Its just a very delicate balance between string and spring tension thats how the floyd works really. Any change to that will render it off balance.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
use your head man. think, it's all just string tension. if the fine tuner side is down in the guitar loosen the tension, if it's sticking up out, add more tension. if it's level with the guitar, and in standard tuning, you got it perfect as you probably already know.

and don't feel like you have to treat it like a vagina, it's made out of hardened steel, as long as you don't strip the bolts/screws, your strait. the other guy kinda made it seem like brain surgery, it's definitely not, so don't be intimidated.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Last edited by BrokenBricks at Jan 16, 2009,
yeah that is common sense. so i would make this same adjustment if i ever wanted to use a thicker gauge of strings too.
Quote by SHRED.
yeah that is common sense. so i would make this same adjustment if i ever wanted to use a thicker gauge of strings too.

Right you would want to increase your spring tension otherwise the system is gonna nose dive, possibly adjust the truss rod a bit as well cause thicker strings can put more tension on the neck.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Exactly, you got it man. If you change gauges, you might run into a tiny bit of intonation trouble, but it's easy fixing that too. Easier than a tune-o-matic, in my opinion at least.

EDIT: IGNORE THAT GUY!!!! NEVER mess with your truss-rod unless you really know what your doing. And unless you're switching from .09's to .13's, or something ridiculous like that, there is no reason why you need to change the bow of your neck.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Last edited by BrokenBricks at Jan 16, 2009,
Love how I gave the correct answer first, yet everyone ignored it and gave someone else the credit.

YOU ALL SUCK - EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by BrokenBricks
Exactly, you got it man. If you change gauges, you might run into a tiny bit of intonation trouble, but it's easy fixing that too. Easier than a tune-o-matic, in my opinion at least.

EDIT: IGNORE THAT GUY!!!! NEVER mess with your truss-rod unless you really know what your doing. And unless you're switching from .09's to .13's, or something ridiculous like that, there is no reason why you need to change the bow of your neck.

Thats what I meant if you go a ways thicker thats gonna need to be done, I didnt recommend him to do it himself. I would always let someone with experince do it for me.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Thats what I meant if you go a ways thicker thats gonna need to be done, I didnt recommend him to do it himself. I would always let someone with experince do it for me.

I know man, I didn't mean to step on your toes. It's just, you know how kids are. OHH HEY IM A LUTHER, IMA **** WITH MY TRUSS ROD. boom, broken neck, haha. I personally know someone that committed that idiocy, so I give everyone fair warning.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
I know man, I didn't mean to step on your toes. It's just, you know how kids are. OHH HEY IM A LUTHER, IMA **** WITH MY TRUSS ROD. boom, broken neck, haha. I personally know someone that committed that idiocy, so I give everyone fair warning.

Ha ha no its cool man I should have added that to my post
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
**** I Just Snapped My Neck Cuz I Was Messin With The Truss Rod Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck How Can I Fix It?