Hi.Ok so...I really want to learn to play fast im talking like eternal rest synyster gates or afterlife synyster,Ttfatf-Herman li fast...Now i know these are very high goals but atleast im shooting for the stars.Now I have no idea how to improve my speed.I can alternate pick...Not extremly great but i guess I have it down.So where do I go? I mean...I dont know how to use a metronome or what to do...If someone could please help with techniques or just anything to help me play fast and accurate i would really apperciate it.
Click.....click......click.......click......click.....

Hint.....hint......hint

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

First of all, you might want to watch some better examples, (Herman Li is sloppy, and Synster is sloppy as well) like Paul Gilbert or Buckethead or Steve Vai.

Second, I suggest you learn how to use a metronome, it will be your best friend for learning speed and technique.

Anyway, you should start slow, learn scales and play them in time with a metronome. Build speed, and play faster if when you can play cleanly and easily.

When you build enough speed, learn arpeggios and learn sweeping. Again, practice with a metronome, and start slowly and build speed.

It's more important to play cleanly and slowly rather than fast and sloppy when you're practicing, and to know what the notes are in the scales and arpeggios, not just the fingering for that note.

Learn your theory and practice with a metronome.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Yeah as my teacher told me the metronome is the basis of shred guitar, you just start slow and keep building up speed until you can shred.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
you must learn to play slow before you go all Dragonforce on the world. take your time it will come. it took me awhile to be as fast as i am now. but accuracy is keyto playing fast. no accuracy makes playing fast useless.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by blasian
Herman li fast

Pfft. Herman Li isn't fast. Shawn Lane is fast. listen to the end of Gray Pianos Flying and tell me Herman Li is fast. But these guys gave some good advice, every shredder starts slow with the metronome, except Yngwie, but he's a cheater so he's got an unfair advantage.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ok...Ummm are metronomes hard to use and also how long will it take if i practice atleast and hour a day with a metronome howlong will it take for me to see good progress? Thanks
An hour a day isn't a lot of practice, and you've got to be a technotard not to be able to use a metronome.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by blasian
Ok...Ummm are metronomes hard to use and also how long will it take if i practice atleast and hour a day with a metronome howlong will it take for me to see good progress? Thanks

Progress on anything is unique to each person some people progress quickly while others take a little longer. Metronomes arent that hard to use you just set it to the beat you want and play over it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Fast music doesn't mean good music.

In fact, most fast music is technical garble that gives you a headache listening to it.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

In fact, most fast music is technical garble that gives you a headache listening to it.

Agreed but Racer X is awesome and its pretty technical but bands like Dragonforce do give me a headache with their playing at 100 mph all the time
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Ok...And personally I like fast music so...Juice box-Suck it.And ok ill pick up a metronome tomorrow...And say i was the sloest learner possible how long will it take...guesstimate please? Sorry progress gives me motivation...
Quote by blasian
Ok...And personally I like fast music so...Juice box-Suck it.And ok ill pick up a metronome tomorrow...And say i was the sloest learner possible how long will it take...guesstimate please? Sorry progress gives me motivation...

Well I honestly cant say how long it will take maybe a year or two idk, you will see progress if you practice my playing has gotten so much better since I started lessons and started practicing regularly.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by blasian

If all you want to do is play fast. Then GTFO!

Seriously...

It takes time. Eddie Van Halen couldn't do two handed tapping overnight. It took him years. Some people, it comes naturally, others, it doesn't. Focus all on speed, and none on technique, you can do Dick Dale Misirlou style in a couple months. Then, practice sweeping non-stop. You won't be a very good guitarist, but you can play fast. I'd recommend a stylus pick to help you practice playing faster...

http://www.styluspick.com/
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

Absolutely true. Its fun to play fast but listening to some over indulgent songs gets annoying after about 40 seconds (Get Out Of My Yard comes to mind) although impressive as hell, only guitarists can really like it. That being said, I still like shred (and Gilbert)
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

Seriously...

It takes time. Eddie Van Halen couldn't do two handed tapping overnight. It took him years. Some people, it comes naturally, others, it doesn't. Focus all on speed, and none on technique, you can do Dick Dale Misirlou style in a couple months. Then, practice sweeping non-stop. You won't be a very good guitarist, but you can play fast. I'd recommend a stylus pick to help you practice playing faster...

lol - the $9 pick that transforms you instantly to a shredder.
Quote by blasian

Its cool that you're eager to get in there and start shredding. But asking how long will it take and trying to figure out an ETA for you speed to be where you want it is what kills alot of people who learn any instrument. People like that get frustrated and never play again. Take it day by day. Practice more than one hour a day. Like when your just sitting watching T.V, practice downstroking and upstroking, etc.

In time you will get there. Be patient and stay focused.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

Seriously...

No, no, no and no.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

Seriously...

lol, gotta agree with above poster, technique is everything, metronome and slowly build up speed

just trying to play fast means there will be no rhythm to your notes
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
just practice, and while practicing after some time you will realise how boring shredding actually is.
Quote by blasian

Several years is how long it takes to get "really fast".

Just concentrate on playing accurately and in time...speed can't be forced, it just develops as you improve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok great.Alright all you guys have been alot of help and i really apperciate your time : ) Well looks like i better go practive some more hehe.Bye thanks.
Quote by blasian
Ok great.Alright all you guys have been alot of help and i really apperciate your time : ) Well looks like i better go practive some more hehe.Bye thanks.

Your welcome
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
As good as Herman Li and Synster Gates may be, listen to others, like Alexi Laiho, Muhammad Suicmez, all the greats, and learn to play their solos extra slow.
Like really slow.
Like reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly slow.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
Quote by jamesdtsx

You said it.

I've been more or less quoting that thread on every question about increasing speed or accuracy, but it seems noone else believes me. I'm glad you feel the same, and I'm glad you've found the thread to back it up!