I'm a huge guitar fan and have been for years, but have never been able to play guitar. (I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero, but I don't think that counts ). I've started and stopped more times than I can imagine. I'm a fine musician. I'm a piano/keyboard player (solo, bands, recording, etc) and have been playing music for 30+ years. But I could never get my arms around guitar.

So just tonight I had a thought. . . maybe I'm a lefty (I do lots of other stuff left-handed).

Before I restring my guitars and try yet again--is that possible? Could that be what's been holding me back. I'll give it a shot regardless, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever been down this road.

Thanks, and cool forum.
Could be try it and find out
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
hmmm...if ya write wit ya left hand, then you might be left handed
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I write with my left hand, but I play right handed I see it as my left hand has a lot more dexterity in it which is perfect for fretting, and my right arm has always been my strong arm that I throw footballs or baseballs with, which is good for strumming in some cases... but i started out try to play left handed, but some guy said if you can play "right" mine as well seeing as the selection is much greater...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
If you can play right handed go for it, If you wanna play lefty that works too, you shouldnt limit your playing just to have a better selection of guitars though
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I do everything left handed. I play right handed. Same thing with all my left handed guitarist friends. You're left hand has more coordination, so it only makes sense you'd use that hand with the fretboard, as you are more coordinated.
^ No, it does not make sense. It makes sense to play the guitar the way your body and mind recognizes it as being comfortable and natural. I'm a lefty in everything, including guitar. For whatever reason my right hand is more coordinated at fretting than my left. It all boils down to brain hemisphere dominance. Whichever half of the brain is more dominant than the other is going to be the deciding factor here. Not everyone can do the same things that the next person can do. I can't throw a ball worth a lick with my right hand, but I can catch one with it. Another poster above said he writes left handed, but throws with his right. See what I mean?
To the TS, it's not all that easy to just swap the strings around on a righty guitar to make into a lefty. The intonation will be way off for one, and the slots in the nut will be backwards. If it's a nylon string classical, then you've got the best chance of making the swap around with minimal changes to the guitar. If it's a steel string acoustic with a compensated saddle, then it's going to sound like arse unless you switch the saddle the other way. Some electrics can be changed pretty easily by just changing the nut for a lefty one, since the bridges are fully adjustable for height/intonation. Playability at the high frets will be different on a lot of them since the cutouts are in different locations.
Just some food for thought for you before you decide to change the strings over.
Try it out lefty for a week or so and see how it goes. However, you can learn to play which ever way you choose, but one way will definitely be easier and more comfortable.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I do everything left handed but play right. I would try it if you think it would work for you.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Well, would be worth to try a left-handed guitar. Go to a music shop and give it a go.
I am left handed in everything except guitar.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
I do everything left handed. I play right handed. Same thing with all my left handed guitarist friends. You're left hand has more coordination, so it only makes sense you'd use that hand with the fretboard, as you are more coordinated.

No it doesn't. I'm left-handed and play left-handed because I feel more comfortable playing that way. Besides, if your dominant hand was better with the fretboard, why don't most right-handed guitarists play left-handed?
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by maninthebox24
No it doesn't. I'm left-handed and play left-handed because I feel more comfortable playing that way. Besides, if your dominant hand was better with the fretboard, why don't most right-handed guitarists play left-handed?

Thats what I wonder.

I'm left-handed and I play right.

It always feels awkward when you first start - guitar playing is a learned habit, sort of like riding a bicycle. Once you learn to play it left or right handed, you will always have the habit to play it that way. It's VERY hard to learn to play left handed once you've learned right handed, and vice versa.

I'm left handed, but i do everything differently, i throw with my left, hit with my right, catch with my right, violin left, pool left...guitar right.

I tried for a laugh to see if i could play left handed guitar (my uncle is lefty, so i borrowed his axe) and i couldn't do it at all. I couldn't even get my hand to come around properly so i could put my thumb on the back of the neck.
I don't get why some of you people are saying "even though were left handed but we play right handed because the left hand is our fretting hand and is more co-ordinated" sorry to say but playing guitar doesn't only involve playing with one hand, the trick is co-ordinating both of your hands at the same time.... thats the catch yeah its true
If only we had to co-ordinate one hand ahahaaa
I playing right handed but Im left handed as well by the way....
Quote by Maton+SG
I don't get why some of you people are saying "even though were left handed but we play right handed because the left hand is our fretting hand and is more co-ordinated" sorry to say but playing guitar doesn't only involve playing with one hand, the trick is co-ordinating both of your hands at the same time.... thats the catch yeah its true
If only we had to co-ordinate one hand ahahaaa

I think they meant they find it more natural to fret with a certain hand. Although we have to sync up both hands what they're doing is totally different, i know i can't fret with my right hand to save my life.