I decided a while ago that I wouldn't use the trem on my LTD M-50 so I shoved a block of wood behind the bridge to stop it from moving. In case you don't know, I put the wood in the green highlighted area.

Now I'm thinking of removing all the tremolo springs so that there's more pressure between the bridge and the guitar in an attempt to create more sustain.

Do you think this is gonna work? And more importantly, will doing this damage my bridge in any way?
I dunno. I just thought that if the block of wood was squished tightly enough by removing the springs, more of the strings' vibrations would be directed into the body of the guitar rather than being wasted by going into the springs.
Last edited by leephan at Jan 16, 2009,
I doubt it will make much difference but I don't see how it can do any harm - but if the piece of wood is the right size to keep the bridge level wouldn't it just be easier to loosen the screws slightly to just take the pressure off the springs so the wood does all the work?
Quote by zhilla
I doubt it will make much difference but I don't see how it can do any harm - but if the piece of wood is the right size to keep the bridge level wouldn't it just be easier to loosen the screws slightly to just take the pressure off the springs so the wood does all the work?

Bingo. Take this suggestion, just leave the springs and loosen the claw screws.
I have never taken apart a floating bridge but have always thought it would fall out if the springs were gone?