haha i dunno, i just like it :S
do you ? if not why ?
imo there are some really good ones...better than a lot of bad bands out there
Last edited by luyezi27 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by luyezi27
haha i dunno, i just like it :S
do you ? if not why ?
imo there are some really good ones...better than a lot of bad bands out there

So you're saying christian rock is only better than bad bands?

The thing that immediately puts me off any form of christian music is the fact that I don't need to spend my free time being inadvertantly preached to about a religion I deliberately don't follow.
Quote by JackalUK
No, otherwise they wouldn't sell it

sry i should rephrase...am i the only non-christian that likes it
Quote by dandadog

The thing that immediately puts me off any form of christian music is the fact that I don't need to spend my free time being inadvertantly preached to about a religion I deliberately don't follow.

its music.... all music preaches things
Quote by dandadog

+1
The only few songs about religion that I like are in the likes of "Holy Wars, the Punishment due", "Jihad", "Creeping Death"...
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Quote by luyezi27
its music.... all music preaches things

Yes, but the music I listen to doesn't preach to me about things that are an unwanted knowledge that I'm forced to learn at school.

Most music, even new pop where they sing about troubles with husbands/wifes/partners or rappers where they sing about money/women, at least all these things are real and relevant.

Just my thoughts, not trying to stir an argument.

Edit.

A few weeks ago, A "Christian rock band" came to my school to perform for us. Now, they were very clearly not rock, in the opening song the 3 of them held up inflatable guitars the WRONG way round pretending to play them (strings facing them), most of their lyrics consisted of "Come here jesus" or "Get up, get down. Let's rock the house down".

The act of rocking ones house down does not seem very christian to me?

Oh and all 3 of them admitted to pre-marital sex, not very christian?

They shouldn't have been classed as rock; having a pop backing CD playing over the PA which they sing along to while playing inflatable guitars the wrong way round doesn't make them rock..

They did however, wear belts that says "Jesus rocks!" so that redeemed them a little.

I do quite like some christian rap though, as it's not so in your face. Like Grits- Ohh Ahh
Last edited by dandadog at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by dandadog

There is no "preaching" and it isn't "inadvertant". They sing about their beliefs and they do it on purpose. But taking your point to its logical extension, I don't need to hear alleged "musicians" telling us who they are screwing or what they are inhaling, smoking or drinking. Should I be pissed off about their exercising the right to speak freely? If not, you have to agree that fair is fair, and that means in the context of free speech.

Quote by Chorduroy
There is no "preaching" and it isn't "inadvertant". They sing about their beliefs and they do it on purpose. But taking your point to its logical extension, I don't need to hear alleged "musicians" telling us who they are screwing or what they are inhaling, smoking or drinking. Should I be pissed off about their exercising the right to speak freely? If not, you have to agree that fair is fair, and that means in the context of free speech.

I think you misunderstood me.. I wasn't saying christian rock is a bad thing, I was just giving reasons why I personally don't listen to it. You have your reasons for not listening to.. I'm guessing you're hitting on rappers there, which is a fair point, and I have my reasons to not listen to christian rock. To each his own, as long as he has a reason.
Quote by dandadog
I think you misunderstood me.. I wasn't saying christian rock is a bad thing, I was just giving reasons why I personally don't listen to it. You have your reasons for not listening to.. I'm guessing you're hitting on rappers there, which is a fair point, and I have my reasons to not listen to christian rock. To each his own, as long as he has a reason.

I was thinking specifically about hard-rocking types that aren't shy about their habits. If your choice is to just not listen to some people, no sweat. You and I each have a right to decide what to listen to and what to tune out, just as everyone has a right to believe and state whatever idea he likes. Fair enough. But the original message was about the merits of a particular type of music, and I happen to like it. I don't question your freedom to steer clear of it if it isn't your taste.

I like it. There's a big discussion on good christian bands floating somewhere around here.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I'm agreeing with Danda for the most part. Personally, sunday church gigs is as close as I think religion and music should come, plus I mainly probably don't listen to(or at least enjoy) Christian rock in particular because I'm Jewish. If it's traditional I can respect it, but taking the modern muse and throwing religion onto it just annoys me.

...great, saying the words "Muse" and "religion" now make me want to see Matt Bellamy in some sort of posture Jesus was in in any famous image.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I love chritsian rock, but then again I am a christian.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The closest I've gotten to christian rock is Creed and Alter Bridge.I really don't care if its a religious song so long as it sounds good. Then again, I'm christian, and I might not feel so comfortable listening to say... Buddhist Rock or Hindu Rock should it exist.
LTD EC-500 - 18v mod
Roland Cube 30
DigiTech RP-7 Valve Guitar Preamp/Multi-Effects Processor
no, but i like satanist metal.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

When it's more about the message than the music...

I don't like Christian rock any more than I like Nazi Black Metal. Which is to say, zero.
im not a fan of the more...passionate? christian bands. im a strong christian by that, and by that i dont mean what you probably think. i curse like a sailor, i love the blackest dark metal, i headbang just as hard as anyone. and you will never hear me criticize you for your beliefs or force mine on you unless you ask me or bring the subject up. by the more passionate bands, i mean i dont like bands that sing about how much they love jesus all day. cause quite frankly i dont care, thats great that you do and all, but its not what i want to listen to all day. i like bands like A7x. they dont even come out and say they are christian, but its quite obvious what they believe in. a LOT of their songs are based on biblical chapters or christianity. (Beast and the Harlot, The Wicked End, To End The Rapture, Dear God, etc). i however, mostly avoid listening to bands who bash my beliefs. songs i write never go against christian ideals, however they dont necessarily go for them. i dont know how to explain that. bands that i listen to as far as christianity for example are Underoath, a7x, haste the day, as i lay dying, flyleaf.

i hate how the current christian community is. 1 of every 10 christians you meet arent hypocrites. and because of that christians get looked down on. because we're christian doesnt mean we preach to you, we listen to softer music, or curse any less, or think any different. we just believe in God and His way. and if you dont. thats fine, thats your decision and i respect that.

sorry to go into a rant. all im saying is, i dont think christian music should even be a genre. people write music about what they believe in, and if they believe in christianity, thats what they write, whether thats in the form of Amazing Grace or Beast And The Harlot. but just cause its about christianity doesnt mean the sound should change, just the lyrics.
Last edited by s2thalayer at Jan 16, 2009,
give me nazi punk anyday
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
There are some truly amazing Christian bands out there, but it all depends on your taste...
Either you like the lyrics, you don't care, or they offend you... Just because the band is Christian does not mean that they are automatically horrible... Sure, Gibson may not sponsor these bands, but they still rock hard!
Christian Rock is horrific, and as a Born Again Christian it sickens me how corny and terrible it is. But they're some great christian metal/core bands out there.

As I Lay Dying and War of Ages are a great example. They have great music and do christian lyrics the way they should be done.

Christian Death Metal bands are great too. With Blood Comes Cleansing and Impending Doom are awesome and as heavy as any band you will find.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
Christian Rock is horrific, and as a Born Again Christian it sickens me how corny and terrible it is. But they're some great christian metal/core bands out there.

As I Lay Dying and War of Ages are a great example. They have great music and do christian lyrics the way they should be done.

Christian Death Metal bands are great too. With Blood Comes Cleansing and Impending Doom are awesome and as heavy as any band you will find.

are you dave mustaine?
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by sg_man08
are you dave mustaine?

Not yet, but hopefully someday

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by BucketHayden
kerry king once said religion is the cheapest form of mind control.....thats my answer

lulz
Quote by RockAddict311
lulz

Kerry King is awesome but if your using his views to base your philosophical opinions on then that is a bit roflworthy.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
But they're some great christian metal/core bands out there.

This is about as true as saying there are some good Christian bands. I was pretty convinced that no one actually liked Christian music. They kinda just felt obligated to listen to it.
Quote by Korosu
This is about as true as saying there are some good Christian bands. I was pretty convinced that no one actually liked Christian music. They kinda just felt obligated to listen to it.

I don't feel obligated to listen to any music. That's why I listen to Suffocation and Dying Fetus and I listen to As I Lay Dying and Underoath.

If I like the music regardless of the lyrical content I listen to it. Now some lyrics i find more meaningful to me personally, so I enjoy those songs more.

And there is a huge difference in the lyrics of Christian Metal and Christian Rock. Most christian metal bands aren't preachy at all and have great emotional lyrics. Where as Christian Rock bands are as corny and sappy and preachy as can be.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
I don't feel obligated to listen to any music. That's why I listen to Suffocation and Dying Fetus and I listen to As I Lay Dying and Underoath.

If I like the music regardless of the lyrical content I listen to it. Now some lyrics i find more meaningful to me personally, so I enjoy those songs more.

And there is a huge difference in the lyrics of Christian Metal and Christian Rock. Most christian metal bands aren't preachy at all and have great emotional lyrics. Where as Christian Rock bands are as corny and sappy and preachy as can be.

It was more so a joke. But in all seriousness, there are few Christian metal bands I can actually listen to. I'm not sure if it's simply because they're Christian or because I don't actually like them. Although Thrice (Christian members, not necessarily a Christian band) is one of my favorite bands. I guess it just depends.
Quote by Korosu
It was more so a joke. But in all seriousness, there are few Christian metal bands I can actually listen to. I'm not sure if it's simply because they're Christian or because I don't actually like them. Although Thrice (Christian members, not necessarily a Christian band) is one of my favorite bands. I guess it just depends.

Thrice has christian members? Didn't know that, I don't like them for some reason but they are great musicians.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Not my musical preference, but that doesnt diminish their talent (well, some of them anyways)
hate to break it to ya bud but christian rock is made for only the lamest of the lame... take your blind faith and gay melodies elsewhere
Quote by WitoutJahNuttin

Red is a little light for my taste but still a good band.

Gay melodies and christian stereotypes meet your DOOM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgF2hDNjSk

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by KeeF23
hate to break it to ya bud but christian rock is made for only the lamest of the lame... take your blind faith and gay melodies elsewhere

*sigh*
The only Christian band I listen to is Flatfoot 56. But then again, they don't really preach in any of their songs. Plus they put on an awesome live show.
That being said, I don't really have anything against other Christian bands, I just don't like 'em.
'Christian' and 'Rock' don't go together. The definitions don't coincide. Christianity is all about peace and love and whatnot, whereas rock (Unless you're talking about hippy rock), is loud and energetic and stuff. By the way, the Christian rock bands I'm thinking of are Stryper and Pillar and bands like that.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
The Famine is awesome. Seen them live twice and met the vocalist once. Super nice guys.

He had a Suffocation shirt on. The one that says "Bath in the entrails of YOU". Doesn't get much more metal than that.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Page 1 of 2