i mean like Beethoven, mozart, bach, chopin....all those ppl, their music lives on and its been centuries

do u think rock and roll bands like zeppelin will last that long? why or why not
Because back then music was for enjoyment, modern music is short for radio play and so people don't get sick of it as quickly.
RULE BRITANNIA
Basically everyone was a well rounded musician back then and so they could enjoy it.

After WWII, everyone stopped spending money on music and invested in life's necessities and the appreciation of classical music faded.
Classical music composers wrote symphonies not songs :P
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
after reading thread title i thought it was about the duration of the songs and i came to make a your mom/girlfriend joke (probably the former since no one has girlfriends here).

never you mind
I think it has more to do with the sheer volume of music produced now-days. Back in the day there wasnt much music being composed, so good peices of music really stood out.

Now days everyones making music, its gotta be harder to make something that really stands out.
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Because it's good.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by WangmasterHizzl
I think it has more to do with the sheer volume of music produced now-days. Back in the day there wasnt much music being composed, so good peices of music really stood out.

Now days everyones making music, its gotta be harder to make something that really stands out.

lies.
Quote by WangmasterHizzl

Are you kidding?

Everyone and their mother was a musician back then, it was a HUGE cultural thing in those times, if you didn't learn how to play at least one instrument, you were considered a simpleton back then.
Because of many factors.

At the time, if you were a composer, you composed classical pieces. Whereas now, you have so many different styles of music.

It was the first style of music to be taught professionally at colleges and universities.

If you listen to classical a lot, your seen as cultured. Whereas if you listen to punk, your seen as being unemployed.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
imagine having grandkids listening to fall out boy and saying they enjoy listening to older music than the crap thats out today.
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
imagine having grandkids listening to fall out boy and saying they enjoy listening to older music than the crap thats out today.

urrgggh.. i dont think i can - i'd have to disown them.. and their parents for allowing that to happen
Did you know that 37% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Quote by spider666
Because of many factors.

At the time, if you were a composer, you composed classical pieces. Whereas now, you have so many different styles of music.

It was the first style of music to be taught professionally at colleges and universities.

If you listen to classical a lot, your seen as cultured. Whereas if you listen to punk, your seen as being unemployed.

This guy summed it up really...
This would go on for a very long time....
Classical music will always be viewed as the superior sound due to the amount of classy people backing it up...
*Yawn
Not sure if metal would still be around in the future.. but judging on how much it changed in the last 20 years..
We probably wouldn't recognise it if we saw our grandkids listening to it..
And..
What was the question again?
Quote by WangmasterHizzl

actually nowadays music doesnt need to be any good to be popular, just go to MTV or something, it looks like they were composed in less than a day.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
As Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees said on TV last night; Good music is good music forever.
Most Classical music isn't listened to anymore or was lost, because it was ****.
The good music will remain popular and the crap gets filtered out.
Quote by akm_202
actually nowadays music doesnt need to be any good to be popular, just go to MTV or something, it looks like they were composed in less than a day.

The Beatles composed lots of their stuff in 3 hours.
Sure Yesterday came to Paul in a dream.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Because back then music was for enjoyment, modern music is short for radio play and so people don't get sick of it as quickly.

I agree, people don't listen to music for enjoyment anymore.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Most Classical music isn't listened to anymore or was lost, because it was ****.
The good music will remain popular and the crap gets filtered out.

You just gotta look at music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's to see that the same process happens.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
I would give the following reasons:

1. Quality. It would be a bit odd to think of reasons and not mention that people like it for a good reason.
2. It's used in various different medias (ballet, opera etc)
3. Elitism. I don't to attach a negative connotation, but it can't be denied that, at least part, of the popularity comes from it's status as the music of the aficionado, the cultured man. It has a long history and all the prestige that comes with that, in many people's eyes.
4. It's what's taught in schools by classically trained teachers. It's taught because the basic rules are easily understood and its qualities can often be formulated in a way that the qualities of popular music can't. Pointing out that blues music often uses the b5 is irrelevant because that doesn't capture anything of the music, because it doesn't have a strict system of rules. However saying that 'sonata form is generally Exposition, development and recapitulation often with...' is relevant, because composers had these kind of rules. 'Once i have done this, it's likely one of these will follow'. Of course these exist in modern music as well, but they're not understood by most music teachers and haven't had time to become a part of history.
4. Classical studies are still thought of as the way to teach children individual musicianship. No one gets their child violin and says 'here's a book of strathspeys'.
5. They were rich and some of it was written down.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by WangmasterHizzl

Not true. Musicians made their money by selling their sheet music. Everyone was an amateur musician. They couldn't turn on the Record Player and listen to Bach so they had to play it themselves.

Another thing to note is many of the Baroque era Composers that live in infamy today weren't nearly as popular back in the day. During the Baroque era Operas were the thing to do, but no one remembers the Baroque era for it's operas today. Time will tell how good which rock bands are and what genres are good.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
also theres alot of influence in music now so it kinda has to stay around...plus it defines everything about music...actualy i think its the only real "music" if we go be what music is supposed to be then we'll see that essential pieces are missing from what we call "music" for example some "music" is just the same beat over and over again and we call it music but its not, its just sound (and so i dont get flamed i like it) lyrical poetry is a better term for some/most of our "music" nowadays
well to be honest, Classical music is the ultiamte of all musical genious, the pure thought that has gone into each piece is amazing

after studying pieces such as Haydn's Trumpet Concerto in Eb, u learn to realise the pure brilliance

i used to think "EWWWW classical music"
overtime ive grown to love it , though music these days is technically awesome, it will never be as genious as classical

nuff said
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Someone only read the thread title.

Probably because they're considered masterpieces. With the internet and easy access to MP3's, pretty much all music that's around now will be available and well known in the future.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by N3vre
well to be honest, Classical music is the ultiamte of all musical genious, the pure thought that has gone into each piece is amazing

after studying pieces such as Haydn's Trumpet Concerto in Eb, u learn to realise the pure brilliance

i used to think "EWWWW classical music"
overtime ive grown to love it , though music these days is technically awesome, it will never be as genious as classical

nuff said

QFT

Classical music is the pinnacle of music, no musician will ever surpass Beethoven or Mozart and I'm not saying this to be an elititist. I wish better musicians than them will come along but it's just probably not going to happen.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
Quote by Mr_Kite
QFT

Classical music is the pinnacle of music, no musician will ever surpass Beethoven or Mozart and I'm not saying this to be an elititist. I wish better musicians than them will come along but it's just probably not going to happen.

You're still coming off as elitist, though. Classical music isn't the "pinnacle" of music; it's just a style of music. There is plenty of bad classical music out there, but nobody performs it, and nobody publishes it anymore. The good stuff is some of the best music in the world, but the same could be said of any style of music.

Sure, Beethoven and Mozart were fantastic composers, two of the best, but it's preposterous to say that nobody will ever be better. Especially considering that greatness is subjective. I mean, how do you measure greatness, especially when dealing with people from different time periods? Today's composers know much more about harmony than Mozart and Beethoven did, but it isn't fair to call them better, since harmony has become more sophisticated over the past couple of centuries. You can't judge it on melody, either, since there are many different opinions on what constitutes a good melody. Orchestration is out, too, since the rules of part writing have changed over time.
Quote by meh!
I would give the following reasons:

1. Quality. It would be a bit odd to think of reasons and not mention that people like it for a good reason.
2. It's used in various different medias (ballet, opera etc)
3. Elitism. I don't to attach a negative connotation, but it can't be denied that, at least part, of the popularity comes from it's status as the music of the aficionado, the cultured man. It has a long history and all the prestige that comes with that, in many people's eyes.
4. It's what's taught in schools by classically trained teachers. It's taught because the basic rules are easily understood and its qualities can often be formulated in a way that the qualities of popular music can't. Pointing out that blues music often uses the b5 is irrelevant because that doesn't capture anything of the music, because it doesn't have a strict system of rules. However saying that 'sonata form is generally Exposition, development and recapitulation often with...' is relevant, because composers had these kind of rules. 'Once i have done this, it's likely one of these will follow'. Of course these exist in modern music as well, but they're not understood by most music teachers and haven't had time to become a part of history.
4. Classical studies are still thought of as the way to teach children individual musicianship. No one gets their child violin and says 'here's a book of strathspeys'.
5. They were rich and some of it was written down.

lololololololo you counted 4 twice lolololololol
oops
Quote by Holy Katana
You're still coming off as elitist, though. Classical music isn't the "pinnacle" of music; it's just a style of music. There is plenty of bad classical music out there, but nobody performs it, and nobody publishes it anymore. The good stuff is some of the best music in the world, but the same could be said of any style of music.

Sure, Beethoven and Mozart were fantastic composers, two of the best, but it's preposterous to say that nobody will ever be better. Especially considering that greatness is subjective. I mean, how do you measure greatness, especially when dealing with people from different time periods? Today's composers know much more about harmony than Mozart and Beethoven did, but it isn't fair to call them better, since harmony has become more sophisticated over the past couple of centuries. You can't judge it on melody, either, since there are many different opinions on what constitutes a good melody. Orchestration is out, too, since the rules of part writing have changed over time.

well to be honest these days, people cant write for such a wide range of instruments and to put them together in such a manner and the little subtlties that are found in classical are beyond modern day composers ability

although Jazz music, particularly in the harmony is fantastic

in the classical period, diminished 7ths and adds were generally un heard of and quite frankly, not appreciated either

and yet today we find it all the time and think it is awesome

i like any kind of music, but i do find that classical music its the pinnacle of musical creation because of all the hard work that goes into each and every piece that is written
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
Because classical music is true genius, simply put.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I bevlieve most of it has been said, but I shall sum everything up.

*takes deep breath*

*holds*

nah, fuck it, I'm going back to bed.
led zeppelin will live on forever. classical music will live forever. poppy radio friendly hannah montana crap will not.
everything's really been said, but simply put quality lasts. And especially when it's tied to culture-there are folk songs still around today that predate the spectrum of what we call classical (1650ish and on...) and what not. but yeah, good stuff will last. The Beatles' music will last for centuries. I'd be highly surprised if the majority of the music of Led Zeppelin and what they spawned has not faded into Montiverdian obscurity after a century or two.
Because those guys were the iconic rock stars of their days. And their life stories are generally very crazy. My friend told me that Paganini would get head from some random bitch while he shredded up his violin....... thats badass
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Good music lives on, from each era. There were undoubtedly thousands of classical composers who have been forgotten, probably because they were crap. That's obviously pretty simplistic, but I think there's truth in it.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
OH, i left another important reason out:

Religion. Catholicism and Protestantism all had theme tunes.
Quote by Cianyx

Not sure if metal would still be around in the future.. but judging on how much it changed in the last 20 years..
We probably wouldn't recognise it if we saw our grandkids listening to it..
And..
What was the question again?

Metal has been going 40 years now, it's only getting stronger, there's very little doubt in my mind it'll die away any time soon.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too