Page 1 of 3
Will new heavy metal bands be able to found a sound unique to them or a sound the will influence a genre? Will new bands go heavier? Complexer? Faster?
Because I cannot imagine how metal could evolve into another genre, or go complexer or faster or heavier than it already is.
Maybe new metal bands will not create new sub-genres but fuse them (although this has already been done opeth which is death + prog, R.A.T.M (okay this might not be metal) which is metal + rap and ygnwie malmsteen which is classical + metal just to name a few) in ways that have not been done before.
Discus?
Last edited by Shredoftheday at Jan 16, 2009,
Boring.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
if you want to be correct, practicly every band would have it's own genre but we're not going there because it would be to confusing, i've seen albums labeled as progressive death metal with doom and black metal influences and gothic vocals. they will only label this as a genre when there are loads of bands that sound like this. so genres will keep appearing, pirate metal, viking metal, polka metal, troll metal are examples of that.

so I guess there will allways be a new "genre" but in the end, we're gonna be to darn lazy to give it a name

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by Cheesepuff
Technical Stoner Metal

"Whoa man... this **** is haaaardd..."

'Dude...look at your fingers dude...they're sooo...whoooooooooo...'
"They're called fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing... oh wait, there they go..."

Anyway, metal is always gonna progress. Bands like Brain Drill, PsyOpus and Beneath the Massacre push the technicallity and speed boundaries (no matter how much you hate them), band's like uneXpecT and SiKth push(ed) the weird and diverse levels, people like Vladimir Cochet and Devin Townsend push all kinds of genres into one band, etc.

People will always push genre boundaries, mixing stuff up and seeing what they can do. It's the human nature.
what Maggie said; I think the old elements would be used in a new kind of songwriting, like we already saw with Arcturus, Ne Obliviscaris and other bands - these were just an example. Like a big tree it will just keep growing, splitting into new directions. Personally I think the technicality is has gone as far as it can (though of course the AR representative that refused to sign the Beatles - because the guitar music was on the way out - would suggest otherwise), but the songwriting and each artist's individual voice would keep things fresh. That's how it's going to move forward, I suppose.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Yeah, I mean, I don't think people can get anymore technical than constant gravity blasts and 7-string sweeps...
But yeah, people are always going to take elements from all around them and add them to their own stuff.
I have a bad feeling it will start off in the spirit of exploration and drop off into a clusterfuck of noise. Hopefully not but theres already alot of that going on.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by Magero
Yeah, I mean, I don't think people can get anymore technical than constant gravity blasts and 7-string sweeps...
But yeah, people are always going to take elements from all around them and add them to their own stuff.

Maybe Meshuggah will start doing 8 string sweeps in 17/16, 13/16, 10/8 and 31/32...
Quote by Shredoftheday
Will new heavy metal bands be able to found a sound unique to them or a sound the will influence a genre? Will new bands go heavier? Complexer? Faster?
Because I cannot imagine how metal could evolve into another genre, or go complexer or faster or heavier than it already is.
Maybe new metal bands will not create new sub-genres but fuse them (although this has already been done opeth which is death + prog, R.A.T.M (okay this might not be metal) which is metal + rap and ygnwie malmsteen which is classical + metal just to name a few) in ways that have not been done before.
Discus?

You think in the '70s people thought anything could be heavier than Black Sabbath or faster than Judas Priest? No, that was why when bands like Venom came around it was so incredible. No one could have imagined anything like it.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Basically, death metal bands keep trying to outdo each other until death metal actually becomes grindcore
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MetalMessiah665
You think in the '70s people thought anything could be heavier than Black Sabbath or faster than Judas Priest? No, that was why when bands like Venom came around it was so incredible. No one could have imagined anything like it.

Yeah, but now days we're dealing with bands like Brain Drill, PsyOpus, Beneath The Massacre and Anomalous, not Black Sabbath and Judas Priest
Quote by Butt Rayge
Maybe Meshuggah will start doing 8 string sweeps in 17/16, 13/16, 10/8 and 31/32...

That would be awful.
Quote by technicolour
Is complexer a word?

And I think in the future we'll get more "bands" making "music" like Stalaggh

We already have far too many like Stalaggh

Have you heard of T.O.M.B.? Their 'music' is banging on mausoleum (sp?) walls with metal poles.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by MHDrunk
We already have far too many like Stalaggh

Have you heard of T.O.M.B.? Their 'music' is banging on mausoleum (sp?) walls with metal poles.

That's great.

Maggie: Regardless of those bands' suckage, it could be more extreme, we just don't know how, just like most people then didn't know how Judas Priest could possibly be more extreme... At least that's what I think... Brain Drill suck cack (cock in a Bostonian accent)!
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
How 'bout encourporating more instruments into different genres of metal. Violins in death metal, Tubas in thrash...think of the possibilities..
T.O.M.B. is a mysterious, unnamed entity well known for crafting the darkest
noise recordings with the aid of nothing but field recordings. With Macabre
Noize Royale, T.O.M.B. has set out to push the boundaries further than ever
before.
To collect the field recordings T.O.M.B. travelled and trespassed through
Pennsylvania’s darkest landmarks including:
Bethlehem Steel Works - builder of large calibre guns during WWI and WWII
Eden Hall Church - 157 year old gothic church destroyed from arson
Laurel Hill Cemetery - 170 year old cemetery
Lambertville High School - students burned alive 30 years ago, site of
countless suicides since.
Each location has a disturbing history and they have become locations of
multiple ghost sightings and unexplained deaths.

Through these field recordings, smashing recording rods into massive steel
structures and ancient crypt doors, T.O.M.B. reawakens the decaying structures
and the agonizing history they hold sealed.
The recordings are then crafted into the darkest, heaviest BLACK NOISE ever
recorded. And for the first time full Black Metal / Industrial tracks have been
created.

Macabre Noize Royale is T.O.M.B.’s most diverse album by far. Integrating pure
noise with ambience, Industrial and Black Metal. The clear intention is to push
the boundaries of Black Noise sound manipulation and continue to shock the
listener (both fans and newcomers).

Chosen Musicians who contributed to this Occult Recording Consist of:
OBSCURE MANIFESTO (Engorge)
JOSEPH GORSKI (Deteriorate)
ALEX BOUKS (Goreaphobia)
JAY ANDERSON (Deteriorate, Zahgurim)
THOROUS (Deteriorate)
MIKE TRUSH (Deteriorate, Necrotion, Sil Veth)
JOSEPH GULD (Deteriorate)
VED ROCKE
RUSS GALE (Hazarax)

Recorded between November 2002 and September 2007 at various locations in New
Jersey and Pennsylvania USA. Studios include: Helvete, Sound War, Satans
Palace.

haha
I actually don't mind the "songs", some chill ambient stuff, I liked them better before I read all that, it basically sounds like vandals hitting historical ruins, but whatever, the sound speaks for itself. But in terms of tr00 BLACK KVLT evilness Stalaggh > T.O.M.B.

EDIT - and some of the songs are just jokes, mainly the ones that try to sound like songs.
Last edited by technicolour at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Magero
Yeah, but now days we're dealing with bands like Brain Drill, PsyOpus, Beneath The Massacre and Anomalous, not Black Sabbath and Judas Priest

That would be awful.

I already think Meshuggah is awful.

Brilliant Drummer though.
I'd like to see some death/thrash/melodic/black/folk/power/viking/speed metal That would be impressive.
That's not that hard.
Thrash and speed are both fast, blackened death is common, folk/power/viking are all quite common in combination with the others and melodic... well... that's not that hard.
I have to say, I was looking at the T.O.M.B. myspace and I actually quite liked the song ForbiddenCallsInvokePolterage
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I think that in the future, riffery may take a backseat to texturing in quite a few bands.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by Shredoftheday
The problem is that if bands do get more tech or eviler, won't it sound like a pile of crap?

Yes
DEATHCORE JOKES ARE NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

Quote by mr kipling
I think that in the future, riffery may take a backseat to texturing in quite a few bands.

Yes.
Quote by Shredoftheday
The problem is that if bands do get more tech or eviler, won't it sound like a pile of crap?

No.
Quote by meanmrmustad
Yes

No.
Quote by Nafon
Technical Brutal Deathcore

It has Breakdowns at 300bpm

No.
Quote by MHDrunk
DEATHCORE JOKES ARE NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

Yes.
Page 1 of 3