Hi

I'm on the look out for a new amp. I'm currently using a Marshall Valvestate 8080 112, but it's not a particularly great sounding amp IMO. My band plays hard rock influenced by bands like Queens of the Stone Age (their earlier albums), Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Stone Temple Pilots.

So far, I've found the Crate V50-112, Peavey Valve King 112, Kustom Defender, Randall RG-50 TC, and Bugera 6260 212 in my price range. Does anyone know if any of these would be suitable, for the type of music I've described above?

I don't have a lot to spend at the moment, and was hoping to spend around £400 at the most. Ideally I'd like something that puts out at least 30-watts. Unfortunately, buying second-hand isn't really an option, since I need this amp fairly quickly for a few gigs coming up shortly.

Also one more thing, I have an Ibanez TS9DX Tubescreamer Turbo I can use to drive the tubes harder, if that'll help getting some nice heavy overdrive.

Anyone have ideas?
The Bugera and the Randall would be good choices. You should go to a local guitar shop and try them yourself and see which one you like better! Personally I would take the Bugera but that's just me. I like having loads of headroom and i wouls say its more versatile than the randall! If you do get the Bugera be sure to check out beerchurch's blog on inspecting your Bugera for faults!
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
Thanks frets, I'll see if I can find either or hopefully both to test drive. I'm also curious about the Peavey Classic 30 if anyone has any opinions on this.

One last thing, does anyone know if 6L6's or EL84's be better suited to the kind of sound I'm after? The Bugera has a switch which can be flicked, to easily enable swapping out the power amp tubes, but to my knowledge the Classic 30 and Randall do not (I may be wrong though)

EDIT: Sorry, it seems the Bugera takes 6L6's or EL34's. So if anyone cloud tell me the difference between these 3 tube types (6L6, EL34 and EL84) and which would suit me best, it'd be much appreciated
Last edited by The Moj at Jan 16, 2009,
if the bugera is going to be giged i owuld not get. they arent durable at all. my stays were it always has.

even though out of your price range i suggest the peavy jsx 212 combo. i play the same music you do in my band and this amp had the best sound ive ever heard. beuaticful cleans, ac/dc crunch, and van halen ultra channels. they sound perfect.

crate v50 is your best bet. it is just as durable as the jsx and ive even seen them thrown accross the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

the valveking has a bad speaker stock and itlll need replace to sound good.

classic 30 is nice but i would take a v50 over it any day.
Quote by The Moj
Thanks frets, I'll see if I can find either or hopefully both to test drive. I'm also curious about the Peavey Classic 30 if anyone has any opinions on this.

One last thing, does anyone know if 6L6's or EL84's be better suited to the kind of sound I'm after? The Bugera has a switch which can be flicked, to easily enable swapping out the power amp tubes, but to my knowledge the Classic 30 and Randall do not (I may be wrong though)

EDIT: Sorry, it seems the Bugera takes 6L6's or EL34's. So if anyone cloud tell me the difference between these 3 tube types (6L6, EL34 and EL84) and which would suit me best, it'd be much appreciated

the amp will only take one type of tube and the same type of tube has to be put back in. if you didnt you will fry your amp.

most of your sound comes from the preamp tubes but 6l6 is most common and i like it better.

this switch is called a standby switch and you will be shocked or burned if you pulled a tube out in while the amp is standby mode.

before you consider even messing with tubes research them. this will keep you and those around you safe and save you money from stupid mistakes. if you dont feel like researching them then have a pro do it.
Peavey Classic 30 and overdrive pedals do not put the amp into natural distortion all OD pedals do is emulate the sound of an overdrviven tube amp.
nah are you sure.

Cause i just put my classic 30's clean channel all the **** up and put a CM-2 inot it and it sounded pretty "natural".
Quote by CrysisFX
if the bugera is going to be giged i owuld not get. they arent durable at all. my stays were it always has.

even though out of your price range i suggest the peavy jsx 212 combo. i play the same music you do in my band and this amp had the best sound ive ever heard. beuaticful cleans, ac/dc crunch, and van halen ultra channels. they sound perfect.

crate v50 is your best bet. it is just as durable as the jsx and ive even seen them thrown accross the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

the valveking has a bad speaker stock and itlll need replace to sound good.

classic 30 is nice but i would take a v50 over it any day.

wha what wha.

have you even played a classic 30.
wow...

I don't even know where to begin.

um...JSX is a little to bright and pricey for what TS wants. Used gear is where it is at but I can't help you in the UK. Classic 30 should work with an OD.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 16, 2009,
If you can find a Laney VC50 second hand, that'll be perfect. It's a great combo, but they are discontinued now, I think.
You can get Laney VC30s still, but they're completely different. (VC30 is based on a Vox AC30, the VC50 was based on the Laney GH50L).
Second hand you might be able to pick up a Mesa F-50 fairly cheaply.
But if you wanna go new, Bugera amps are meant to be pretty good.
Member of the Laney Cult
yup yup.

Used gear all the way.

I got a pretty good set up now thanks to buying used.

Peavey classic 30-used
Carvin 212-used
CM-2
Epiphone Black beauty

The peavey and the carvin where 475 bucks.

best money ever spent.

THANK YOU CRAIGSLIST.

THANK YOU UG.