I heard a story about a local guitar store. Someone dropped off a €2000 guitar for a setup or something, and apparently the store "lost" the guitar. The guy didn't get any kind of compensation either.

It's pretty scary because I was almost going to use this same store to upgrade one of my guitars. How can you protect yourself from getting screwed like that guy?
Oh wow, that sucks. Have a contract of some to sign (I've never gotten guitar work done, but it would seem like it would be written somewhere on the receipt.)

How can one lose a guitar in the first place?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Always, always always always make sure you have a written record from the store of the fact that you've dropped off your guitar there for repair.

Give them a reasonable amount of time and if they start to be hazy about giving it back, demand it back or threaten legal action. If they "lose" it, which is completely f*cking ridiculous, go straight to the cops and report a theft. I don't care if it's the only guitar shop in town, that's insanely poor or insanely shady business, and you have every right to sue the f*ck out of them.
Quote by Patcher
Always, always always always make sure you have a written record from the store of the fact that you've dropped off your guitar there for repair.

Give them a reasonable amount of time and if they start to be hazy about giving it back, demand it back or threaten legal action. If they "lose" it, which is completely f*cking ridiculous, go straight to the cops and report a theft. I don't care if it's the only guitar shop in town, that's insanely poor or insanely shady business, and you have every right to sue the f*ck out of them.

Thats a bit extreme isn't it?

I'd find out all the facts about what happened and then contact the police if necessary.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Know the people setting up your guitar. I have two stores around me, local music store and a Guitar Center. I know the guys at the local store well enough that they would be give me free tune-ups, string changes, or any other minor set ups. The guy at the Guitar Center is a nice guy. I'm not saying to hang with the dudes, but become friendly with them (It also helps if you bought the guitar from their store). Local stores usually aren't big fans of GC.
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
I would flip s*** if that ever happened to me.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Yeah a guitar is kind of a bigger object to be "loosing." It sounds to me to be a bit more like "thieving" than anything else. Avoid that place like the plague
This is a situation where you sue the company who "lost" it.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
damm if i lost my guitar :S
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
If someone "lost" my guitar I would go ape **** in the store, they should make this common law. Stores must sign contracts with people trusting them with their investments, if it was "somehow lost" it should be replaced with a new instrument of customer choosing, regardless of price.
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.