I was thinking about buying a pickup cover and have it painted with some kind of symbol such as a japanese Kanji, but I'm not sure if it will alter the pickup's performance or if the paint will actually stick to it (it's stainless). I also have thought about using something to burn the pickup cover if the paint doesn't works. What do you think?
try getting a replacement pickup cover to do it on, then fit it

if you dont like it you can always swap back
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
You sure can! Paint, unless it's electrically conductive/active, won't affect the performance of your pickup at all. If the cover is stainless, you might not get paint to stick to it very well without scuffing it up a bit.

Burnt chrome can look pretty cool, a few companies manufacture pickups just like that, so it can be done. I'm not sure what the process is, or how to get the burnt look to stick around over time though...
Quote by deftonesordie
You can etch it as well, that would look pretty badass.

this.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
*high five*

I think it'd be super badass if you could get the matte black pickup covers like EMG's and etch through to the chrome/silver underneath.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
*high five*

I think it'd be super badass if you could get the matte black pickup covers like EMG's and etch through to the chrome/silver underneath.

good idea, my bass has EMG's...

naw I'm gonna trade it hopefully, might not be the best idea to go etching it. oh well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's etch? Is it to remove the upper layer of the cover?
Quote by eueueu
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's etch? Is it to remove the upper layer of the cover?

Take a sharp pointy implement and start searching Google... I mean start scratching
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
well, getting someone else to do it is pretty expensive, but it's really pretty easy to do yourself if you can get the acid. You just have to completely cover the pickup cover in wax, scratch into the wax the shape you want to etch on, making sure you completely remove the wax in that area, then pour acid into the form removed from the wax. Leave it a few mins, wash out the acid with tap water, and clean off the wax.

Beeswax works well as a wax, and etching strength acids arn't dangerous as long as you wash them off before too long - they might eat through clothing, or bleach it, if not rinsed out, but as long as you don't swallow it, or get it in any orifice really, you should be fine.

edit: you can also get etching pens, that are just pens filled with a weak acid, that you just use to draw the shape you want, and let the acid do the work.
Last edited by Mad_BOB at Jan 16, 2009,
I guess I have some HCl stored around here. Will take a try (once I get my hand on the cover), thanks
Edit posts, buddy.

what guitar is it? If it's a more 'wild' shape, you may want something to contrast the extremity, or, if it's a little more tame, do something crazy!

Stencils are always cool too
------

Shwiggity.
I was looking for some kind of "zen" stuff, like a japanese kanji, but I couldn't find any written with a single letter and a nice meaning.

Forgot to tell that I'll have it sanded and covered with a new layer of some wood I still haven't chosen (because my guitar's not made from a single block of wood).
Last edited by eueueu at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by deftonesordie

Pardon my squirrely ignorance, but isn't an EMG cover all plastic? So scratching would just get you some more metal...

Hmmm, that gives me an idea- there are spray-on black rubber coatings available, right? Spraying such a coat onto a standard pickup cover and etching through it might look pretty killer.
So now I have the model I'll try to acid etch to it, but the acid I have here is too weak and it's kind of hard to buy any strong acid around here, do you know any alternative material I can do it with?
It must be some kind of material that works on chrome steel
Last edited by eueueu at Jan 17, 2009,
The reason it won't etch is that stainless steel forms a chromium oxide surface layer - i think if you scratch this off it should work, but you may have to introduce the acid relatively quickly.
Originally Posted by eueueu

Take a sharp pointy implement and start searching Google... I mean start scratching

Iseewhatyoudidthere.

Staying on subject, maybe you could use a decal then try sticking that onto the cover. But you just have to make sure the decal/sticker is small enough and can stick on the cover. Try this: http://www.best-decals.com/
They have custom decals as well, but I'm not sure they accept kanji or symbols, for that matter.
Good luck.