hey guys, this is my first post, so bear with me please. i am looking for a new guitar (a step up from my squier classic vibe '60's strat) and i am, like anybody, drawn to the les pauls. i also wanted new options as far as tone goes...i dont really care for the bright sound of single coil pickups.

i, being 14, am on a quite limited budget and only have $300 saved up. so i found two different epiphone les pauls: the 100 and the studio. as far as i can tell, there is hardly any difference between the two except that the studio uses Alnico Classic humbuckers and the 100 has 700T/650R pickups. i dont really know what the difference is between the two differentkinds of pickups, to be perfectly honest.

any sort of advice/comments/whatever will be nice. below are links to the guitars.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar?sku=518661

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=512585

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I don't really see those as a step up from you're current guitar...
You could get somethin better for the money. I had a Lp100 once and thoroughly disliked it.
I suggest saving a little more and buying something better.
$300? Buy used! You get a lot better quality for the money. For 300 bucks I'd get a used MIM Fat strat.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
the lp 100 is a toy.

and the studio is an intermediate guitar.

like said, not really a step up. more like a step sideways.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Save up some real cash, like $800, and you will make a much better investment.
ಠ_ಠ
with all that being said...how does the epi standard differ?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
same thing as the studio but it has block inlays, covered pickups, all that differs is the looks. The studio is a wayy nicer guitar than the 100, the 100 has a bolt on neck and feels cheap while the studio is a very solid guitar.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
well if the studio is the same thing functionally as the standard, why should i spend $200 more for the standard? i could care less about block inlays and pickup covers at this point in my life.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
the studio is for the people who couldnt care less how plain their guitar looks as its meant for home playing or studio work as the name implies. I own the studio and it is a very nice guitar, sounds better than my buddy's MIM strat.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lkngro
hey guys, this is my first post, so bear with me please. i am looking for a new guitar (a step up from my squier classic vibe '60's strat) and i am, like anybody, drawn to the les pauls. i also wanted new options as far as tone goes...i dont really care for the bright sound of single coil pickups.

i, being 14, am on a quite limited budget and only have $300 saved up. so i found two different epiphone les pauls: the 100 and the studio. as far as i can tell, there is hardly any difference between the two except that the studio uses Alnico Classic humbuckers and the 100 has 700T/650R pickups. i dont really know what the difference is between the two differentkinds of pickups, to be perfectly honest.

any sort of advice/comments/whatever will be nice. below are links to the guitars.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar?sku=518661

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=512585

ok i will have you know this is my story completely. I'm 14 and had a choice between Epi les pauls. I had $300 and decided to go with the studio and wasnt disappointed
they are different guitars. ^ isn't is possible that you like the sound of an HH over an Hss or SSS?

of course.

yeah, i own a studio lp. i also own a mim strat and many other guitars and honestly, there's nothing wrong with a studio. but it's not a step up from your current guitar.
it's an intermediate HH guitar.

if you think you just dont like strats, then trade it in. take the hit and add to your cash on trade in and get a better HH guitar.

either that or look for a used HH.

i've seen used epi standards for $300- 350. i know it always depends on you location, but make sure you check.

lastly, before you get your next guitar, make sure your amp is at least intermediate, or any guitar will sound like a starter.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^He has a humbucker in the bridge that he uses most of the time. I love the sound of single coils but my LP blows the doors off his strat
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

If you buy an LP-100 or a Studio then it wouldn't even be a sidestep, it'd be a solid step backwards. Those Classic Vibe Strats are really nicely made for the money.

Unless you save up more and get an LP Standard, or you go to a copy brand like Vintage, Rally, Agile or Tokai and get an LP the same quality level as an Epi Standard, then there's really not all that much point you 'upgrading'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
it is a sidestep, it gives you versatillity because you will then have single coils and humbuckers. The 100 would be a step backwards but the studio is a very solid guitar.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

You'd be better off looking at a copy, eg. agile, tokai (really recommend this one).
I agree with you on that, but if you can't find one of those the studiois tons better than the 100
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

i also recently stumbled across the epi dot studio on musiciansfriend for the same price.

thoughts?

p.s. thanks for all the input guys. at the very least i know that i don't want an LP-100.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by lbj273
^He has a humbucker in the bridge that he uses most of the time. I love the sound of single coils but my LP blows the doors off his strat

yeah but a bridge humbucker in a strat sounds different than a humbucker in an lp.

they are just two different types of guitars.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

When i bought my studio for $300, the lp-100 was $180, and they've just recently in the past year jacked up the price on the lp-100, and you can always upgrade it l8r, like new pickups, and if u get black, gibsom sg knobs look very nice, but thats about the only thing thats gibson and will fit, but i say go for the studio
and if ur very crafty u can cut a gibson custom pickguard to fit and a screw new holes for a nickle jack plate
i don't think im that crafty haha.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Or by the time you've upgraded all that cosmetic stuff, you could have just bought a LP Standard and have a better built, better feeling, better playing and better sounding instrument.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Do NOT get the 100. I had 3, yes THREE of these guitars and they are ****. First one had pup problems, second one had bent neck and third one devleloped fret buzz second it got home. Thats when I said it was time to spend some money and get a decent guitar (THANK YOU GC for allowing me to return my 5 month old 100 for two new ones), then I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

I took it home and noticed it had a head stock problem, and since GC didn't have another one, I opted to get the Gibson I have now (which they gave me a hell of a deal on)

So save your money, and get a decent guitar, it will make playing that much better.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Save up more money to get a guitar that is actually an upgrade. You have a fairly nice guitar right now, just wait and use it for the moment.
Quote by kjkamo
and if ur very crafty u can cut a gibson custom pickguard to fit and a screw new holes for a nickle jack plate

You actually dont have to be that crafty to cut the pickguard, I only used a file and a drill bit for the rounded corner. And I just plugged the old hole with some small wood chunks and redrilled a hole in the right spot, I didnt need to glue the wood in. If you replace the knobs on it DO NOT buy the Gibson ones, they wont fit. I ended up buying ProLine knobs instead.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020