I'm currently filling out a college application. It requires that I write a four-hundred word essay. I typed it up in Microsoft Word and copied it into the text box they provided, and I noticed that all the formatting I used (italics, bold, etc) didn't copy over. I cited a book in the essay, so I need to use either italics or underline for the title. Since the text box doesn't allow formatting, though, I can't do either. Does anyone here have any alternatives to those two options?
Its ok. They know there's no formatting, so they don't care if it comes out looking a little weird. Just figure out some way to make clear that your quoting a book.
Quote by saint22
Its ok. They know there's no formatting, so they don't care if it comes out looking a little weird. Just figure out some way to make clear that your quoting a book.

This.

And if they don't know, tell them.
hue
Quote by saint22

I think I'm pretty clear. Here's the passage in question, "Author Mathew Simmons, who wrote Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy, writes..."

So you think that would be fine the way it is?

Just put speech marks around it or something

I don't think you're supposed to use quotation marks around book titles..
Quote by wesselbindt
It's grammer.

Wow, are you ACTUALLY retarded or was that failed sarcasm?

And TS, I'm not sure but I'd probably put apostrophes or quotation marks around the title of the book, just to make it clear that that is the title, as formatting isn't available. They can hardly complain as it's their crappy form that's not up to scratch

So,

"Author Mathew Simmons, who wrote 'Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy', writes..."
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by wesselbindt
It's grammer.

From dictionary.com,

grammar  - noun
the study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed; morphology and syntax.

grammer
No results found for grammer

And TS, I'm not sure but I'd probably put apostrophes or quotation marks around the title of the book, just to make it clear that that is the title, as formatting isn't available. They can hardly complain as it's their crappy form that's not up to scratch

Okay, I guess I can try that. I just don't want it to seem like I am mistaken on when to use quotation marks. There aren't any other grammatical issues though, so I doubt it will be too big of a deal..
Quote by wesselbindt
It's grammer.

quotation marks.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by wesselbindt
It's grammer.

Oh my God, you're an idiot if you were serious.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
"this is the quote u are using" (authors last name, page number)
Works Cited on Bottom
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
Quote by swansareroadkil
"this is the quote u are using" (authors last name, page number)
Works Cited on Bottom

The point is I can't italicize the book title, which I would have to do in that too. I don't actually have the book either. I just found the quote and the book it was from online.
Take a pen and underline it?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Take a pen and underline it?

It's an online application. It is for OSU, though, ha.
Quote by Spamwise
It's an online application. It is for OSU, though, ha.

Hah.

So you're typing it on Word?
Just retype it and underline it...

I mean, I don't understand the question; is your Word broke or something?
Do the paper application?
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Hah.

So you're typing it on Word?
Just retype it and underline it...

I mean, I don't understand the question; is your Word broke or something?
Do the paper application?

No, I wrote the paper and italicized the title in MSWord, and then I copied it over to the text box on the application. The box on the application doesn't allow any formatting like underlining or italicizing.
Quote by Spamwise
No, I wrote the paper and italicized the title in MSWord, and then I copied it over to the text box on the application. The box on the application doesn't allow any formatting like underlining or italicizing.

Can you "attach" a document? I'd do that if you could. If you can't, Iduno what to tell you, 'It' to it? They won't kill you, I promise.
Now say his name.....
Quote by KOxSENSAI
you can do this

"the information you quoted"-the books name

it might work

No, because I would still need to underline or italicize the name.

tags?

I'd try if I could preview it first, but since I can't I don't want to risk it, ha.
Well, it turns out that my essay was too long, so I ended up cutting out the section with the book title, heh. Thanks for the help anyway.