Tomorrow, I'm planning to go to GC and get a peavey vypyr, which is 300 dollars. I have a discount coupon if I spend 350 or more to get 50 back... so I figured I'll either get an effects pedal (depends how much money my parents will let me spend from my bank account) or a pickup.

Right now I have an epi stock pickup... it's a custom epi so I don't know if they use better pickups. Right now, I feel that they're a bit too muddy, and that harmonics don't really shine through too well. I'd also like to be able to get a bit more chunk out of my palm mutes.

I play anywhere from acoustic (but I usually use the neck for that), punk, alt., metal, to experimental... you can find some bands I like for examples in my profile. I don't know too much about pickups, which is why I came here. I'm looking for something under $100, and not EMG pickups. any ideas?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Amp? Just to keep us GG&A'ers happy

Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck, would be my recommendation.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by kylepianoman
I'm getting a peavey vypyr 75 watt

I wouldn't get pickups then.

With a modelling/SS amp you don't hear much difference in tone when changing pickups, would be a waste of money at the moment.

Also keep them stock, play your guitar through your amp for a good few months and work out what you would like to tweak about your tone (if you like what you here) and then have a look at pickups then

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the 75w vypyr one of the tube ones?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
ok that sounds right
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Yeah the 15,30,75, and 100 watts are solid state and 60 and 120 tube

EDIT:
Since you guys have pretty much convinced me not to get the pickup... I'm gonna have an extra 50 dollars or so to spend so I can get the 50 dollars off.

I'm already getting some strap locks (the set I have right now are of gargantuan size so I'm taking those back)
and my guitar is pretty much all stock except for strings... any recommendations of gear or accessories I can get if I can't get the effects processor?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Last edited by kylepianoman at Jan 16, 2009,
Well you could buy lots of strings and picks if you can't find anything else you want.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Chrisiphone
I wouldn't get pickups then.

With a modelling/SS amp you don't hear much difference in tone when changing pickups, would be a waste of money at the moment.

Also keep them stock, play your guitar through your amp for a good few months and work out what you would like to tweak about your tone (if you like what you here) and then have a look at pickups then

This is not true. I don't know where people got this idea, but along with "ODs don't work with solid state amps" it's all a complete load of bullshit. If you can explain why this is the case, then maybe I'll not be such a dick about it, but until then, I can only conclude that you are clueless and only rehashing what other people have been saying (in which they are wrong as well). I know where this myth came from, it's from people with ****ty SS practice amps asking about new pickups when the source of bad tone is their amp, except somehow "don't get new pickups if your amp sucks," has turned into "you don't hear much difference between pickups with solid state amps" around here. The former is common sense, the latter is some sort of myth that started out when people started pushing the idea further in some direction that makes zero sense whatsoever.

I have had countless different pickups in my les paul and played through tube amps or solid state amps, they all had different characteristics.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by al112987
This is not true. I don't know where people got this idea, but along with "ODs don't work with solid state amps" it's all a complete load of bullshit. If you can explain why this is the case, then maybe I'll not be such a dick about it, but until then, I can only conclude that you are clueless and only rehashing what other people have been saying (in which they are wrong as well). I know where this myth came from, it's from people with ****ty SS practice amps asking about new pickups when the source of bad tone is their amp, except somehow "don't get new pickups if your amp sucks," has turned into "you don't hear much difference between pickups with solid state amps" around here. The former is common sense, the latter is some sort of myth that started out when people started pushing the idea further in some direction that makes zero sense whatsoever.

I have had countless different pickups in my les paul and played through tube amps or solid state amps, they all had different characteristics.

im guessing a lot of it came from the fact that active pickups are designed to drive tubes into saturation, and a lot of the guys who replace their pickups with ****ty other gear always go "ZAKK WYLDE USES EMGS AND MARSHALL MGS IM GONNA SOUND SO GOOD!!".

back on topic, you could get pickups, but i reccomend keeping the stock ones until you find what you want to change with your sound, as the other person said. i'd get important accessories like extra picks, leads, etc... oh wait, come to think of it, you should get the vypyr footswitch.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The Duncan JB and Jazz combo is completely timeless, and it really would cover almost all styles of music you'd want to play.
Personally though, I preferred the Duncan Distortion or the Duncan Custom as a bridge pickup, but that's just me.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by al112987

uh cause it is true..... some of it.

will EMG`s make a SS amp sound better, YES they will, i have run a EMG 81/85 and a Duncan Blackout through a Line 6 Spider II and a Marshall MG, both had nice improvments over stock pickups.

Will EQ pedal work with SS amps..... Not really, i`ve ran my MXR 108 10 band through the Marshall MG30/MG10KK and a Line 6 spider II, diddn`t make THAT much differents in the tone with those amps. yes a very tiny bit but not like on my JCM900

Will a O/D pedal work with a SS amp, No. in my experiance all a O/D pedal does with a SS amp is make it louder, not more gain like it`s suppost too. maybe some but once again not enuff to go running out to buy a TS9. and boosting the signal in the clean channel on a spider II just makes it so much louder and bad sounding. not like in a real tube amp.

Will a distortion pedal work on a SS amp, YES. IMO distortion pedals are only for SS amps, distortion pedals sound alot better through an SS amp then a Tube amp to me... but they SUCK through the Spider amps. but they have so much distortion anyway so it doesn`t matter.

this is all based off my experiance, everything i`ve said here i`ve done in real life.
Quote by Slayerdeath
uh cause it is true..... some of it.

will EMG`s make a SS amp sound better, YES they will, i have run a EMG 81/85 and a Duncan Blackout through a Line 6 Spider II and a Marshall MG, both had nice improvments over stock pickups.

Will EQ pedal work with SS amps..... Not really, i`ve ran my MXR 108 10 band through the Marshall MG30/MG10KK and a Line 6 spider II, diddn`t make THAT much differents in the tone with those amps. yes a very tiny bit but not like on my JCM900

Will a O/D pedal work with a SS amp, No. in my experiance all a O/D pedal does with a SS amp is make it louder, not more gain like it`s suppost too. maybe some but once again not enuff to go running out to buy a TS9. and boosting the signal in the clean channel on a spider II just makes it so much louder and bad sounding. not like in a real tube amp.

Will a distortion pedal work on a SS amp, YES. IMO distortion pedals are only for SS amps, distortion pedals sound alot better through an SS amp then a Tube amp to me... but they SUCK through the Spider amps. but they have so much distortion anyway so it doesn`t matter.

this is all based off my experiance, everything i`ve said here i`ve done in real life.

Dude...your "real life" examples are a bit limited...before you speak in generalities, you should probably broaden your SS horizons beyond MGs and Spiders.

Sure, EMG's might make a crappy amp sound a little better, but they're designed for tube amps, and there's no question that's what they work best with.

EQs will work with any amps. The two amps you mentioned happened to be modeling amps...try one on an SS amp without a processor, and you might be surprised.

An OD pedal WILL work with an SS amp....not quite the same as with a tube amp, but go do a little research into how these things work. You'd be surprised.

And I think you're absolutely crazy with that last statement. Only for SS amps? Really? I mean, really? Do I even need to say anything else?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Gentlemen, no fighting in the war room!
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
No fighting here, I'd just hate to see someone take such awful advice....

Although this is quite a bit off topic.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.