Page 1 of 8
Hello there my beautiful pit people.

It has recently come to my attention that there is no martial arts thread flying around in the wonderful world of The Pit.
I took the time and effort to make one.

Here, we can discuss everything about it.

If you have any questions, or seek advice, or just wanna talk about it etc. etc. this is the place!

So to start it off, for all you martial artists, what is your current rank and what style are you doing?

I'm personally a 1st Kyu in Shotokan Karate. I'm grading for my Shodan on the 21st of February!
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Muay Thai for 5 years.

Rank?- I punch stuff. I've done a few amateur matches, but it was too hard on my hands, so I chose music over beating people up
I practice by myself because... well mainly because I can't afford the damn lessons and I'm built like a stick.

I practice Aikido by myself when people aren't looking.
hue
i love shotokan. i did it years ago and regret not taking my first dan grade ( long story ) my favorite kata was bassai dai, and i did quite well at the portsmouth nationals. cant find a club near me now i would love to take it up again.
i play rugby. Does that count? Just finished a mach. In a weeks time Ill be a dorset county champion (providing we win)
(-:

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
i play rugby. Does that count? Just finished a mach. In a weeks time Ill be a dorset county champion (providing we win)
(-:

I... I... That...

Quote by bewley
i love shotokan. i did it years ago and regret not taking my first dan grade ( long story ) my favorite kata was bassai dai, and i did quite well at the portsmouth nationals. cant find a club near me now i would love to take it up again.

Bassai Dai is an amazing kata.

My personal favourite is Jion though. (out of all the ones I've learnt so far)

And it's never too late to restart again. As one of the precepts state:

"Karate-do is for life"

Jedit: And Våd, there's nothing wrong with music AND martial arts! XD
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Bassai Dai is an amazing kata.

My personal favourite is Jion though. (out of all the ones I've learnt so far)

And it's never too late to restart again. As one of the precepts state:

"Karate-do is for life"

You can be your own bodyguards
hue
Quote by sock_demon
You can be your own bodyguards

;P
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I never said that and I still practice, I just don't do matches, because they **** up my fingers.
Quote by StealthyHayze
Muy Thai and Ju Jitsu. I recently won the Pewtershmit Pottery Challange where i live.

Troll

I used to practice Capoeira before our club got overthrown by the community over here. Sucks really, capoeira is one of the few martial arts I've really liked.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
i did freestyle martial arts for years and got to black belt, but then i got a bit bored of it and didnt really have the time so i gave it up. wish i hadnt though, but now the club has moved somewhere so i just goto the gym instead.
Ummmm same Shotokan and red belt not sure on what kyu it is. I'm real professional are'nt I? :P

EDIT : I meant it sarcastically As in me not knowing what kyu it was.
PSN: Pancakehead3

Add me and say you're from UG
Last edited by Pancakehead at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by vampt
Troll

I used to practice Capoeira before our club got overthrown by the community over here. Sucks really, capoeira is one of the few martial arts I've really liked.

nah, just really high on painkillers right now. I had 3 tylenol 3's
rl]
Quote by Pancakehead
Ummmm same Shotokan and red belt not sure on what kyu it is. I'm real professional are'nt I? :P

You're not pro unless you can shoryu-ken someone.
hue
Quote by Pancakehead

7th ;P

Quote by Våd Hamster
I never said that and I still practice, I just don't do matches, because they **** up my fingers.

Yeah I crumbled my knuckle like 2 weeks ago.

I love it though.
Carmel is hawt
I don't do martial arts at the moment, but I will hopefully be getting into BJJ at some point. Right now I'm focusing on Krav Maga and I've only been at it for close to 5 months. I have improved a lot, but I still manage to mess up in really comedic ways from time to time. I think it's some mysterious force reminding me that I still have a long way to go.

EDIT: Still on with Krav and also started BJJ today. It was a lot of fun.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by terrencemaddox
I don't do martial arts at the moment, but I will hopefully be getting into BJJ at some point. Right now I'm focusing on Krav Maga and I've only been at it for close to 5 months. I have improved a lot, but I still manage to mess up in really comedic ways from time to time. I think it's some mysterious force reminding me that I still have a long way to go.

You still have a long way to go, young grasshopper. ;P
Carmel is hawt
I practiced lima lama for 3 years, the fights can get really br00tal, the only thing I wasn't allowed to do was pull hair, pick eyes, and obiously don't break bones and stuff.
Still in a fight I got a reversed kick to my low back, I was unable to do any psysical stuff for an entire year Im thinking in retaking it in some time.
The gym was really scary, broken windows, cracked walls and stuff
Quote by Zaio
I practiced lima lama for 3 years, the fights can get really br00tal, the only thing I wasn't allowed to do was pull hair, pick eyes, and obiously don't break bones and stuff.
Still in a fight I got a reversed kick to my low back, I was unable to do any psysical stuff for an entire year Im thinking in retaking it in some time.
The gym was really scary, broken windows, cracked walls and stuff

Brootal.

We have to learn to control our attacks in the Dojo.
In the street however, we can punch and kick as hard as we want.
Carmel is hawt
I've been doing several Martial Art's throughout my life, I've done Karate, Boxing (If that counts), Kendo and Wing Chun. Wing Chun was the one that I attended for the longest amount of time but I was forced to postpone it because of exam's, and I never had the motivation to return unfortunately. I've been gradually building myself back up again, and have been studying Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, through his many writings. Like him I have never really believed in rank or style, only what works.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
I'll be taking some lessons in some sort of martial art starting in the summer. I would just like to be able to hold my own in a fight if I ever get in one, or if I had to protect someone. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'm thinking muay thai could be fun.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by ACG
I'll be taking some lessons in some sort of martial art starting in the summer. I would just like to be able to hold my own in a fight if I ever get in one, or if I had to protect someone. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'm thinking muay thai could be fun.

Street fights can be nipped in the bud quite quickly, as soon as someone gets in you're face the safest and most effective thing you can do is finger jab to the eyes, or aim for the groin.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
Street fights can be nipped in the bud quite quickly, as soon as someone gets in you're face the safest and most effective thing you can do is finger jab to the eyes, or aim for the groin.

Hm, yea I guess so. The other thing though is that I like pushing myself, and teaching my body new things. It's like that quote that I'll try to remember (horribly): "What a shame it is, to live life and not learn the full potential of your body." So that's another reason I want to learn a martial art. Y'think muay thai would be good?
Quote by ACG
Hm, yea I guess so. The other thing though is that I like pushing myself, and teaching my body new things. It's like that quote that I'll try to remember (horribly): "What a shame it is, to live life and not learn the full potential of your body." So that's another reason I want to learn a martial art. Y'think muay thai would be good?

Of course, Martial Arts is a not only great for self defense, it's great for fitness, and it can definitely increase your confidence. And of course not all street fights can be ended so quickly, there could come a time when you and the aggressor are both in a ready position and are in a "stand off", so to speak, that is when Martial Arts is most beneficial, in terms of self defense. I think Muay Thai should be good, as long as you're training to make punching, kicking second nature, and working on proper technique, increasing reflexes etc. But remember when it comes to self defense use what works, the flashiest attack is often the most telegraphed.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Yup that's what I would absolutely love to do (make punching and kicking second nature, working on technique and whatnot). I've never had any fighting experience before and I just think it's about time I did something about that. If I took Muay Thai, do you think there'd be any need for me taking boxing lessons as well? I've been wanting to take those for a long time too, but I think Muay Thai is closer to the top of my list than boxing.
Quote by ACG
Yup that's what I would absolutely love to do (make punching and kicking second nature, working on technique and whatnot). I've never had any fighting experience before and I just think it's about time I did something about that. If I took Muay Thai, do you think there'd be any need for me taking boxing lessons as well? I've been wanting to take those for a long time too, but I think Muay Thai is closer to the top of my list than boxing.

Would it be possible for you to take both? There's nothing I can advise more for making punches second nature, than Boxing, it's also very good for reflexes, footwork, dodging etc. However as you can tell it's rather limited, Boxing only really tells you how to use your hands, which is a very small portion of your tools, Muay Thai would allow you to become more proficient with your other tools. It's really about what you want to achieve, Boxing is probably enough for street defense, as your hand's are the safest form of attack, as it doesn't throw you off balance, and you can always use your rear hand for covering yourself while your punch is thrown out, however if you want to be a more complete fighter I advise doing both.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
Would it be possible for you to take both? There's nothing I can advise more for making punches second nature, than Boxing, it's also very good for reflexes, footwork, dodging etc. However as you can tell it's rather limited, Boxing only really tells you how to use your hands, which is a very small portion of your tools, Muay Thai would allow you to become more proficient with your other tools. It's really about what you want to achieve, Boxing is probably enough for street defense, as your hand's are the safest form of attack, as it doesn't throw you off balance, and you can always use your rear hand for covering yourself while your punch is thrown out, however if you want to be a more complete fighter I advise doing both.

Ground fighting is also something I would advise. I don't know if you agree, butI think having at least some basic skills for ground defense is something every fighter should have.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by COBGage

I guess it would just depend on the moneys. I'm sure boxing lessons would be quite expensive, and I'm not sure about Muay Thai. But definitely I'd love to do both. Would doing them at the same time really wear me out? Time is also an issue, because I will be super busy next September (with school and whatnot), so I want to try to squeeze in as much as I can in the summer (4 months long). But then again I'm sure I'd have to take Muay Thai for more than just one summer to become anywhere near okay at it. Are the lessons usually once a week?

btw sorry for all these questions, but thanks a ton for actually answering em
Quote by terrencemaddox
Ground fighting is also something I would advise. I don't know if you agree, butI think having at least some basic skills for ground defense is something every fighter should have.

It's not something I have much experience with I'm afraid, as far as I'm aware it's very, very effective for controlled fighting situations, I believe that it's a very important aspect of the "complete" fighter. However it is something that I personally would never use in a street fighting situation because of my lack of experience in that field, but also because in that situation I would consider it very unsafe, you could very well take someone to the ground and proceed to choke them out, however it also leaves you very vulnerable, his buddies could be close by, and might decide to kick you while your down. Again this is just my opinion, I would be scared to use it in a street situation.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
It's not something I have much experience with I'm afraid, as far as I'm aware it's very, very effective for controlled fighting situations, I believe that it's a very important aspect of the "complete" fighter. However it is something that I personally would never use in a street fighting situation because of my lack of experience in that field, but also because in that situation I would consider it very unsafe, you could very well take someone to the ground and proceed to choke them out, however it also leaves you very vulnerable, his buddies could be close by, and might decide to kick you while your down. Again this is just my opinion, I would be scared to use it in a street situation.

Gotcha. I'm still slowly learning, but from what I can tell it seems like a good skill to have. I agree though, it seems like there's always a good chance your attacker might have fellow morons standing by to help them out. One of the reasons I like Krav Maga is that it deals a lot with multiple attacker situations, but taking the fight to the ground is kind of tricky in that situation I suppose. I guess it's just a matter of learning and figuring out what works best on an individual basis.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by ACG
I guess it would just depend on the moneys. I'm sure boxing lessons would be quite expensive, and I'm not sure about Muay Thai. But definitely I'd love to do both. Would doing them at the same time really wear me out? Time is also an issue, because I will be super busy next September (with school and whatnot), so I want to try to squeeze in as much as I can in the summer (4 months long). But then again I'm sure I'd have to take Muay Thai for more than just one summer to become anywhere near okay at it. Are the lessons usually once a week?

btw sorry for all these questions, but thanks a ton for actually answering em

Oh yeah at first you're gonna be really tired, but you'll get used it. If it's not possible to do both then it's just a case of what you want to get out of your hard work. Would you rather focus your time on controlled punching, and footwork with Boxing? Or would you rather balance your training, working on punching, kicking, elbows, knee's etc.? If it's a small time frame that you are working with, then I advise Boxing, as it's more focused, and you'll probably get the most out of your time.

I advise you do some research also, I'm not sure if it's the same over where you are, but many time's have I joined a club it's really nothing more than a children's club, where you see 8 year old black belts. Although I doubt you would get this problem with Boxing and Muay Thai. None the less I advise you to research, and I seriously advise joining a club that participates in sparring, it's fundamental IMO, it's combat, against a real thinking, moving opponent, it's very valuable experience.

When it comes to frequency of lessons, I found it's usually twice a week, it really depends though. Don't worry about the questions, I'm more than happy to share my experience.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Quote by terrencemaddox
Gotcha. I'm still slowly learning, but from what I can tell it seems like a good skill to have. I agree though, it seems like there's always a good chance your attacker might have fellow morons standing by to help them out. One of the reasons I like Krav Maga is that it deals a lot with multiple attacker situations, but taking the fight to the ground is kind of tricky in that situation I suppose. I guess it's just a matter of learning and figuring out what works best on an individual basis.

Oh yeah ground fighting is actually something I'm rather scared of, it's very difficult to counter when you have little experience with it, I know if I got taken to the ground by a ground fighter, I'd be pretty much fucked, I would probably resort to biting, but even still there are some situations where even that won't work. It's a very good skill to have.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
I once did tae kwon do but now i only train by myself, Some wrestling, kicks, punches, basic combos and parrys and throws, and me and my friend knife spar all the time.
We use nunchaku and bo staff and always practice a little bit of agility walking on our hands and stuff, street spar, and do hand springs and try some par core.
Just about anything physically demanding and includes fighting we do.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by COBGage
Oh yeah at first you're gonna be really tired, but you'll get used it. If it's not possible to do both then it's just a case of what you want to get out of your hard work. Would you rather focus your time on controlled punching, and footwork with Boxing? Or would you rather balance your training, working on punching, kicking, elbows, knee's etc.? If it's a small time frame that you are working with, then I advise Boxing, as it's more focused, and you'll probably get the most out of your time.

I advise you do some research also, I'm not sure if it's the same over where you are, but many time's have I joined a club it's really nothing more than a children's club, where you see 8 year old black belts. Although I doubt you would get this problem with Boxing and Muay Thai. None the less I advise you to research, and I seriously advise joining a club that participates in sparring, it's fundamental IMO, it's combat, against a real thinking, moving opponent, it's very valuable experience.

When it comes to frequency of lessons, I found it's usually twice a week, it really depends though. Don't worry about the questions, I'm more than happy to share my experience.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and fit both in, and probably try to arrange my schedule so that I can be doing Muay Thai throughout school as well. It sucks that I didn't get a chance to do these things when I was younger.. it's just so hard now to fit everything in when I want to do so much haha. Thanks again.
I used to do capoeira and brazilian jiu-jitsu....then I became lazy after I moved....I should start back one day.
Quote by rock.freak667
I used to do capoeira and brazilian jiu-jitsu....then I became lazy after I moved....I should start back one day.

Do it goddamnit!
Carmel is hawt