Page 1 of 2
Hey, my name's Teun, I'm 14 years old and I'm from Holland.
I am guitarist/ vocalist( screams and grunts - anything but cleans, which I'm currently having singing lessons for.) for our metalband.
Atleast, it was supposed to be a metalband.

I met some lads that said they liked metal. So we jammed, yesterday for the first time together

the drummer doesn't like metal, only likes RHCP and funk
the bass player likes slipknot ONLY
the other guitar guy likes a7x, slipknot and linkin park
and the solo guitar guy likes 30stm, bfmv and a7x.

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE YOUNG BROTHERS OF METAL?!?!
I've been a metalhead since I was 8( My favourite bands are Nile, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, Slayer, Death, Lamb of God and Gorgoroth - and not 'cause they look br00tal, but because I like them and I love their shows)

All of the 'band members' thought they were 'true metalzzz' , but none of them actually likes metal. Well, slipknot's metal, but more popmetal..

Please tell me why no-one on this whole planet under the age of 20 knows what metal is..
you just seem to live in a place where metal doesnt have a young following, or no following at all. There are plenty of kiddies who like real metal, u just dont seem to know any of em.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by LordPino

I've been a metalhead since I was 8

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by rebeltildeth87
you just seem to live in a place where metal doesnt have a young following, or no following at all. There are plenty of kiddies who like real metal, u just dont seem to know any of em.

How hard is it to start a metal band? I'd say I'm quite talented and I really want to make it. But the only fans here can't play an instrument, or they are posers that buy Ibanezzes so they can do dive-bombs..

Quote by duncang
Enjoy it while it lasts.

That'll last for quite a while.
Depends what you think metal is...

Bullet and A7X? Those are pretty metal...more melodic than Slayer etc admittedly, but metal nonetheless.

And I've been listening to 'metal' for years now (im 17 btw) there are young metal fans everywhere. I mean look at Black Tide, their singer is 18!
it can be hard man, especially when you dont have anyone to help. you can try searching the internet for locals who like metal. Dont sweat it to hard man, your only 14 and have alot of time for making a band and all. I am having a difficult time getting people to jam with. So I said fuck it and got drum software for christmas and now im a 1 dude death metal machine until I find other people.

EDIT:

Quote by Jackson Boy 666

Bullet and A7X? Those are pretty metal...more melodic than Slayer etc admittedly, but metal nonetheless.

no
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by Jackson Boy 666

And I've been listening to 'metal' for years now (im 17 btw) there are young metal fans everywhere. I mean look at Black Tide, their singer is 18!

Bullet is metalcore.
A7x is hardrock, maybe metalcore in their earlier work. But certainly not metal.
There is metalcore that is more metal, like Lamb of God, but they really are wannabe metalheads..

EDIT: The wannabe part's about the poser metalheads, not about LoG
Last edited by LordPino at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by LordPino
How hard is it to start a metal band? I'd say I'm quite talented and I really want to make it. But the only fans here can't play an instrument, or they are posers that buy Ibanezzes so they can do dive-bombs..

Depends where you live and just whether your lucky to have lots of likeminded people about. I know a fair amount of people into metal but not the kind of metal im into which sucks a bit

Also, i resent the comment about Ibanez
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
Depends where you live and just whether your lucky to have lots of likeminded people about. I know a fair amount of people into metal but not the kind of metal im into which sucks a bit

I like Ibanezzes ( or whatever be the spelling like), but he just bought one because he wanted to do divebombs like Syn Gates, because 'he just is the best guitarist evaah'..
Quote by chimpinatux

+1

The guitarist in my band uses one and its an RG that doesn't even have a whammy bar, or effects... just pure distortion.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Time out, first off A7X and Bullet are not metal...A7X use to be metalcore, but that's just about it, ever since signing with Warner bros they suck...and bullet should not be playing....But I feel the same way too...everyone listens to metal over here and when you try to start a band it fails miserably cause they only listen to metal not play...The Faceless is metal, likewise with Necrpophgist...listen to them not the pussy "metal" Slayer, death, at the gates are chill
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
I'm in the exact same situation man. I'm trying to get a progressive deathcore/death metal band going where i'm living but pretty much everyone that plays an instrument is a hardcore wannabe. Just wait it out and you'll find someone.
It's just Ibanez

But, that reason sounds ridiculous. But, honestly, deal with it. I know maybe 3 guys that listen to metal other than I in my town.

Also, i'm under 20...so are a few regulars here in the metal forum...I highly doubt you know more about metal than they do.
Quote by metalisbest
+1

The guitarist in my band uses one and its an RG that doesn't even have a whammy bar, or effects... just pure distortion.

I arrived at the jam session with my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ex EMG( EMG 81 / 85 combo. Tuned to standard C.) which I had bought a few weeks ago. Ready to rock.
When the guitar guy started playing All These Things by BFMV. He said I love this song it makes me so emotional. Me and my girlfriend always cry when we hear it.

That sucked.
That's what's great about having friends with instruments.
None of my friends are into metal, but we still play metal songs.
Then we play pop-punk songs.
Compromise.
Quote by dminishedthingy
That's what's great about having friends with instruments.
None of my friends are into metal, but we still play metal songs.
Then we play pop-punk songs.
Compromise.

The problem is, my metalbrothers can't play and don't want to play, and the 'band' claims poppunk to BE metal..
Quote by dminishedthingy
Nobody claims pop-punk to be metal.

The drummer said Sum 41 HAD to be metal because the singer did one scream in a live show.
This is when I FINALLY agreed with Slipknot;
ALL HOPE IS GONE.

EDIT: I mean it, he claimed that.
Last edited by LordPino at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by LordPino
The drummer said Sum 41 HAD to be metal because the singer did one scream in a live show.
This is when I FINALLY agreed with Slipknot;
ALL HOPE IS GONE.

EDIT: I mean it, he claimed that.

Why do you need metal listeners to be in your band is all I'm asking.
I write pretty much all of my band's stuff (which ranges from metal to pop-punk) so if my friends are proficient enough they can play metal songs with me.
Quote by dminishedthingy
Why do you need metal listeners to be in your band is all I'm asking.
I write pretty much all of my band's stuff (which ranges from metal to pop-punk) so if my friends are proficient enough they can play metal songs with me.

I don't want to be the one that writes ALL the metal riffs, ALL the lyrics and ALL the music. If I wanted that I'd start a solo project. The problem is
A7x freak #1 SUCKS at guitar
a7x freak / bfmv / Linkin park has only been playing for a month, but is quite good already, and is making progress really fast. He likes some metal( Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom) now, and I'm trying to get him to the side of good metal.
you my friend are a youngster and maybe nobody likes the same bands you do because you listen to lame people who had no friends so they decided they'd waste their time making garbage music
Quote by KeeF23
you my friend are a youngster and maybe nobody likes the same bands you do because you listen to lame people who had no friends so they decided they'd waste their time making garbage music

surely your arent implying his listed bands are garbage?

if I have to play Greenday to get to play my songs I will, but I dont see how you can make a death metal band with 3 of the 4 members into pop-punk. Its hard enough to keep a band going with 4 guys who are into metal.
Quote by KeeF23

Why are you here?

Man, I wish I could compromise with my friends like that. They would never agree to play metal simply because it would take them 10 times longer to learn my songs than it would to learn their own indie stuff.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○
All you need to do is to look around a bit and have a little bit of luck. I myself have had quite a number of friends into proper metal and classic rock, I live in the Netherlands too, and I'm 18 years old, while I've know these people since I was 14. I founded a band with 2 friends too and we play a bunch of different stuff, from Thrash to Death, from Black to Technical, it's about letting go of the stubborness you seem to possess and just have fun.

Honestly, you need to 'let go' of your favorite bands if you want to be in a band. I'm a huge Cynic fan, while my fellow bandmembers think it's rubbish, my bassist likes weird atonal bands, my drummer only seems to listen to weird classic rock lately and my lead guitarist still worships Iron Maiden. But as soon as we walk into our rehearsal room, it's not about what band is true or brutal or which sould have more influence.

Have fun, make music, not rules. And who cares if you're not gonna be a metal band for a while? The first band I played in was a pop-cover band too. Besides, sorry to be rude, but at that age, nobody is going to take you seriously and everybody will give you respect for being 14, rather than making good music.

Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
Quote by rebeltildeth87
surely your arent implying his listed bands are garbage?

if I have to play Greenday to get to play my songs I will, but I dont see how you can make a death metal band with 3 of the 4 members into pop-punk. Its hard enough to keep a band going with 4 guys who are into metal.

Not as hard as it sounds.
My drummer can't do crazy blasts or anything, so I work around it.
Anyone can play a death metal riff if you teach it to them.
well we definately know different people then lol
that's pretty normal for kids in my area actually. When I came on here I was surprised to find that some many younger kids were into the stuff I was just getting into like a year ago. I didn't even start listening to metal extensively until I was..17 or 18.

I will always add, I play bass in a ska band, I haven't listened to ska regularly since grade 10, but:

1. it's fun to play bass in a ska band
2. Only one person currently in the band loves ska, the rest either listen to it sometimes, or don't even like it (our drummer hates all rock music, and listens to Drum and bass, etc.)

But somehow it works for us, we bring our different preferences to the table, even though the overall sound is ska, I'd like to thing we have a little something extra as well.
Last edited by technicolour at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by Jackson Boy 666

And they're also astoundingly bad. Black Tide was a horrible example, not only are they awful, but their age isn't that impressive, a lot of early extreme metal bands were formed when the members were only teens.

EDIT: MetalNick has the right idea.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Last edited by MetalMessiah665 at Jan 16, 2009,
In a couple of months, THEN you can say that noone under the age of 20 knows real metal. Cos I'm still 19.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Really? I always thought he was like 12 .
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I love how so many thread turn into an argument debating wither or not metalcore bands are considered metal.

I think in your situation...you gota show them the real metal. Metalcore is what got me into real metal. I rocked all that remains and killswitch for a bit then moved to real metal. It just takes time till people go through their metalcore phase.
40? Wow....

I pray to Satan I'm not doing the same thing when I'm 40
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by LordPino
Hey, my name's Teun, I'm 14 years old and I'm from Holland.
I am guitarist/ vocalist( screams and grunts - anything but cleans, which I'm currently having singing lessons for.) for our metalband.
Atleast, it was supposed to be a metalband.

I met some lads that said they liked metal. So we jammed, yesterday for the first time together

the drummer doesn't like metal, only likes RHCP and funk
the bass player likes slipknot ONLY
the other guitar guy likes a7x, slipknot and linkin park
and the solo guitar guy likes 30stm, bfmv and a7x.

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE YOUNG BROTHERS OF METAL?!?!
I've been a metalhead since I was 8( My favourite bands are Nile, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, Slayer, Death, Lamb of God and Gorgoroth - and not 'cause they look br00tal, but because I like them and I love their shows)

All of the 'band members' thought they were 'true metalzzz' , but none of them actually likes metal. Well, slipknot's metal, but more popmetal..

Please tell me why no-one on this whole planet under the age of 20 knows what metal is..

Man, I am with you.
I had a 'band' in which only one of the members liked metal, we wrote one song, then the bassist wanted to do 'normal' music, and covered 'Mr Brightside'.
Go ****ing figure.
Then there's everyone at school who calls you 'emo' like because you like true death metal and black metal, but reckon that the guy who likes Slapknut and Mudvayne is 'hardcore'.
I give up.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
Quote by fowles06
I love how so many thread turn into an argument debating wither or not metalcore bands are considered metal.

I think in your situation...you gota show them the real metal. Metalcore is what got me into real metal. I rocked all that remains and killswitch for a bit then moved to real metal. It just takes time till people go through their metalcore phase.

My first metal band was In Flames. I was at my friends house and he put on The Jester Race. I fell in love with melodic death metal.
Aaah, give it time man. Eventually you'll find folks to jam with - not many people get lucky the first time round. If you keep looking you'll find people around your age to jam some good metal with. I suppose you could always try turn some of your peers onto some good metal? Maybe they just haven't been exposed to the right stuff yet? You'd be surprised by how many people can appreciate the genre, but simply haven't been exposed to it.

I consider myself lucky that I was exposed to good metal at a (relatively) young age by some older friends.
Page 1 of 2