The options are...

Ibanez K5
BC Rich Mockingbird Heritage Bass
MIM Standard Fender Jazz or Precision
Different bass.
New Amp

I currently have a practise amp and a squier deluxe jazz, I dont really have much use for my own combo amp ATM because most of the places I'm likely to gig have house amps and PAs. I happy with this set up but by the time I've got the money it'll be time for an upgrade.

EDIT: Budget £300 - £500, I play metal, blues and punk. I have a more active playing style than most bassists in those genres though (to make up for an awful guitarist)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jan 16, 2009,
Do you have a budget? Preferred style of playing? Something specific you're looking for? Favorite bands? All of these can help us help you.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Fender jazz.

what I would say. or the Precision. but I always like busy basslines when there is that jazz growl. just me though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Oh, make me look like a fool, why don't you... lol.

Anyways, I believe the Jazz is very flexible and will fit with any of the genres of music you listed. The P is considered the standard for punk, and it thumps more. I've never played the K5, but it's supposed to be really good. BC Rich? It's a preference thing. I don't much like them. My suggestion? Look at a better amp. Squier deluxes are fairly solid basses, but you could use a good 200-300 watt combo amp in case wherever you're playing doesn't have a house amp. Especially if you're trying to make up for a bad guitarist.

tl;dr: New amp. Look at Ashdown, Acoustic, and used combos to find the most bang for your buck.

Either way, getting new stuff is the most fun feeling I've ever had, so good luck!
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
Oh, make me look like a fool, why don't you... lol.

Anyways, I believe the Jazz is very flexible and will fit with any of the genres of music you listed. The P is considered the standard for punk, and it thumps more. I've never played the K5, but it's supposed to be really good. BC Rich? It's a preference thing. I don't much like them. My suggestion? Look at a better amp. Squier deluxes are fairly solid basses, but you could use a good 200-300 watt combo amp in case wherever you're playing doesn't have a house amp. Especially if you're trying to make up for a bad guitarist.

tl;dr: New amp. Look at Ashdown, Acoustic, and used combos to find the most bang for your buck.

Either way, getting new stuff is the most fun feeling I've ever had, so good luck!

go jam some more.

seriously, writing the perfect song is way more fun.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
go jam some more.

seriously, writing the perfect song is way more fun.

Ok, I'll give you that. But the guys I jam with are horrible at getting together, so I guess I don't do as much as i should. I still stand with my statement that TS should get a better amp.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
Ok, I'll give you that. But the guys I jam with are horrible at getting together, so I guess I don't do as much as i should. I still stand with my statement that TS should get a better amp.

true.

but, I will say this- get new jam buddies.

get a new band. I'm dead serious.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Just go try stuff see whats suit you best, what i like you might not. Too me that seems a very wide spectrum. The Bc to the fender. Do you have an idea of what you want.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Personally id go with one of the Fenders - they have a tendency of having an edge over other low-mid grade basses. BC Rich's are total crap unless you want to put an investment in, lol.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
My advice is, dont get the k5. It is an awfully overpriced bass. I've played one and honestly, if you like that, just get an SR500 or SR505/506. I really dont see that much of a difference, youre just paying for the fieldy name. And that's not exactly a name many people would see as worth spending more money on...
Quote by fatgoogle
Just go try stuff see whats suit you best, what i like you might not. Too me that seems a very wide spectrum. The Bc to the fender. Do you have an idea of what you want.

My only real utter requirement, something that I absolutely need, is reliabilty. When my bass breaks I feel like dying.
What I was wanting was comment on the basses or maybe reasons I should go for my own amp.
Quote by Anti-bucket
My advice is, dont get the k5. It is an awfully overpriced bass. I've played one and honestly, if you like that, just get an SR500 or SR505/506. I really dont see that much of a difference, youre just paying for the fieldy name. And that's not exactly a name many people would see as worth spending more money on...

I'm certainly not going for the Feildy tone...

*resists flaming so hard nearly craps pants*
Well i would get the jazz, its my favourite, well im hard pressed between a MIA precision which i love. but really go play them and make your own decision. I reckon this is just a case of gas. You said your saving. You save if you need something. You make a thread about gear that you want to get because your suffering from GAS!!!!!!!!!!!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Spaz91
I'm certainly not going for the Feildy tone...

*resists flaming so hard nearly craps pants*

I'm not sure if youre being saracstic or not there. But surely you dont want exactly the same tone as his. If similar, surely you want to make it your own? You can still get the "fieldy" tone from the SR505, if thats what you really want. It's basically the exact same bass, with a different colour, very slightly different specs, and about £200 cheaper. You'd be insane to pay essentially an extra $200 dollars for a bass that is practically the same as the cheaper version but with someone elses name on it. Save the 200 and save up for a good amp or an eq pedal or something, either of which will you get you closer to whatever tone you want combined with the SR bass than the K5 will alone.
Your actually looking at a decent bc rich most people talk about the crappy warlock cause it looks like a midevil torture tool, even tho its the onlt warlock its actually good quality. The ibanez isn't that great IMO. i won't state my opinion on the fender cause personally i can't justify them but thast just me. But yah i think a bigger amp would suit u better cause i'm sure ur bass is a decent instrument atm and a good acoustic combo or even cheap halfstack could do wonders for u in the tone department
Keep On Keepen' On
The first step is admitting it. there there....
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul