Hello all
My missus bought me a rather nice Jasmine (by Takamine ) TC48MC electro classical acoustic for xmas and its brilliant to play,with an awesome sound but i feel the strings on it currently (generic brand) arent doing it enough justice,so im looking for advice as for some decent strings.
Ive been playing for a number of years now but my knowledge of strings only covers steel strung acoustics and electric guitars, the very first guitar i owned was a classical acoustic from Argos but i always used the cheapest strings on that as i was young and didnt know any better.

I wont be using this guitar to play actual classical or flamenco style music,it will mainly be used for Counting Crows (ish) music.

Any help would be great
Cheers
Last edited by jaccob at Jan 16, 2009,
Nobody can really tell you which strings are best -- only what we like. I like martins, and decided that after trying out a lot of different strings -- but that's also on my guitar right now. If I were to buy a new guitar, it might be different -- and I still try new ones out from time to time just to be sure. Best advice is to try different brands and keep in mind what you're looking for.

oh -- I'll bet if you call Takamine, they'll tell you what brand the put on their jasmine line and you can avoid that brand if you don't like it.
Cheers for the reply,as you said i shouldnt of really asked what the best strings were,as everyone is different, i just want opinions on strings that other people have used....
I have heard good things about Martins strings and Ernie Ball Ernesto Palla so those two are the front runners at the moment.

As for ringing Takamine,its a good idea but my guitar was released in 1994 so i cant really see them using the same brand of strings 15 years later.
Well like Milagroso said, everyone has their preference. I really do enjoy Elixirs though, sometimes since I'm broke all the time it's hard to get them though. They run about 12-15 dollars a set, but they have outlasted all the other types of strings I use.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
You know I missed that your guitar has nylon strings -- in that case, I like La Bella strings -- they are a bit expensive, but I don't mind paying since classical strings last so long. Also, for classical guitar, it's important to know the scale length of your instrument. If you have a longer scale you'll want normal tension strings. If you have a shorter scale, you'll want higher tension.

Good luck!!!
The scale length of my guitar is around 26 inches,so i guess i should go for the normal tension strings? and thanks for the tip on La Bellas,ive already found some online prices of £6 ($12).
^ all of those elixirs are for steel string guitars -- I'm not sure if elixir makes nylon strings or not. It's a quality brand though.

yep -- the normal tensions are for you!! awesome!! you're halfway there!
Last edited by milagroso at Jan 16, 2009,
Oh I didn't realize he was using nylon. I'm not familiar with any brands of nylon strings.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
Cheers mate,its weird with that site as it clearly says "Elixir Classical Nylon Guitar Strings" on that page and also in the address bar,i could sue them for false advertising
Thanks for the heads up.
Quote by Zappanator
Oh I didn't realize he was using nylon. I'm not familiar with any brands of nylon strings.

Sorry mate i should of made that clearer in my first post, ive been playing for nearly 15 years now so i know all about which strings i like for my steel string acoustics (GHS and Ernie Ball )and i use GHS Boomer 10s on my electric guitars.

I just didnt havent a clue when it came to nylon strings.