I have a gibson les paul standard and every time I put new strings on, it always takes a day or two for it to be dependable enough to play in tune because it slips out of tune so easily with new strings. With the new strings, all I have to do is bend the high B or E and they fall a good quarter step out of tune in one bend. I use Ernie Ball 10's, but even with other strings (or other guitars!) I tend to have the same problem. Is there a way to circumvent this problem?
You should probably stretch the strings.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
You own a LP Standard, but you don't know about stretching strings?
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Typically I would pass this by and allow someone else to come along and rip you a new one. But I'm just in that kinda mood today

Every time you change your strings, you're supposed to stretch them after. You change them one at a time, then you put your finger on the twelfth fret and bend the string up and down a few times. Then tune it back to whatever it's supposed to be [depending on your tuning]. Keep doing this and you'll notice that when you stretch it, the more you do so, the less it drops out of tune. Once the drop is barely noticeable, tune it back to perfect pitch then proceed to change the next string. Any beginner's DVD or instruction manual will tell you that. If you have a guitar cord, try choking yourself right about now =/
It happens with all strings at every string change, get used to it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Stretch them before they are new theyre gonna take some time like you said to stretch out but once they do youll be fine.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Stretch them before they are new theyre gonna take some time like you said to stretch out but once they do youll be fine.

Racer X kicks ass, btw.
Im sorry, you have an LP and you don't know about stretching in? seriously dude...
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Racer X kicks ass, btw.

Thank you I love that band so much bruce and paul FTW!

Anyway yeah TS like I said the most you can do is stretch them before and after you restring but they are still gonna stretch so your gonna have to tune them a few times afterward.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Rave765
Hell yes to Racer X!

Will you have my babies?

Seriously though, I've spent the last few days learning their rendition of Godzilla from the Snowball of Doom DVD. The solos are better live and the bass interlude is just beyond kickass.
I'd really love to learn their stuff but I've only been playing around 9 months now and it's way too advanced for me. Good stuff though
Quote by Rave765
Uh, what song is that exactly? lol

In the video? Etude. I may be mistaken, but I believe it's an adaptation from Chopin. It's a hidden track on DSG's debut album, Ashes to Ashes.
Well for all of those who have been busting on me about string stretching, wouldn't you happen to know that I already do that. I always figured that was the right way to go about it, but I didn't realize how that doing so enough would solve the problem completely.
Quote by gobalswg
Well for all of those who have been busting on me about string stretching, wouldn't you happen to know that I already do that. I always figured that was the right way to go about it, but I didn't realize how that doing so enough would solve the problem completely.

If you'd have mentioned that before, this problem wouldn't have arisen in the first place =D