When I bought my s320, it was said to be impossible to stick a 24 fret neck on the sabre body.

With the S5470 I see that was not true.

So I ask:

Can you stick a s5470 24 fret wizard prestige neck onto a s320 body?

And if that's the case...

would a Wizard I neck fit from say...a rg550 (or better yet, a s570)?

(dream neck is a maple fretboard wizard 1 on an s-series body. If only the old maple fretboard wizard I sabre necks were easy to find... )
Last edited by rlheart at Jan 16, 2009,
i doubt it, 24 fret necks are longer than 22 fret necks (duh) and that would ruin your scale lenght wihch in turn would screw up your intonation and everything. You could theoreticaly move the neck pickup further back to make room for the two aditional frets, so the guitar would remain the same scale lenght, but that would require a lot of routing, refinishing and rewireing.
But i suggest you consoult someone who actualy has experience on this kind of stuff.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
from ibanez site:

s320 (what I have):
Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
Width at Nut 43mm
Width Last Fret 56mm
Thickness 1st Fret 19mm
Thickness 12th Fret 21mm
Radius 400mm

S5470
Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
a: Width at Nut 43mm
b: Width Last Fret 58mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 18mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 20mm
Radius 430mm

oh,
and for the hell of it,

here's the specs of an RG1570 wizard Prestige neck:

Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
a: Width at Nut 43mm
b: Width Last Fret 58mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 18mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 20mm
Radius 430mm

also:
WIZARD Neck Dimensions
Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
Width At Nut: 43mm
Width At Last Fret: 56mm
Thickness At 1st Fret: 18mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 20mm
Radius: 430

The neck on the 320 is 22 fret, on the 5470, it's 24 fret.

Why is it that these would not be interchangable on a s series body?
They are all the same scale and length!
Last edited by rlheart at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by gorkyporky
i doubt it, 24 fret necks are longer than 22 fret necks (duh) and that would ruin your scale lenght wihch in turn would screw up your intonation and everything. You could theoreticaly move the neck pickup further back to make room for the two aditional frets, so the guitar would remain the same scale lenght, but that would require a lot of routing, refinishing and rewireing.
But i suggest you consoult someone who actualy has experience on this kind of stuff.

Wouldn't **** the scale length, 23 and 24 are overhang. Neck pup might get in the way though.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Wouldn't **** the scale length, 23 and 24 are overhang. Neck pup might get in the way though.

so the real problem isn't that a rg wizard neck wouldn't fit, it's just that it'd clash with the neck pickup correct?

thanks for the response btw
That seems correct, as long as the neck pockets are the same (which is very likely). How much room is there between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup? I'd go to a guitar shop and measure the length of the overhang on the 24 fret wizards and see if it'd fit.
Quote by supergerbil
That seems correct, as long as the neck pockets are the same (which is very likely). How much room is there between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup? I'd go to a guitar shop and measure the length of the overhang on the 24 fret wizards and see if it'd fit.

Ok, i'm gonna do that then.

Also,

to everyone:

Thanks for the advice.

It's nice to get something reasonable for a change other that just a straight up "no it won't work" without a reason why
Widths are different at the neck pocket. Unless the 58mm width is included in overhang, you may have to alter the neck pocket slightly. Not much though, and it might be a good fit.