Well i've got like $500 ( i can save spend up to around $600 for the bass, amp, and a pedal or two) or so and i wondering if this would be a good set up

this bass

and this amp

if you have any reccomendations or somthing feel free to post em

P.S. this will be my first bass if that matters

EDIT: my b i forgot to say i'd mostly be using the rig to write thrash kinda stuff for my songs
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by grifff
You might want to check out the Acoustic B100, 50 more watts an its cheaper I believe. The Acoustic products really are amazing.

this, or the AB50.

and as nice as that bass is, you'd be hard pressed to find a good amp that will play well with it at 500 top.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
this, or the AB50.

and as nice as that bass is, you'd be hard pressed to find a good amp that will play well with it at 500 top.

Oh im sure the Acoustic would play well with it

Just kidding, if you are only using it for low volume band practice either of the amps we listed would suit nicely.
Quote by the humanity
this, or the AB50.

well i forgot to say that i can save a more but im not wanting to spend more than $550-$600 for the whole rig including some effects and stuff
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
well i forgot to say that i can save a more but im not wanting to spend more than $550-$600 for the whole rig including some effects and stuff

Are you just using it for bedroom practice? What effects are you looking into?
^mostly bedroom but since its hard as hell to find a bass player in charlotte and guitar players are a dime a dozen i may end up playing bass in a band or two. for pedals i haven't really looked into to that to much now but i figure like a delay for sure and maybe like some other echo effect as well, maybe distortion but that depends on the amp.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Id go with an Acoustic B50 or 100, I like em. But the Ampeg would work pretty well, too. Maybe try it out, see if you like it. Maybe try findind something not so expensive, like a good P-bass perhaps, and spend a little more on the amp. Seeing as how the bass is almost $400, it doesnt leave much room for a good amp.
Quote by sandman-105
^mostly bedroom but since its hard as hell to find a bass player in charlotte and guitar players are a dime a dozen i may end up playing bass in a band or two. for pedals i haven't really looked into to that to much now but i figure like a delay for sure and maybe like some other echo effect as well, maybe distortion but that depends on the amp.

I'd wait a bit, you don't want to get pedals until you are done getting the basics.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^^ well here is the thing w/ fenders and squiers i'm pretty spoiled w/ my gibby SG so im (not to be arrogant) used to high quality and i played some fender and squier basses in my life and they just felt kinda cheap more so w/ squier. Also pretty much every fender is a bolt on neck and even though i have a strat i just really dont like having the neck heel. Also i just love the peaveys looks.

^ yeah but i use delay A LOT so i figure i'd buy at least that w/ the amp
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
^^ well here is the thing w/ fenders and squiers i'm pretty spoiled w/ my gibby SG so im (not to be arrogant) used to high quality and i played some fender and squier basses in my life and they just felt kinda cheap more so w/ squier. Also pretty much every fender is a bolt on neck and even though i have a strat i just really dont like having the neck heel. Also i just love the peaveys looks.

in bass, a bolt on usually is a major tone help.

a Squier VM however, doesn't feel cheap at all.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ i trust that fact is true but its really more of a preference than anything ya know?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by the humanity
in bass, a bolt on usually is a major tone help.

a Squier VM however, doesn't feel cheap at all.

I second this, you will use bass effects much less than you think you will. I say dont buy the pedals and just spend it all on a bass + amp.

Guitar and bass are two different instruments completely.
Quote by grifff
I second this, you will use bass effects much less than you think you will. I say dont buy the pedals and just spend it all on a bass + amp.

Guitar and bass are two different instruments completely.

in addition, most guitar delay's work fine on bass.

it's the fuzz and OD that kills you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^^ and ^ alright then i'll trust these comments and put all the money to the bass + amp

any thoughs on the bass in the OP?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
^^ and ^ alright then i'll trust these comments and put all the money to the bass + amp

any thoughs on the bass in the OP?

The bass is quite nice its more than a beginner bass.
Quote by NHMattBass
I own it.

It's a very nice bass, it has extremely low action and a paper thin neck.

For a first bass, it is really nice, however I wouldn't reccomend it because it will make it harder to get used to another bass because the neck is so thin.

For your first bass I would also reccomend something a little cheaper, so you won't feel as guilty when you want a new one.

A squier VM 70's jazz would work really well, fine beginner bass imo. Ibanez makes plenty of nice ones in the 250 and up range aswell, go to a music store, they have tons of basses in your pricerange, if for nothing else but to feel the necks and see which one feels good.

I agree on the whole thin neck thing, but what if he upgrades to an Ibanez SR500?
well i like thin necks so that is a plus but just so i know what guitar neck is comparable to the neck on the grind bass
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
well i like thin necks so that is a plus but just so i know what guitar neck is comparable to the neck on the grind bass

Go and play one.

Bass necks feel much different than guitar necks because of the string tension.
^alright not sure if the GC near me sells em but i'll look
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
idea
Quote by NHMattBass
I own it.

does the neck compare to any basses that would be at an averaged sized GC
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
you like ur sg's go get an epiphone sg bass... jk don't i'd go with an acoustic amp, ampeg is good but u dont need to pay that much for a good amp the bass u picked is nice i'm not so much for peavey's sound but playability they rock.
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
you like ur sg's go get an epiphone sg bass... jk don't i'd go with an acoustic amp, ampeg is good but u dont need to pay that much for a good amp the bass u picked is nice i'm not so much for peavey's sound but playability they rock.

on guitar it is somewhat more clear and dives less.

on bass, it is awful.

the forum is divided as of right now, safe>sorry.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ cool man will hopefully go two GC this weekend
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
If you plan on doing anything with a band that amp is garbage. It's strictly a practise amp in my mind, 50 watts and a single 12" speaker will just not cut it in a band situation. Consider spending less on the bass and more on the amp.
^well since im mostly a guitarist i'll rarely be the bassist but when i said i might use it for a band i was saying just for like fill in or some thing like that not as full member
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Jan 17, 2009,