I know, another "what amp should I buy" thread. I seriously could use some advice though. I have already bought a Peavey Valveking 112, but I just got word that the backorder will now be into February so I have the opportunity to cancel my order and find something else.

I have an extensive list of requirements, so bear with me. Versatility is king with me. I have an Epiphone G-400 custom with EMG81/85, and a Fender American Strat. Currently I'm using a Digitech GNX4 with PA speaker (which I love)....so I can basically get any tone I want, however I don't have a guitar amp at all now and Id really like a versatile amp for when I don't want to mess with the GNX4. I want an amp that:
1. Sounds great at both low and high volume
2. Can cover most styles of music (I rarely touch on country/blues, but I do hit a lot of clean pop, classic rock, and yes hard rock and metal).
3. An effects loop is desirable in case I want to hook it up to the GNX4 without coloring the tone(one of the reasons I chose the Peavey VK)
4. I would prefer a portable 1x12 combo, but I am keeping an open mind to larger or even a half stack with head as long as it also sounds good at low volume
5. I will consider used as well. I was looking through craigs list at all kinds of stuff, Marshall JCM800 heads, Peavey VK112 used, anything.....
6. I would like to keep it around $500 or less, but if it takes going up to $1000 to find what I want, Id consider it.
7. I don't care if its tube, solid state, transtube, hybrid or even a modeling amp, as long as it sounds great across the spectrum. If I'm spending $1000 though I want top notch tone.

Any amp wizards out there who can help?

Thanks
$1000?

Peavey is releasing a 6505+ 1x12 combo in your price range. I'd check it out in addition to some Mesa amps (F-30, F-50, DC-3, DC-5, .50 Caliber, Express) and if you can find one also look into a Sunn Beta Lead. If you're lucky you might find a Budda Superdrive.

Bogner Alchemist, ENGL Thunder, B-52 AT-112...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
$1000?

Peavey is releasing a 6505+ 1x12 combo in your price range. I'd check it out in addition to some Mesa amps (F-30, F-50, DC-3, DC-5, .50 Caliber, Express) and if you can find one also look into a Sunn Beta Lead. If you're lucky you might find a Budda Superdrive.

Bogner Alchemist, ENGL Thunder, B-52 AT-112...

^This.
Would that 6505 combo cover stuff other than metal? I've never played a 6505 before. How are the cleans?
Not great.

You should look into the Vox Night Train: http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/nighttrain/

Or the new Orange Dual Terror (2 channel, 30w Tiny Terror, also switchable down to 15w and 5w).

Not sure when those will be for sale, but they look damn nice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
The Mesa F-50 sounds like it'd be pretty good for what you'd want.
Second hand, the Laney VC50 is great. It's versatile, and it really does kick ass.
Orange amps would be good to look into too, but I don't really know what models to recommend.
Harmony Central would be a good resource to use, as would the reviews here on UG. If you're unsure about an amp, read as many reviews about it as you can. Should give you a good idea on what other people thought of it. That being said, don't base everything on a review. It all comes down to personal choice.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Raijouta
$1000?

Peavey is releasing a 6505+ 1x12 combo

FINALLY!!!!! thank god, next time im getting an amp, im certainly looking at those.

anyways, i say B-52 AT112. theres probably something a lot better in the price range, but if the budget goes down for some odd reason <_< it should do the job: very versatile, cheap, portable and loud enough, high gain, and if theres something it cant cover the digitech is there to help you
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
FINALLY!!!!! thank god, next time im getting an amp, im certainly looking at those.

anyways, i say B-52 AT112. theres probably something a lot better in the price range, but if the budget goes down for some odd reason <_< it should do the job: very versatile, cheap, portable and loud enough, high gain, and if theres something it cant cover the digitech is there to help you

I had one...

You should seriously get a Blackheart instead of one. I like my more expensive 100w B-52 Stack MUCH better. The AT112 didn't sound good to me at all.
The 6505 combo is certainly tempting, it seems to have a lot of the features I'm looking for....my main concern will be the lack of good cleans. I'm not looking for Twin Reverb cleans but will I be able to play clean songs without it being too harsh.