I am wanting a new guitar.

My budget is $500-$700. Will not go used. (wont say why b/c I dont want to start a flame-war.)

I play 60's jangle-pop (like the Byrds, Monkees, Zombies, Jefferson Airplane), folk (Paul Simon, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, etc.), and glam-rock (David Bowie, Iggy and the Stooges, G&R, Queen).

I want a solid-body w/ stop-bar (though I will settle for a string-through if good enough quality).

Any pick-up will do as long as the highs arent shrill or overly-bright. Something warm, but can do country (as I sometimes play country when the mood strikes me.).

What would yall suggest?
Epiphone Les Paul of somesort...the best you can get within your price range!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Epiphone Les Paul of somesort...the best you can get within your price range!

^this, or maybe a telecaster.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Fender Strat possibly... I don't have much experience with them though. I think it would fit your style however. But it's not a stopbar.
Possibly a Fender Highway One Strat, they're basically just budget American Strats.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
IMO, Fenders arent that great. I know theyre made in America, but still, I've seen better quality strats and teles for the same price.
I wouldn't recommend the Epi Les Paul for your styles, I personally find that Fenders are better guitars for the price, and as long as you're not playing metal or get an HSS with decent pickups, Fenders are good for anything.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by neptune1988
IMO, Fenders arent that great. I know theyre made in America, but still, I've seen better quality strats and teles for the same price.

Here come the fan boys...
Either the Epiphone Les Paul like the first guy suggeste, or, Fender makes some really nasty guitars in that exact price range. Fenders (like my Custom Telecaster FMT) that cost between $550 to $750 are awesome. They are the ones made in Korea. The fenders below that ($400-$500) are usually Mexican, and while they're pretty good...pots & bridges & pickup selectors & things of that nature will start to go on you within the first two years. The $600 to $700 Korean Fenders are sick though.

I think at this point Korea & Japan are outpacing the US in terms of quality guitars & basses (ESP, Ibanez, Korean Fender, etc), especially for the price. Beware of anything made in Mexico, Taiwan or Indonesia though...those axes are garbage.

If I were you, I'd either get the Epiphone Silverburts 66' Les Paul ($650.00) or the Fender Custom Tele (also about $650)

My Set-up (which can pull amazing tones for just about any genre):

Fender Custom Telecaster FMT (Amber)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-2X12
Boss Chromatic Tuner pedal, Digital Delay, Dunlop Wah (and the Vox amp channel pedal, of course).

...my entire rig cost under $2,000.00...and there's really nothing I can't do with it.

Edit:

have you ever played a fender?! I think they're fantastic...especially as far as the necks & playability are concerned. I love epiphones though too. I actually prefer Higher-end Epi's over legit Gibsons. Gibson necks feel like unfinished baseball bats to me. Oh well...good luck with the search (if you're not already 'wise' to this, use musiciansfriend.com, they have the absolute lowest prices, they ship well & immediatley, and if you get they're platinum card...you can usually buy something with no interest or monthly payments for a year...which might make it possible for you to up your minimum price range Ok, enough with the shameless commercial.
Last edited by rteishe at Jan 16, 2009,
My last post seemed unnecessary, there's no way I'm going to convince you.
Quote by stevenpollock
get a gibson melody maker their like the cousin of the LP, or you can get a Gibson LP if you get the none gloss version and about 100 extra dollars, however, i have heard that epi LP around your price range can sometimes equal mid range gibsons. and just my 2 cents used isnt that bad, its how i got my 7 string for a nice little discount
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Stock epi pups suck. You can get the SG and upgrade the pups for the price. Les Pauls might not work for country.

I find that Japanese-made guitars are marketed towards different people. Ibanez makes a lot of guitars that are for shredding, ESPs are metal guitars with EMGs. Fender, Gibson, and PRS make guitars for different audiences. Comparing the biggest American guitar makers to the biggest Japanese guitar makers is like comparing apples to oranges.

Only some fenders are made in America, most off them aren't. The actual american ones are great.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Stock epi pups suck. You can get the SG and upgrade the pups for the price. Les Pauls might not work for country.

I find that Japanese-made guitars are marketed towards different people. Ibanez makes a lot of guitars that are for shredding, ESPs are metal guitars with EMGs. Fender, Gibson, and PRS make guitars for different audiences. Comparing the biggest American guitar makers to the biggest Japanese guitar makers is like comparing apples to oranges.

Only some fenders are made in America, most off them aren't. The actual american ones are great.

What? I don't agree with any part of this answer. First off, if you don't like a guitars "stock pickups" ....change them. It's cheap & easy. A guitar's feel & playability (and, lets face it, looks) are what matter most when choosing one, cause you can't really change these things. Furthermore, as for Ibanez's being only for shredding...uh...no. Yeah, they make some setup for that, but they make plenty of other models that, like a strat, can pull off any genre of music if you know what you're doing. Same goes for ESP's (great guitars...can do so much more than metal if you have a brain). Granted, yes, some ESP's have ridiculous metal body styles (like the 'F' series), but saying that only USA fenders & gibsons can pull off classic rock & blues, or saying that comparing USA guitars to Korean & Jap guitars is apples to oranges, is retarded.
Quote by rteishe

What? I don't agree with any part of this answer. First off, if you don't like a guitars "stock pickups" ....change them. It's cheap & easy. A guitar's feel & playability (and, lets face it, looks) are what matter most when choosing one, cause you can't really change these things. Furthermore, as for Ibanez's being only for shredding...uh...no. Yeah, they make some setup for that, but they make plenty of other models that, like a strat, can pull off any genre of music if you know what you're doing. Same goes for ESP's (great guitars...can do so much more than metal if you have a brain). Granted, yes, some ESP's have ridiculous metal body styles (like the 'F' series), but saying that only USA fenders & gibsons can pull off classic rock & blues, or saying that comparing USA guitars to Korean & Jap guitars is apples to oranges, is retarded.

You completely missed the point of my post. I suggested the SG because he could immediately switch the pickups and it'll still be in his price range. Getting a Les Paul and switching the pups would be over the price range.

I didn't mean that Ibanez's are only for shredding and ESPs are only for metal, I just meant that they're marketed for those players. Go to the ESP site and who do you see? METAL players. Go to the Ibanez site and who do you see? Same thing and some people who play technical things. Ibanez's have "fast" necks for a reason. Most guitars with EMGs are targeted towards the metal crowd. I wasn't talking about MIJ fenders when I said that, because the design is still american. I'm just saying that the design approach is different when looking at Japanese and American guitars. Compare the main guitars that Fender, Gibson, and PRS makes to the main ones that ESP, Ibanez, and Caparison make. There is a huge difference in the qualities they possess. I have an American Deluxe Strat and an Ibanez RG prestige, they're both amazing in their own way, but completely different.