how can i get better, when i tend to develop muscle memory rather than getting better at techniques?

for instance, i am learning my fears have become phobias by as blood runs black, and there is a part with the open muted notes in between the unmuted notes. i have been trying to get good at alternate picking these types of riffs, and i have gotten really good at this particular one. now when i try to apply this to another riff, its back to square one. this is the case with pretty much every excersise ive used. i am not getting any better and im really trying hard to do so.

so my question, again is, how can i develop technique rather than just developing muscle memory with one particular riff or excersise?

i mean its to the point that i cant pick up and play anything; i have to sit down and practice it for a good while, and sure enough i develop muscle memory for that particular piece.

sry for the long post and i appreciate any help given. thx in advance.
I guess you could try spreading out your practicing. It sounds like to get a few excersises that teach the same thing, but you are only playing one a lot until you are able to do it well, and then you move on to the next one. Maybe you should play one of the excersises a little, play the next one a little, then go back to the first one and try it again, etc.
***No Advertising***

Quote by Anonymous

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
if there's a certain technique you want to learn, than just get the muscle memory down for a certain exercise or part of a song that has that technique in it. that's what worked for me with sweeping, i just kept learning parts to yngwie songs that have sweeping in them untill i could play a bunch of sweeps by muscle memory, and by that point, i could actually sweep
Quote by ironBLSmaiden
if there's a certain technique you want to learn, than just get the muscle memory down for a certain exercise or part of a song that has that technique in it. that's what worked for me with sweeping, i just kept learning parts to yngwie songs that have sweeping in them untill i could play a bunch of sweeps by muscle memory, and by that point, i could actually sweep

but see the only problem with that is, i develop muscle memory with fingering of that thing i practice and then when i try another thing that has different fingering, im completely lost.
but thx anyway and thx to the first replier, i will try that.
And that's how it will always be - no matter how "good" you get you're always going to have to spend time learning songs you don't know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
And that's how it will always be - no matter how "good" you get you're always going to have to spend time learning songs you don't know.

o dont get me wrong im not expecting that i can just pick up and play anything, but its just i dont get techniques down, because i tend to learn the muscle memory of whatever it is im playing before i learn the technique itself.
im not really sure how to explain it better; im not great at explaining things to begin with, so sorry for the confusion.
do finger exercises like 1,2,3,4 on all six strings and variations of it such as 1324 1243 1432. stuff like that will help build up the muscles in your fingers and youll then be able to do the technique you learn on other note patterns
You don't "learn" muscle memory. Your fingers just get used to a certain pattern.
Get a bunch of scales and do improvisations on each scale.
Do it quite slower than you're capable, than do it way faster than you're capable of (in order not to get a memory block).
Practice always helps. Hardly anyone can just read a tab and rip through it. But don't practice the same things.
Check out Shawn Lane's tips in this video.
Last edited by tenfold at Jan 17, 2009,
Well it's pretty easy. If you want to develope muscle memory keep playing the same things over and over slowly and cleanly. If you want to develope new technique you have to try new things. It's really a balence of perfecting the things you know and learning the things you don't.
Well with me, at least with chords I have found that I have excellent memory due to lots and lots of practice.

This probably is nothing new or remarkable but it works.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by ironBLSmaiden

Definitely. This man (or woman) is right. If you really want a challenge for alternate picking, play The Brighter Side of Suffering by ABRB. Downstroking is possible, but really tiring, so you gotta alt pick it. EDIT: Personally, I just play songs I like and learn techniquess from there. You should try it too.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Last edited by Froboarder at Jan 20, 2009,
Well it's normal , thats why mastering the guitar takes so many years you need to form muscle memory for alot of different tehniques and apply them to difernt parts of the fretboard.
For example I'll take the intro of Master of Puppets , after the chromatic run you get down to:
E-0-1--1---1
A-----2---3---4

After you can do that at speed start doing it a higher on the neck , like replacing the 1 with a 4 and the 2 with a 5 , the 3 with a 6 , etc. , then higher.
Then lower it down a string , then go higher and higher.

That's an exercise I've developed and it should show you how *it atlest* develope technique.