Well in shopping for my new guitar i've pretty much decided on the Schecter... I tried out a couple ESP's (MH1000 w/ SD's and the H1001 w/ EMG's), but the Schecters seem pretty much the same & are a little cheaper so most likely im going w/ them... Now the question is the pickups... I tried out the Hellraiser w/ EMG's and the C-1 Classic w/ SD's and the SD's sounded way better... The tone was very thick and full, while the EMG's gave me a nondescript tone and i couldn't really get pinch harmonics off of them. First of all, what am i missing? EMG's are supposed to be the best and yet i've tried them out several times and have not been impressed at all. Secondly, i use a Vox AD30VT, and i play stuff like Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Metallica, Winger, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, A7X, Trivium... Pretty much 80s rock/metal, and some classic & new stuff... Which would be the better pickup choice given my amp and the stuff i play?
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
Well in shopping for my new guitar i've pretty much decided on the Schecter... I tried out a couple ESP's (MH1000 w/ SD's and the H1001 w/ EMG's), but the Schecters seem pretty much the same & are a little cheaper so most likely im going w/ them... Now the question is the pickups... I tried out the Hellraiser w/ EMG's and the C-1 Classic w/ SD's and the SD's sounded way better... The tone was very thick and full, while the EMG's gave me a nondescript tone and i couldn't really get pinch harmonics off of them. First of all, what am i missing? EMG's are supposed to be the best and yet i've tried them out several times and have not been impressed at all. Secondly, i use a Vox AD30VT, and i play stuff like Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Metallica, Winger, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, A7X, Trivium... Pretty much 80s rock/metal, and some classic & new stuff... Which would be the better pickup choice given my amp and the stuff i play?

To the first bolded...if you like SD's better, get them.

To the second bold...in whos opinion? I think EMG's sound a little thin also.

No brand is the best, its all personal prefrence.
I'm missing something too. I made such a big production out of getting a Zakk Wylde set off Ebay a couple years ago, before MF and such started selling them, and it really, really, really wasn't worth it. I have them in a Jackson Warrior, and I have Invaders in my Jackson V, and the V blows it away in absolutely every style of music I try to play out of it. Thus, I've been trying to sell the Warrior..

But, yeah, the C-1 Classic is probably the best guitar you've mentioned in the thread.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
You might wanna read my EMG thread, it's got some good info.

This.The two threads are pretty similar and Nilp is right,his thread covers it pretty well.

My opinion on active pups is that they're nice when used right,but just aren't for me.I prefer my higher output passives for my distorted tones.You might want to look up the best way to apply active pups to your rig and how to achieve the best sound with them,then once you've done that,make an informed decision from there.If I were to use actives I'd personally go with the blackouts,since I found their tone to be more appealing when ran through the same amp as a similar guitar with EMG pups.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

if you could get pinch harmonics off the passive sds more easily than the active emgs, that leads me to believe that the emgs were low on battery juice powerfuel batteries.
you have a wide music taste, get the SDs
im in the market for a similar guitar atm
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
You also need to consider the guitar it is going into. Try to play through your amp too. If the guitar sucks, and the amp sucks, no pu in the world is going to make you sound any better. You cannot expect to put any signature set of pu's in any guitar, and expect to sound like that artist.
Quote by shoolocomous
if you could get pinch harmonics off the passive sds more easily than the active emgs, that leads me to believe that the emgs were low on battery juice powerfuel batteries.

Its wierd tho i've tried them in different stores, on different guitars, i really haven't gotten awesome sounds out of them... Who knows lol
Quote by HavokStrife
But, yeah, the C-1 Classic is probably the best guitar you've mentioned in the thread.

One of the best looking guitars out there... I think im getting the vintage sunburst color... I tried the same guitar a week ago (a blue one), at a diff GC, and i found it a little awkward and hard to play... Action was much higher, maybe the string gauge also... Plus the neck felt thicker but that doesnt make sense since its the same guitar lol... Either way the one i tried today felt great and sounded great... Only thing is that it doesn't have that coil-tapping feature... Do u know anything about that?
SD's, easy. To be able to use EMG to their full potential you need high-high-end amps, i'm talking Mesa boogies, kranks etc
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
EMGs arent bad. It's just that they're only good for extreme hi gain stuffs while SD can do some clean and has more dynamics tone and of course no batteries attached.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

No point getting actives if you have a modelling amp, simple as.

Go passive, pickups aren't going to have a massive influence on your tone through that amp anyway but actives work very well for in specific situations ,none of which apply in your case. They're great at pushing a tube amp into distortion earlier and will give you clarity under that distortion due to the low output of the pickups themselves. In the case of EMGs they're also great in the studio for direct recording due to the fact that they make no noise and the flat EQ curve is great for manipulating. They're also good if you run a large pedalboard and want to maintain signal integrity, they're also good if you like a bit of natural compression to creap into your clean tones so they can work well for country players too.

However, they are not "instant" metal tone by any stretch of the imagination and neither are they the best for harmonics, the best harmonics come from alnico magnets. Actives are great in the right situation, however other than that they're simply not something you need to worry about.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
I can't find the thread anymore... Did it disappear?

I had to erase it due to a flame war