ive always wondered this, and why are some fret boards radiused differently and some not at all?

this has always bothered me, i figure it was just for chords?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by JELIFISH19
I good question. I just realized that radii are for circles
hmmmm...

haha nice, it could be worse, i didnt realize how to use negative numbers for anything besides adding and subtracting untill my sophmore year algebra II class.

i figured it out though.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

boards more suited for chording are radiused for ergonomic reasons. Boards for tapping/slim fingers need an even space for optimal shredding, hence flat necks.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
to the best of my knowledge I think that the smaller radius necks that are arched are easier to play chords on, where as the the flater 9.5 and 12 radius necks are made more for picking bending type stuff. Anyone who has played 7.5 is it true that you get dead notes when bending because the string hitting the raised part of the fretboard?
Quote by gsobolevskiy
boards more suited for chording are radiused for ergonomic reasons. Boards for tapping/slim fingers need an even space for optimal shredding, hence flat necks.

makes sense, thanks.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

IIRC it's to give them different playing features.I'm not sure if I'm right but I believe a lower radius is easier for chording and a higher,flatter radius makes it easier to play fast and do bends without fretting out.Like how the Jackson necks have a compound radius that changes dimensions a long the fretboard to give easier chording near the nut and easier soloing near the high frets.Once again,not sure if that's solid,but it's the best of my knowledge on the subject.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Along those same lines, has anyone played a v shaped or u shaped neck and is it an odd feeling you have to get used to or is it natural
Quote by Pr0gNut
IIRC it's to give them different playing features.I'm not sure if I'm right but I believe a lower radius is easier for chording and a higher,flatter radius makes it easier to play fast and do bends without fretting out.Like how the Jackson necks have a compound radius that changes dimensions a long the fretboard to give easier chording near the nut and easier soloing near the high frets.Once again,not sure if that's solid,but it's the best of my knowledge on the subject.

ah! thats why my jackson feels so weird when it comes to chords on certain parts of the neck,

at the lower frets the chords are teh sex but around the 12th fret its
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by ak10
Along those same lines, has anyone played a v shaped or u shaped neck and is it an odd feeling you have to get used to or is it natural

V and U doesn't refer to the fretboard, rather the neck itself.

I personally like deeper necks so V's are great, U's feel very full in my hand, though.

It's all a matter of preference.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
There's a tele I play on every so often, and I notice the occasional bit of slippage on bends - I figured it's either because it has a smaller radius or because the fretboard has a thick finish. I couldn't tell you which of those it is, because the only other guitars that I've spent enough time with to compare it to have both larged radii and unfinished fretboards. I certainly can't seem to get used to it whatever it is. I don't like totally flat fretboards either though incidentally.
Quote by ak10
to the best of my knowledge I think that the smaller radius necks that are arched are easier to play chords on, where as the the flater 9.5 and 12 radius necks are made more for picking bending type stuff. Anyone who has played 7.5 is it true that you get dead notes when bending because the string hitting the raised part of the fretboard?

i noticed that on my strat. i thought it was the pickup poll at first
personal preference? I love pretty flat necks, flat fretboard and wide fretboard width
noone has the same hands my friend...someone else will despise this neck
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"