I just set up a WPA PSK password (at least I tried), so how do I know if it worked? Like when should it ask you for a password?
when you try to connect

and a WPA PSK is a password set to protect your wireless router from being used by other folks

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
when you try to connect

and a WPA PSK is a password set to protect your wireless router from being used by other folks

Ahhh, my brain seems exceptionally larger with that information stored.
Thank you
The Libertines
Quote by ScreamAim&Fire
Ahhh, my brain seems exceptionally larger with that information stored.
Thank you

No probs man

Quote by guitarsonist
I went on the laptop and it automatically connected so does that mean it didnt work?

If you put the password in at somepoint then it worked, if not then it didnt work

try rebooting your router

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by guitarsonist
I went on the laptop and it automatically connected so does that mean it didnt work?

disconnect from the network. then re-connect. if it asks for the password, then you know its worked.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by midi pure
disconnect from the network. then re-connect. if it asks for the password, then you know its worked.

Not necessarily; some OS's cache the network's key so you don't have to enter it in everytime. An easy way to check is to go to your routers ip address, 192.168.1.1 for Linksys, 192.168.2.1 for Belkin, 192.168.0.1 for most D-Link and Netgear.

Then go to the router's security page and check to see whether WEP/WPA is enabled.

Quote by Pabli7o
from the box it's ADMIN both user and password.

That's the router's password, not the network's. And it's different for most routers, sometimes 'admin/(blank)'. You will need to know this as well though when accessing the router's config page. Or you might have set up a different password if you used software to automate the process.
Last edited by acersucks at Jan 16, 2009,
If you set a password in the router settings but never had to enter it on your computer it's possible you forgot to save the settings on the router before you closed the router settings.
Quote by altgrunge
Speaking of wireless routers, can someone on the same network access my computer at all? I have a laptop and I thought it would be cool to access my dad's desktop from this, or be able to move files around.
You can, you have to set up a home network, windows has a setup wizard for doing so.

Both computers need to be on to access share folders though.
Quote by altgrunge
I have a home network setup I'm pretty sure. Is there anyway I can do it without him having knowledge of it?
No, you need to setup access on both computers.
Why do you want to do it without his knowledge? You tryna steal all his files or something? haha