Poll Options
View poll results: Is this breakthough?
No
50 91%
Yes
5 9%
Voters: 55.
Alright, this is dumb.

I was talking about my band, and we're a dual lead guitar band. One guitarist is a blues/classical guitarist, that's me, and the other guitarist is a thrash guitarist. We also have 3 singers (one has high Klaus Meine/Vince Neil range and he's the lead singer, and another has a middle ranged voice, and me, I have a really deep range). The middle ranged singer and I are the dual lead guitarists, and we're the background singers.

But apparently this is "extremely breakthrough" although, I don't think so, as many 80s bands are dual lead, and Axl Rose and Freddie Mercury have overdubbed high/mid/low ranges all at the same time so it's practically the same thing.

Anyone else agree or disagree? I'm puttin' up a poll too.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
You're a metal guitarist. You know that there are tons of metal bands that don't divide their guitarists into "rhythm" and "lead." It's just two guitarists. This is your explanation.

Sounds like an interesting mix, though.

EDIT: Just noticed the three vocalists thing. There are backup singers aplenty in bands, and there are overdubs for ranges beyond two simultaneously, like you said.

There are also bands that have a guitarist and bassist (or both guitarists) sing backup vocals. Thus, three vocalists. I can't remember any by name, but I know I've seen 'em.

Heck, Bang Camaro has 10+ vocalists. A "rock choir", if you will. They hire new people for every concert; it's cheaper than driving 10+ drunken 20-year-olds around for a whole tour.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Last edited by Athetosis at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by Athetosis
You're a metal guitarist. You know that there are tons of metal bands that don't divide their guitarists into "rhythm" and "lead." It's just two guitarists. This is your explanation.

EDIT: Just noticed the three vocalists thing. There are backup singers aplenty in bands, and there are overdubs for ranges beyond two simultaneously, like you said.

There are also bands that have a guitarist and bassist (or both guitarists) sing backup vocals. Thus, three vocalists. I can't remember any by name, but I know I've seen 'em.

Heck, Bang Camaro has 10+ vocalists. A "rock choir", if you will. They hire new people for every concert; it's cheaper than driving 10+ drunken 20-year-olds around for a whole tour.

I'm not a metal guitarist. I'm a blues guitarist, I just have a lot of rock elements sorta added like Slash, Joe Perry, and Clapton.

Yeah, I dunno why he thinks its cool and breakthrough we have 3 vocalists.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Athetosis

Dying Fetus?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Corruption
I'm not a metal guitarist. I'm a blues guitarist, I just have a lot of rock elements sorta added like Slash, Joe Perry, and Clapton.

Oops, my bad. I read that as you being the thrash guitarist.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
It sounds like your Boston, not breakthrough. I like the Boston sound, if you guys are good arrangers it should be good.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
It sounds like your Boston, not breakthrough. I like the Boston sound, if you guys are good arrangers it should be good.

You're forgetting Boston didn't have Kirk Hammett playing for them

If you're decent though, you could put together some pretty cool stuff. My other guitarist and I are almost cut from the same cloth except he tends to play more like Angus Young and I take the Dave Murray approach (super-fast hammer-ons and whammy bar stuff). It comes together pretty well though

You should feel lucky that you two are more diverse ( I think, not sure what you mean by a thrash guitarist specifically ).
cool, but not revolutionary. lots of bands i've heard of have done stuff like that. my own little jam band has a funk rock bassist, hard blues guitarist with metal influences (me), another guitarist who's style is a motley mix of jazz, fusion, blues and metal (think marty friedman lol), a classically trained keyboardist and a punk/metal drummer, and yet we manage to make this all fit and sound musically pleasing in our jams. each of us sing, 1 axl rose/steven tylerish high range (me), real grungish and normal.

whatever you want, do. if it makes your music sound sweet, go for it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
I'm not understanding this term 'breakthrough'
Does it simply refer to anyone who has three part harmonies in their act that are sung to the accompanyment of a backing band?
Does than mean that The Beverley Sisters from the 1950s are breakthrough?
Does that mean I've been playing in breakthrough bands for most of my life where myself, the guitarist and the drummer all handle harmonies?
My band (4peice) has 3 part harmonies live. Im the only one in the band who can't sing so don't sing backup :P

Vocal harmonies add a kind of class to the band, and will set you apart from many other local/unsigned acts who don't use vocal harmonies.

On the new demo my band, over dubs the lead vocals twice. Then there's lower 5th, 3rd and 5th harmonies, sometimes going up to the octave. When it's all mixed nicely, it sounds great.

Overdubbing the lead vocals gives the most natural choral effect and sounds like theres a real "wall of sound" coming towards you. For the real recording, we're gonna overdub everything i think, we could probably just use a chorus pedal for the guitars and stuff, with a tiny delay on it and 1 single repeat but it just wouldn't sound natural enough.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jan 17, 2009,
The beatles had a lead singer - any one of the four of them would sing lead for different songs usually though it would be John or Paul while the other would join George on vocal harmonies. Though, George was their definitely their lead guitarist.

"Breakthrough" is not just about makeup of your band -who plays what- it's about what you do with what you've got.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
The beatles had a lead singer - any one of the four of them would sing lead for different songs usually though it would be John or Paul while the other would join George on vocal harmonies. Though, George was their definitely their lead guitarist.

"Breakthrough" is not just about makeup of your band -who plays what- it's about what you do with what you've got.

So 'breakthrough' is a band that shares lead vocals and does harmonies? Or is there something more to 'breakthrough' than that?
Can you elaborate?
Quote by Corruption

Yeah, I dunno why he thinks its cool and breakthrough we have 3 vocalists.

If you guys are three lead vocalists then it's rare in the mainstream rock buis.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Superstrat101
You're forgetting Boston didn't have Kirk Hammett playing for them

You should feel lucky that you two are more diverse ( I think, not sure what you mean by a thrash guitarist specifically ).

I hate Boston... and by thrash guitarist I mean metallica and megadeth, except my other guitarist is amazing.

Quote by SlackerBabbath
I'm not understanding this term 'breakthrough'

Breakthrough as in never been done before. that's why its not breakthrough.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
If you guys are three lead vocalists then it's rare in the mainstream rock buis.

We're not 3 leads. Usually its 1st, b3rd, 5th like a minor chord with the b3rd dropped an octave and a 5th dropped two octaves. and its not 3 leads, its 1 with 2 background singers
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
yes, actually this is pretty normal for a great deal of bands, but it does give you alot to work with. i'm in a three peice, so we don't have 2 guitars, but we all sing, so it lends itself to a lot of diversity. i actually disagree with having a "rhythm" or "Lead" guitarist, i think everyone is an individual, and does both in their own right, and sohould be allowed to. i would never let a guitarist just be rhythm, because i think there's more to playing then just that, and everyopne has their own voice. Not to mention i love to hear people play! it also lends itself to bad feelings as well, and the rhythm guitarist can feel underused/underappreciated
yeah I know whatcha mean Jester, but we don't have a rhythm guitarist, except the singer plays every now an then, but only for like 3-track songs we play like our instrumental with my pianist friend and when we play God Bless the Children of the Beast he plays the begginning part that goes through the song, and he doesn't care about the name, cuz he's the singer, and that's his most important part.
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!