View poll results: Which Finish?
Paul Gilbert-esque Style
22 49%
Straight Red Finish
14 31%
Straigt White Finish
9 20%
Voters: 45.
Okay so Im rebuilding my RG and I need some opinions of finish ideas... I have done up 3 that I really like and I can't pick which one looks best, so thats where I need yalls help.

I also need some suggestions of what to do to strip the old finish off. Should I use a chemical stripper? I have done that once with an old acoustic and it didnt really soak into the wood or anything, but it wasn't a true liquid, it was more of a gel. Or should I just sand the piss out of it for days to take it off that way?
Yeah the top one is my favorite of all three of them... I really like white guitars and I dont like the pickup configuration on my guitar because it seems that the pickups are all sandwiched too close together for my liking, but I love the shape and feel of the body and neck, so... But I figured that the neck single might be a bit of a throwback to the 80's and I kinda like the 80's sound and look (of guitars anyway)...
Quote by enselmis
i like the first one, looks like it would really scream with the X2N pickup. also the neck single coil would be nice as opposed to a middle single coil.

Ew, no. X2Ns are way too noisy, their highs are harsh, their lows are non-existant and their mids are harsh.

tl;dr: Don't get an X2N, whatever you do.

as for the first one, are you actually going to fill up the middle SC slot, and fill up part of the neck humbucker's slot? Seems like a waste of an HSH guitar to me.

Plus, Paul has his knob + switch inside the f-hole. The volume knob at the bottom, and the 5-way in the middle. What's the point of getting PG F-Holes if you're not putting the knobs/switches in it?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
Ew, no. X2Ns are way too noisy, their highs are harsh, their lows are non-existant and their mids are harsh.

as for the first one, are you actually going to fill up the middle SC slot, and fill up part of the neck humbucker's slot? Seems like a waste of an HSH guitar to me.

Plus, Paul has his knob + switch inside the f-hole. The volume knob at the bottom, and the 5-way in the middle. What's the point of getting PG F-Holes if you're not putting the knobs/switches in it?

it seems you have forgotten that personal opinions don't influence reality, sir! Just because you don't like the X2N doesn't mean the TS won't love it to death. I have no defined liking or disliking of the pickup, I'm just saying the TS didn't ask for input on his electronics choice, and further more it is HIS prerogative to go to a music store and try a Dean or something with the X2N in it to see if it suits his taste, not yours.

I don't mean to offend, I'm just saying that beauty is in the ear of the beholder, so let him make his own choice.

As for my subjective opinion concerning his 3 finish options, the only difference between the top one and the last one are the F-holes and the pickups, so it really just comes down to the F-holes, electronics aside. Personally, I like the look of the top one. Some people aren't gettin' down with the F-holes, but I think they add a unique personality to the guitar, something you don't see all the time.

Anyways, that's my $.02.
gilbert
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
PGM with floyd is FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by V.U.K

Well I have played several X2N equipped guitars before and I like the rhythm sounds that they produce in the bridge position... I always solo and do all of my leads on the neck anyway, so... But Im not sure if I will end up getting the actual X2N pickup or the guitar fetish equivalent... That is still up in the air, because I love the DiMarzio pickup but I have also heard great things about the GFS pickups...

Yes I am planning on, should I go with the first one, to fill in the middle cavity and the neck then re-route in the neck position for the single coil, which will probably be a rail humbucker of some sort... I would be doing that because it is a bit of a throwback to the 80's metal/hard rock guitars, which as I have said, I like. It may seem like a waste to you, but it seems like a waste to me to have a middle pickup that I never use (because I find that having 5 different settings as a bit of overkill) plus it gives it a bit more of a classy look in my opinion...

Finally, the f-holes are not intended to mask the knobs or switch on my design but rather to accentuate the over all design and ad a bit of a "classical instrument" vibe to a guitar that will not sound as such, thus making it not really fit in and by extension taking in my persona of not wanting to fit in as well... Thus making my guitar a complete extension of my own personality...
do the pgm looking one. that one is sick.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Ok guys, the voting is getting really close and I am about to be starting to order the parts and getting paint so I really need yalls final push to help me decide which one to go with...
Quote by V.U.K

the f holes are painted on -.-
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Ok, so it appears that the PGM style has taken a commanding lead... Within the next few weeks I will be getting all of the parts and materials together and will be starting on this... I actually think that I may just recess the FR trem because I found some of my router bits that will allow me to do that easier... So thanks everyone for the help on deciding what to go with and if yall can think of anything else that I should do or possibly change, please by all means, let me know...
red.

I'm not into new fangled "hip and trendy" superstrats - I pine for the unashamedly 80's ones.
Ok, so I have decided to go with the first one... Im changing it a bit and going with ivory instead of white... And its going to be H/H instead of H/S...

So updates... My camera is busted so until next week I probably wont be able to take any pics, but I'll give you some updates... I got the whole body sanded down to the clear acrylic stuff that they put over the wood to seal it... I decided that it would be more of a pain to try and sand that off so I didnt worry about it...

I used a piece of poplar to fill in the single coil cavity... Filler over it to smooth out the seams and make it smooth and flush... I sanded the whole thing down to 220 grit and sprayed a coat of the ivory over it to help accentuate the areas that need further refinement... I brought it in and disaster struck...

The body fell off the hook and bounced off my concrete floor... I took a chip out of the bottom of the body, nothing major just most of the acrylic sh*t broke off, and chipped the lower horn... So now I am having to go back and fill in the body and see how well I can get it smoothed out... I was hoping to get it ready to pain this weekend so when I order parts on the first of next week I would have two weeks of letting the paint dry before I even had any parts... But now, who knows how long it will take to fix the screwed up areas... Im hoping that I can have it still ready for paint by this weekend, but only time will tell...