something i dont understand is, are headphones active speakers? the reason i might say yes is because they take line level signals as opposed to the signal level of the output of a head. the reason i say no is, most dont use batteries/any source of power. so whats the answer?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i think their passive since they don't need a 2ndary battery source, out of curiosity what make you ask a odd question like that
Headphones are passive components. They are passive, since they don't change or modify the signal they receive. They simply take the signal and convert it into magnetic waves - waves that cause the voice coil to move towards and away from the fixed magnet.

Other passive components are resistors, capacitors, inductors, transformers and diodes.
Quote by kckyle
i think their passive since they don't need a 2ndary battery source, out of curiosity what make you ask a odd question like that

thats actually a good question *thinks*

uhh, your mom told me to

/lame joke
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
thats actually a good question *thinks*

uhh, your mom told me to

/lame joke

why'd you say it if you knew it was lame.
Definitely passive....the easiest way to realize this is to plug them into a guitar...no sound is produced. Gotta throw an amp in the mix. The only headphones that take batteries are noise-canceling or have FM receivers. Unless there are some new headphones with built in amps out there.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.