Is anyone on track and field at school? I'm a complete newb at this whole thing, and conditioning starts next week. I have no idea what events I'm suited for (I kind of want to do high jump though). Any advice for a newcomer?
I love track! I do shotput and discus. Your coaches could probably tell you more about what event to do than we could. I've tried highjump, its fun.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I did to 400m a while back. I was decent at it. Everyone i knew was surprised
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Your starting outdoor in January??

I'm running Indoor track currently - started up in November. I love the sport.. its amazing - but its not for everyone!

Basically you gotta get ready for hard work.. if you haven't started, you really need to get running and get in shape. Workouts are MUCH harder than anybody thinks.

Once you start track you really gotta figure out what you are. A sprinter, distance runner, or thrower. The jumpers are almost always sprinters.

Once you figure out what you are best in you really just have to try everything and get used to it.. if its your first year, you may use it to figure out your event.
Quote by soccerguy6494
distance runners are most toothpickish

fixed
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by iantheman
fixed

ha.
id like to see a fat kid run a mile under 6 minutes

edit: no offence or anything
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
build up strength by running daily, treadmill or outside. Your coach should be able to recommend what you should do for your team.

If there's cuts, a thing a lot of coaches look for is whether your times/distance have been improving, or whether they've stayed the same. Keep that in mind.
High jump is all head games, you're perfectly capable of jumping well over your own height if you can wrap your mind around the concept - Just don't focus on the height of the bar, and don't get frustrated I loved high jump
And if you're serious about it, start plyometrics right away, Air Alert 3 is effective, if you do it properly it'll make you faster and help you jump ALOT higher. Cheers
Last edited by Duerksen at Jan 29, 2009,
I never did track, but I'm pretty fast.
Like, in races I can beat some of the kids I know who run on the team but I don't have the time for practices and conditioning. I'm too busy with marching band, playing guitar and piano, homework, and trying to squeeze in time for friends.
Over here in the UK we call it Athletics and I used to do the 100m, 200m, long jump and 4x100m relay.

I used to mainly focus on the 100m and the relay though.

Getting conditioned for the new season is hard work, but stick with it and you'll be fine.
Empty Space
Quote by RileyB

Basically you gotta get ready for hard work.. if you haven't started, you really need to get running and get in shape. Workouts are MUCH harder than anybody thinks.

This. when i'm off-season for any sport, i make it a point to do workouts that are harder than the workouts i do in the program. you'd rather be exhausted on your own time alone than fall behind when you do workouts all together.

high-jump, huh? hmmm... i didn't do high-jump, but i think you should probably do some calf and quad stuff in particular. and definitely run some distance or something, for general fitness.

Quote by Duerksen
And if you're serious about it, start plyometrics right away, Air Alert 3 is effective, if you do it properly it'll make you faster and help you jump ALOT higher. Cheers

oh yeah, do some plyometrics. word of warning tho, you're going to be very sore. but that's not to discourage you, it's just so you know what to expect; don't let natural workout pain hold you back from being a bad-ass.
Quote by Joetime
Every time I masturbate it feels like I'm committing a small scale infanticide. Feels cool.
Last edited by psychogel at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by soccerguy6494
distance runners are most badass

idk who you are soccerguy, but you and I, we're friends now

soccer and cross-country, the best sports in the world.

Quote by minifridge
do 2 mile. it's for badasses

although i wish my school had 3 mile cuz that's for extreme badasses like steve prefontaine

yes, 2 mile is for bad-asses. specifically, bad-asses who ran 3 mile races in cross-country. hint hint. seriously tho, if you want to run 3 miles, track isn't the place for it. ask your coaches about a cross-country program.
Quote by Joetime
Every time I masturbate it feels like I'm committing a small scale infanticide. Feels cool.
Last edited by psychogel at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by psychogel
idk who you are soccerguy, but you and I, we're friends now

soccer and cross-country, the best sports in the world.

yes, 2 mile is for bad-asses. specifically, bad-asses who ran 3 mile races in cross-country. hint hint. seriously tho, if you want to run 3 miles, track isn't the place for it. ask your coaches about a cross-country program.

could we be.. twins separated at birth?
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
I do track, 400m in outdoor and 500m/600m/400m in indoor.
High jump is good if you can clear at least 5'8", my school has the two best jumpers in our section (which has semi-weak competition this year) at like 6'2" and 6'0"

Edit: also, it's all in the glutes(sp?) man.
Last edited by me_llamo_juan at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by the fendernator
They'll probably recommend you for javelin, shotput etc if you're well built or long distance if you're skinny and have got dogged determination. Best thing to do is to try everything. I had a go at pole vaulting recently and it was so much fun - don't say no to anything.

This. Look for something you're good at and enjoy doing....

...although distance is the most badass
Back in the day, I was. Ran the 100, 200, and 400.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
If you want to be successful, be ready to put in some hard work. If you're motivated, you actually learn to enjoy running.

Sort of off topic, what kinds of times are run at all your guys schools?
I was 16 last year and I ran:
100m - 11.22s
200m - 22.82s
400m Relay - 44.41s

I'm from northern California, USA
I'm like within 0.3s of my school records on those 3
Our season is nearing the end.. anybody else running right now? im a freshmen (15) PR's for this season are

400m - 54.12
800m - 2:05.79

not the best but im pretty happy with them. anybody else run those events?
long distance is the way to go
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
everyone who does track is a douche...at least at my school

edit: oh **** Sunburst PR is 1337. damn
Call me Jack
Last edited by srv_king at Apr 26, 2009,
i think track is the most pointless sport there is. anyone can be good at track as with other sports it takes skill...