I've been playing guitar for over 15 years (Fender Strats).

I got an Epiphone SG 400 today through a trade and played for several hours and it was AWESOME!!!

It is light as a feather and most comfortable to play. Those humbuckers give a full rich tone and the guitar stayed in tune all day.

It almost makes me want to trade or sell my two USA Fender Strats towards a Gibson SG or throw some humbuckers in them.

It seems I have needlessly overlooked the SG over the years.

I'm going to Git Center to check out a Standard Gibson SG this weekend!
Lol. This is why you should never be a fanboy of a certain guitar brand. Explore.
lol, good find
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
And just think, the Epiphone SG model is almost completely garbage compared to the real thing.

That said, the second you sell your Strats I can almost promise you that you'll miss them. So keep a Strat, and find a better way to get your hands on an SG.
You should play a EBMM JP6 or JP7 if you think the SG is comfortable. That thing is like sex in a guitar.
OOps. I haven't been on the forum for a while and didn't see that mega thread "SG users unite."

I think I'll get all the SG I'll ever need there.
Quote by icronic
And just think, the Epiphone SG model is almost completely garbage compared to the real thing.

That said, the second you sell your Strats I can almost promise you that you'll miss them. So keep a Strat, and find a better way to get your hands on an SG.

The Epiphone's have better QC. The Epiphone Elitist SG's are the best SG's out there.

Get a Epiphone 1966 G-400. Comes with True Heritage Cherry. Then, go to Guitar Fetish and get some of their Mean 90 pickups.
Quote by icronic

Completely Garbage? The only thing keeping me from the standard Gibson SG is the price. I saw that the faded series is reasonable though.
Quote by Roast Beef
I'd call advertising but you registered in 04

what the hell do you think he was advertising??
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by area5x1
You should play a EBMM JP6 or JP7 if you think the SG is comfortable. That thing is like sex in a guitar.

He is so right.
yeah.....dead serious. The guy tried an SG and liked it........so, he made a thread about it. Its more interesting to read than the 100 "what type of guitar should I buy" when they aren't planning on buying for 2 years.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I agree with Paith here.

anyway glad you found a guitar you love man.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Nice man. I was a Les Paul guy, then once I tried an SG, I was like... woah...
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

The Epiphone's have better QC. The Epiphone Elitist SG's are the best SG's out there.

Get a Epiphone 1966 G-400. Comes with True Heritage Cherry. Then, go to Guitar Fetish and get some of their Mean 90 pickups.

The Epiphone Elitist series did not include an SG model. Only Les Pauls and (semi-)hollow-bodies were in it.

Don't sell your strats. Save up for a Gibson if you want to.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Jan 16, 2009,
I bought a custom alpine white G-400 with EMG's in it this year. I will never get rid of the guitar. I actually didnt like it too much at first because it was so different than anything I was used to, but now I can't go a day without picking it up.
Quote by Pencil Man
The Epiphone Elitist series did not include an SG model. Only Les Pauls and (semi-)hollow-bodies were in it.

Don't sell your strats. Save up for a Gibson if you want to.

Nah, I can't part with them. But the SG opened a whole new world since it's new to me. Maybe a new style guitar (SG) will also aid in creative playing.
thats so funny i just sold my SG and am in search for an american strat.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
thats so funny i just sold my SG and am in search for an american strat.

What SG was it? What made you dump the SG for a Strat?
theres wayy too much difference between a sg and a strat. i own both for quite a while now and i still can't decide which one to be my main guitar.

btw ts. you can find a mint condition sg standard for around 1 grand easily on ebay and craigslist. and because of the new fraud protection no one dares to sale fake gibsons whilst pretending its the real thing unless they're in some remote country.
wow....... i'm so glad that you have been playing strictly fender for FIFTEEN YEARS without trying something different
That's funny, I have a Epi G-400 and I hate it. Then I bought an American Deluxe strat and I fell in love with it. Put 2 Dirty Fingers in the Epi, it had one of the sickest tones I've ever heard. But I only played it about 3 times (literally). I just couldn't go back to the Epi. Then I got a Ibanez RG prestige. Love that too. My Epi just collects dust now and I'm trying to sell it. Now all Gibsons feel wrong to me. I think it's the scale length. But the main problems I had with the Epi were the pickups (I eventually changed them), it nose dove, it hugged my body in a strange way, the frets weren't smooth on the edges, and I'm not really a fan of finished necks. I plan on getting a PRS Mira and putting some high output buckers in it. The closest thing to the SG with a longer scale length

That's not a fact in any way, just your opinion. I have seen several on this board who say they prefer Epi SGs to Gibsons for various reasons.

I have a G-400 I purchased last year. It's neck heavy and that's annoying at times, but not a deal-breaker. The stock pickups are kind of weak and the tone they give is a little too dull for my tastes, but I swapped the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan SH-5 and it sounds great now. It's sturdy and reliable and stays in tune.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass