Well I've heard that the plus has less distortion, but still a lot. Apparently the plus has better cleans, which still aren't good, but nobody buys a 6505 for the cleans anyways. I'd get the regular if I were you.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by ibanezshred503
ebay a 5150, I personally think the 6505s suck compared to a 5150

They're the EXACT same amp. Same exact components.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
They're the EXACT same amp. Same exact components.

+1

Quote by ibanezshred503
Dude it sounds different.... It cant be the "exact" same Or they wouldnt have spend the money to change the name... theres obviously different qualities about the 6505 then the 5150

The 6505 is only called the 6505 because it was introduced on the 40th Anniversary of the company. It came out in 2005, which is 40 years later from the debut year of Peavey. 1965-2005 = 6505. Same amp, just a special name for it.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Jan 16, 2009,
im personally going for the + version

while there appears to be "Less gain", the amp still has more than you will ever need and the clean channel is slightly better
its also a lot more tweakable given that each channel has seperate controls!

5150/6505 = SAME AMP
the only reason i personally think people say they sound different is because most of the old 5150s have been well broken in and set up with different tubes etc...
Top lel.
Quote by ibanezshred503
ebay a 5150, I personally think the 6505s suck compared to a 5150

haha
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 16, 2009,
id get the 6505, its cheaper and lets face it, if you looking at a 6505 your not exactly looking for pristine fenderesque cleans.
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
The cleanest I'd be looking for is something similar to Call of Ktulu, if that. I always thought stuff sounded a bit better with a nice crunch to it, if I'm not needing the full on distortion.
Get whichever is more expensive. That way you know it's going to be better.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']The cleanest I'd be looking for is something similar to Call of Ktulu, if that. I always thought stuff sounded a bit better with a nice crunch to it, if I'm not needing the full on distortion.

ok then definatly get the 6505, its crunch button has a really nice tone if you know how to eq
Gear:

Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Are the cleans on a 6505 unuseable? I'm considering the upcoming 1 x 12 combo, but I don't want to completely abandon playing clean tones. Should I look elsewhere?
Quote by VoodooCow229
Get whichever is more expensive. That way you know it's going to be better.

Right. Just like Honda S2000's are worth 30K and I still beat them on the highway on a daily basis on the way to work. Money doesn't always equal quality, mate. Mmk?
Quote by GuitarDTO
Are the cleans on a 6505 unuseable? I'm considering the upcoming 1 x 12 combo, but I don't want to completely abandon playing clean tones. Should I look elsewhere?

there more than usable, there pretty good for a highgain head. most people jump on the 6505/5150 clean hating bandwagon, but my 5150 has more than "usable" cleans.
Gear:

Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']+1
The 6505 is only called the 6505 because it was introduced on the 40th Anniversary of the company. It came out in 2005, which is 40 years later from the debut year of Peavey. 1965-2005 = 6505. Same amp, just a special name for it.That part is true but trust me, I think Peavey would have much rather just kept on using the 5150 name if they could. Unfortunately, the name didn't belong to them. It belongs to Eddie Van Halen. When he broke from Peavey to create his own brand 'EVH', he took the name 5150 with him - so Peavey had to come with something else.

If I were trying to decide on $150 between a 5 and a 5+, I'd be looking for a used 5150 with a recent tube job and a decent cab. If you need a stack that is. There is a new 6505 112 combo coming out that I hear will be in $600 area.
Quote by ibanezshred503
i swear it sounds different tho, cause I have a 5150 but my my bass players brother has a 6505+ and we play all the time.

It may be the tubes or something.

No the 6505+ is the 5150 II, and the 6505 is the 5150.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ibanezshred503
Dude it sounds different.... It cant be the "exact" same Or they wouldnt have spend the money to change the name... theres obviously different qualities about the 6505 then the 5150

Wrong.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That part is true but trust me, I think Peavey would have much rather just kept on using the 5150 name if they could. Unfortunately, the name didn't belong to them. It belongs to Eddie Van Halen. When he broke from Peavey to create his own brand 'EVH', he took the name 5150 with him - so Peavey had to come with something else.

If I were trying to decide on $150 between a 5 and a 5+, I'd be looking for a used 5150 with a recent tube job and a decent cab. If you need a stack that is. There is a new 6505 112 combo coming out that I hear will be in $600 area.

I'm looking for a head. My friend is offering me $1400 for my Marshall 2466 Head. I have a 425A Cabinet, I just need a good solid head, and I don't feel like buying Marshall again. Speaking of, how do you think a 6505 or a 5150 would sound through a 425A?